Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ear tags

A buddy of mine gave me a call today, said he had some trail cam pictures of 2 does with ear tags, both white. I know of a high fence hunting preserve around 3 miles away, so i am assuming that is where they came from. Deer must have learned a few tricks from prison break.;) Anyone know if it is legal to harvest deer with ear tags?

I don't know if this would apply or not, you should check with someone much more authoritative than I...but several years ago a friend had spied some sort of exotic deer on his property. He contacted the DNR and they were aware of it, in fact, as I recall, they thought that there should be two of them on the loose. Apparently they had escaped from someone in the general area.

At any rate, the DNR personnel gave my buddy the green light to drop those exotics on sight and encouraged him to do so, as there was some concern about either potential disease and/or cross breeding, etc. I don't think my friend ever saw them again, but I suspect that the DNR may have similar feelings about other "escapees". But, be safe, check with them first before lighting them up! :)

Silly question, I assume the tags were white and not the deer?

I have had conversations with DNR folks about non-native deer species, particularly fallow deer, in Iowa. They do not want them on the loose but I would still check in with the local CO.

I was hunting up in the mountains of NE Iowa a few years ago and had a doe with a button fawn come by me. The button fawn had a red ear tag. I thought about popping the fawn for CWD testing but thought better of it. By the time my brain slowly churned to the fact I should have shot the doe instead, assuming the doe and fawn were related, they were long gone.

It wasn't until shotgun season when someone besides me saw the ear tag that anybody actually believed that I had seen an ear tagged deer. What have I ever said or written that would imply that what I say or write isn't 100% true and honest? :p

My brother hit a deer several years ago up by Lake City that had a tag in it's ear. The insurance company was certainly interested in trying to track down the farm it originated from since they could treat it as livestock that got out and try to get the farmers insurance to pay for the damage.

My brother hit a deer several years ago up by Lake City that had a tag in it's ear. The insurance company was certainly interested in trying to track down the farm it originated from since they could treat it as livestock that got out and try to get the farmers insurance to pay for the damage.

Probably a cattle farmer (or his son) out checking for new calves, stumbled on a fawn and ear tagged it since he had the gear with him. Just for grins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^ I know guys that tag fawns every year just for fun & to keep track of them over the years. Checking pastures/fences & stumble on them.

^^^ I know guys that tag fawns every year just for fun & to keep track of them over the years. Checking pastures/fences & stumble on them.
I let one out of a snare a few years back. I always wished I would of had a tagger with me. That would of really got the neighborhood talking.

I was thinking the same as above on someone randomly tagging. See if you can post a pic. I'd bet the tags would tell the story whether from a deer farm or someone tagging after stumbling on a fawn.

Top Bottom