Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dogs

I take out every coyote I have the opportunity to. Domestic dogs that act like ferrell dogs would be treated the same. Somebody's pooch lost in the public woods and roaming around trying to find it's way home probably gets a free pass or two, maybe even a free truck ride back to their home. Repeat offenders actively chasing and killing game would receive the same treatment of any other ferrel dog (e.g. coyote). In the end, it's not the dogs fault though. Dogs do what dogs do, when left unattended. The fault lies with the owners, but they aren't the ones terrorizing the timber like a pack of wild dogs. If anything ever came from it, all you would have to say is that you personally felt threatened, and any/all charges would be dropped.

I know a guy who shot his neighbors dog once on his property for chasing deer. It ran home and died in the neighbors front yard and was blood trailed back to where it was shot. Not a good situation!! It was a really ugly situation.

I know a guy who shot his neighbors dog once on his property for chasing deer. It ran home and died in the neighbors front yard and was blood trailed back to where it was shot. Not a good situation!! It was a really ugly situation.

A very real outcome to consider. Is it worth taking that chance? IMO, most people who let their dogs run free, like what's been described here, aren't really all that broken up when they get run over by a car or don't come home. A shot dog expiring in their front yard could ignite a war though.

A very real outcome to consider. Is it worth taking that chance? IMO, most people who let their dogs run free, like what's been described here, aren't really all that broken up when they get run over by a car or don't come home. A shot dog expiring in their front yard could ignite a war though.

Exactly this.

Just start with the anonymous note and see where it goes.

I'm definitely on team "don't shoot the person's dog who gave you permission to hunt on their property." Everything about that sounds like a bad idea to me.

If it's such a big issue, find other places to hunt. I haven't been in your situation but if my hunt was ruined a couple times by the landowner's dogs i'd talk to them and if they aren't going to do anything about it, I'd find somewhere else to hunt.

Legally, below is the Iowa code for killing dogs. The only reason I know this is because we had some issues with feral dogs killing some livestock this past year. We wanted to know what could legally be done about it. The ONLY way shooting a dog for ruining your hunt is legal is if it doesn't have a collar and therefore is not tagged for a rabies vaccine. On a personal level, no I would not shoot a landowners dog, especially without have a very serious conversation with him first. What I MIGHT do is carry a pellet or paintball gun to the stand with me and see if pelting them with something would make a difference. It likely won't but worth a try maybe.

351.26. Right and duty to kill untagged dog

It shall be lawful for any person, and the duty of all peace officers within their respective jurisdictions unless such jurisdiction shall have otherwise provided for the seizure and impoundment of dogs, to kill any dog for which a rabies vaccination tag is required, when the dog is not wearing a collar with rabies vaccination tag attached.

CREDIT(S)

Amended by Acts 1961 (59 G.A.) ch. 193, § 9; Acts 1994 (75 G.A.) ch. 1173, § 33.

351.27. Right to kill tagged dog

It shall be lawful for any person to kill a dog, wearing a collar with a rabies vaccination tag attached, when the dog is caught in the act of chasing, maiming, or killing any domestic animal or fowl, or when such dog is attacking or attempting to bite a person.
CREDIT(S)

Amended by Acts 1994 (75 G.A.) ch. 1173, § 34; Acts 2007 (82 G.A.) ch. 111, S.F. 406, § 1.
HISTORICAL AND STATUTORY NOTES

2007 Electronic Update

2007 Legislation

Acts 2007 (82 G.A.) ch. 111, S.F. 406, § 1, deleted "worrying," following "caught in the act of".

Top Bottom