Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking for some advice

203ntyp

PMA Member
I shot a pretty nice buck this morning at 8:50 am, don't know where I hit him. He was standing in tall grass and I couldn't tell where he was hit. He tucked his tail and wheeled around and trotted down into a small hollow with a small stream running through it, pretty thick in there but not a real big area, maybe 2 acres.

I did find a few drops of blood where he was standing but no arrow so I backed out. The hollow he ran into had 3 doe and a small buck go into it earlier this morning but I didn't see any deer spook and run out. There is a hard road about 100 yards below, I circled away from the hollow and walked along the hard road to see if there was any fresh tracks or blood coming down the bank to cross the road but didn't see anything fresh.

I am planning on going back to look in about 4 hours with some help, is that a good idea? It would be tough mentally to wait 24 hours and the temperatures are kinda high for this time of year here. Needless to say I'm a little shook up.

Pretty sure it wasn't gut shot, I could here the thud, just not sure if it's too low or too far front towards the brisket?

I think its plenty cool to let him sit until tomorrow if you feel the need.

It's going up to the mid 60's today and only down to 50 tonight, upper 60's tomorrow. I'm up in the air, might get my son to come over and sit across the road, he almost has go that way, there's a creek not far off the road. Just one of those tense decision making moments that no on likes to address but that's part of hunting.

Didnt realize you were in PA.... its 27° and 2" snow here in IA so...

Good luck. Waiting 4 or 5 hours and having a poster across the road as you SLOWWWWWWLY track is a great scenario.

That being said, recovery of the animal tends to make me be cautious regardless of temps. I'll generally wait over taking a chance of bumping.

Done deal, one lung but found him about 60 yards from where I shot him. The bad part is he was at the bottom of a steep small hollow, probably about a 45 degree angle and 45 yards down, he was like try to drag an anchor. Had to improvise and tied about 150' of rope to my truck and slowly drug him up while a friend guided. He's not big by mid-west standards but was very happy. He's a 6, without brows (broke off) and about 18" wide. Pics posted later.....

Nice work! Glad you found him. Sounds like a heck of a drag up that hill, but a little ingenuity saved the day.

great to hear, these fricken deers sure can add a lot of grey hairs, but for some reason we just can't get enough, gotta love it

great to hear, these fricken deers sure can add a lot of grey hairs, but for some reason we just can't get enough, gotta love it

How true, even after 52 years of hunting we still punish ourselves but the rewards outweigh the frustrations. I still get just as excited as I did when I was 12 but some days I tell myself I'm getting too old for this shit but the passion keeps us going!

Top Bottom