Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buck Doe ratio

Mattstark44

So each year observed on my trail cameras and sitting in the stand I see about 10 bucks to 1 doe. I'm wondering if this is a good or bad thing. I love to see this but never want to shoot a doe for the freezer because I want to get more doe on the property. That being said I don't see a lot of fawns.

During the rut I'd say that's about right where I'm at. Does are busy being bred or hiding from aggressive males. Bucks are roaming looking for every piece of tail they can find. The rest of the year I see far more does than bucks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mattstark-
Just out of curiousity, can you describe your land and habitat for me (acres, cover, water, food, etc). My land turned to mainly bucks after I made habitat changes and interested to see if your property has similarities.

IMO, it's hard too get an accurate representation of ratios unless you can monitor the entire heard as Buck/doe habitat areas change throughout the year. you may just have a prime buck area for this time of year.

As long as you have good numbers of bucks throughout all age classes, then you have does in the area.

Thanks

It's big hardwood timber completely surrounded by bean, corn and alfalfa. That's true, I do have all age classes of bucks. Just seems like it needs more does for balance. It's not a bad situation just curious on other's thoughts.

Thanks Mattstark- that makes perfect sense to me then. On my property I have found that the does/fawns stay pretty tight to the alfalfa and beans(many times bedding right in it) throughout much of the year and the bucks tend to hold off further in the timber. There was a video posted a couple weeks ago on this site about creating a "Doe Factory". Sounds like you have attained the opposite, which is GREAT!

If you want more does then I would experiment with planting a plot of beans late season and then top dressing it with Rye in September. my 2 cents

Good luck with your hunting!

Is this mainly in November or is this other times like October/December ? Or even summer?
10 to 1 - bucks to does- only time I’ve ever seen that was in November. Like u said- does hiding from bucks. Fawns often booted during breeding time.
What time of year u seeing this situation? Does the ground seem like it has low, medium or high deer #’s in general?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom