Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Views From The Stand 2019

Cool kitty picture. I saw 0 deer this morning. Several toms and a coyote, but not a single deer.

moved to a different part of the farm, hoping they wanna feed on some buck forage oats this afternoon, only saw a 3 pt around 11 30 about an hour after the family of cats came through
576dbe130b0dba9e4dcb5c6bea0bcc23.jpg
fcad506abfac05b6c57af0b91d1004a1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

All kinds of action tonight. Came real close to taking out our #1 target. Snort wheezed him, but slid downwind and boogered on me. Crap. Another nice buck walked right in behind that. But I passed him. Then...here comes a bobcat...tried to attack the decoy.
de442db54f006179cd3a18a47b1c5da4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Welp...we have some good bucks on cam on this area and I walked past a nice rub on the way in too. So we'll see what happens. :) Probably should have lugged the decoy over here...oh well.
68da195998e46a4a69e5d5ccccd675e8.jpg
12f1268cf2fe47b1d04950ad178e9d72.jpg
7bcaeeb31b11bdd2caf97269c4cc9c77.jpg

This morning view deep in the woods.
4a05bb2de6247e478f99a87bf2dd13c3.jpg

3a09ed343b61bde2cb532e582ae766ae.jpg

Seen 4 doe and two small fellas they came through 2 hours apart and both bedded down 40 yards or so from the stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well...Dad missed, but young son connected. So a good night after all. The buck that I was so close to bedded down on the edge of the field and pretty much waited for darkness to come. With just a few minutes of shooting light left, he arose as a doe popped out. Game on.

He followed the doe and got to about 35 yards and I had to "murp" him to stop him from getting into my downwind. I shot a little high as I overestimated the distance and he dropped on the shot too. A clean miss over his back. Aaarrgghh.

2 straight nights with very close calls on really nice bucks. Oh well...Mark's buck was a familiar face...sort of. We saw him often as a 3 year old, but hardly at all last year. But we have a few pics from this year and boom, he shows up tonight...making scrapes and rubs...and getting shot. :)
de47319504c1440f19eab28dbcd06483.jpg

Oh geez Daver, I didn't even see your post! I haven't flipped you any crap for a while and I was getting itchy. If I had known you threw an arrow and didn't get that beast, I would have held off. Tough luck no doubt. Congrats to your son! Nice buck. You got any cam pics of the one you shot at?

Oh geez Daver, I didn't even see your post! I haven't flipped you any crap for a while and I was getting itchy. If I had known you threw an arrow and didn't get that beast, I would have held off. Tough luck no doubt. Congrats to your son! Nice buck. You got any cam pics of the one you shot at?

Yes, plenty of pics, he was actually one that I thought I might see over in that area. I first saw him tonight when I saw a tree getting thrashed about 100 yards away. I threw the binos up and immediately saw plenty of antler...yes! I suspect that he was bedded right there, based on previous observations. I think he stood up, beat on that tree and then slowly walked about 20 yards closer to me and then laid down for another 30-40 minutes or so, with his chin right on the edge of the field. He was about 80 yards away, but content to wait for the cover of darkness before strutting onto the open field...even though this field is hidden from the road, etc. I didn't dare call to him as I am in the only tree in that field, had he heard a grunt/snort wheeze, he would not have been able to see anything where he could pinpoint the sound coming from. Waiting game time...

Had that doe not stepped out, I suspect he would have laid right there until after legal shooting hours. I was already texting Mark to come and rescue me with the tractor...as I did not want to climb down with such a smarty so close by. Off course, moments later, I unraveled the stealth single handedly and whiffed on the shot...but still. :) Note the droopy left ear on Mark's buck...that is a telltale sign of "Toby".

BTW, he has broken off his right G4, and that must be recent, since I don't think we have any pics of him with the broken tine...yet. In my advanced years...the misses don't bother me as much as they would have 20 years ago. I was happy for Mark to get the other one, a buck we called Toby. I also got a lot of satisfaction with even being in position to get a shot at that guy tonight, as the tree that I was in was a "new" stand location for us this year. My son thought it was a nutty place and it wouldn't work, etc. I have hunted it twice now, shooting a nice doe, and passing 6 others, on the first sit a few weeks ago and then tonight...almost taking out one of the big boys. Ol' Dad can't shoot...but he can still do strategery! :)

Oh well...there's still plenty of time and the bucks are active, but no real chasing still tonight. Mark saw several bucks and does, but no classic chasing yet. Cruising by the bucks, but nothing hot and heavy...yet. I did shoot a real big bobcat today...at about 7 yards...so I can still make the close in shots. :)

He was about 80 yards away, but content to wait for the cover of darkness before strutting onto the open field...even though this field is hidden from the road, etc.
A wise and patience old man (the buck:))

I didn't dare call to him as I am in the only tree in that field, had he heard a grunt/snort wheeze, he would not have been able to see anything where he could pinpoint the sound coming from. Waiting game time...
Great advice to any young hunter. I learned this the heartbreaking way.

I was already texting Mark to come and rescue me with the tractor...as I did not want to climb down with such a smarty so close by.
Yup. A normal distraction. Me and my son have to use this tactic with my wife at times. :)

Off course, moments later, I unraveled the stealth single handedly and whiffed on the shot.
I wouldn't call it a whiff. 35 yds is a long shot for an ......OK, for anyone!:)

Oh well...there's still plenty of time and the bucks are active, but no real chasing still tonight. Mark saw several bucks and does, but no classic chasing yet. Cruising by the bucks, but nothing hot and heavy...yet. I did shoot a real big bobcat today...at about 7 yards...so I can still make the close in shots.

Been real quiet here the last week, but things broke loose a bit today. Saw 4 different nice ones. One I saw from the road appeared to tending a hot doe. Couple chases this evening. I feel like tomorrow morning is going to be good!

The alarm will go off at 5AM and I will have that yearly conversation with my wife. I will need to once again explain to her that on a day like this, I can get much closer God sitting in a tree than I can sitting in church. :)

Last edited:
Had a couple bucks cruising so far , a basket 8 and a 140 ten, hopefully their grandpa gets lonely and goes for a stroll
b332478a230cac2042ec5c64a0bbb836.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Good stuff Wapsi!!

My view today! Break today and tomorrow. Back at it Tuesday good luck everyone

1f3b220cc2bce038ea523c506430ee2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom