Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Help

sep0667

Land of the Whitetail
Shot a buck this morning at 0730. I waited until 1030 to get down and track. It was about a 23 yard shot. Behind the shoulder good but a little high. He took off and I could see blood pumping. Lots of blood for probably 200-300 yards. Lots, a blind man could follow it. Red blood, I did find some spots of lung hit with bubbles. Then followed another 200-300 yards with very little blood. Find two spots where he looked to have bedded down and some clotting in those beds, beds probably just 10 yards apart. Followed blood maybe 75 yards fuether and decided to back out. I think I was pushing him. I think it was probably a one lung hit. How much more time should I give him? Overnight? The second half of tracking was tough, not much blood, but he lost a lot the first 200-300. How long should you give a one lung hit ? Could he survive that? Ton of blood initially, I wouldn’t think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A deer can go a long time on 1 lung, sometimes days. In my experiences I had to push them until I got another arrow in them.

Shot a buck this morning at 0730. I waited until 1030 to get down and track. It was about a 23 yard shot. Behind the shoulder good but a little high. He took off and I could see blood pumping. Lots of blood for probably 200-300 yards. Lots, a blind man could follow it. Red blood, I did find some spots of lung hit with bubbles. Then followed another 200-300 yards with very little blood. Find two spots where he looked to have bedded down and some clotting in those beds, beds probably just 10 yards apart. Followed blood maybe 75 yards fuether and decided to back out. I think I was pushing him. I think it was probably a one lung hit. How much more time should I give him? Overnight? The second half of tracking was tough, not much blood, but he lost a lot the first 200-300. How long should you give a one lung hit ? Could he survive that? Ton of blood initially, I wouldn’t think so.

1 lung you need to give them 24 hours or you’ll push them and won’t find them

I one lunged years ago. He ran maybe 40 yards and stopped with blood just pouring out of him for a couple minutes before walking into the timber. I went to look for him the next morning and he was up and grazing in a pasture about 150 yards from where I shot him. I buddy and i chased him around for a couple hours and got another arrow in him to finish him. Without that i think there is a good chance he would have survived.

I would go out towards dusk and listen for coyotes. Then go track in the morning. Good luck on finding him.

One lung COULD survive for a while. Low chance but my buddy who is veterinarian said possible not die. This was a while ago I asked him. Hope u get both lungs. Any update ?

Talked with neighboring land owner where we tracked him into and backed out. Got the green light to look high and low. We are going to give him overnight and check tmro, will be over 24 hrs since the shot. First couple hundred yards just tons of blood, I can’t imagine he’d survive. Last couple hundred was few and far between blood. Honestly lucky we picked some of it up. Hoping since he did bed a couple times that backing out will let him bed down and hopefully not get back up. I can only hope.

I shot a doe one lung and she bled and bled and bled and bled. Never expected her to get up and run when I walked up but she did multiple times. Eventually I narrowed her again and again and killd her. Go slow with a knocked arrow because he could very well be alive for that are incredibly resilient animals.

I had a very similar situation happen Friday. It was rainy and the timber was drab because of it. Had quartering away shot. I heard a solid it, mule kick and took 3 strides then lost his front legs and snow plowed for 20 yds. He then got his legs back. I got the bino’s on him until it was to dark he stood in one spot and I lost sight of him between light and heavy breathing fogging up the bino’s.

30 mins later I get down to clock for my arrow which I was suspect I’d find because of the shot angle. As I was getting to the impact spot I heard him take off so I assume he bedded right where I lost sight of him. There was no arrow there and I couldn’t find blood at impact spot.

I backed out and took the long way out until the next morning. I come back with a buddy get on his trail. He crossed the creek, took a logging road to a food plot (I’m scratching my head) then cuts straight across it and got on the field road between the timber and Ag field. When we got to there I told my buddy this is unreal. He literally walked within feet of my truck. I even drove over his blood trail on the way out.

we stayed on him and found 2 beds, a huge clot and a trail that after the rain we could still follow. 850 yds and 6 hours and we lost blood. Went to body searching and zero.

I’m completely dumbfounded and thought multiple times that we were about to walk up on him. We covered the obvious direction he went and circled around like a fine pheasant dog in case he looped on us. Every deer that was bumped beds were checked and every ditch searched.

i am headed back up this week to do some more body searching, crow watching and yote listening. The only thing and lesson learned I can come up with is I jumped him looking for my arrow and he was a one lung hit that let him push on even after being hit and resuming the trail 14 hrs later.

Terrible feeling and it’s been a LONG time since I’ve lost a deer. I’m hoping I am wrong and he shows up on cams this week alive and well. He’s been very regular and controls the north end of the farm.

Get there fairly early. Like 8 am-ish. Decent chance crows help u find him.

Well we picked up last blood today and followed it probably a couple more hundred yards. Very sparse and eventually lost it. He even went right behind the people’s house that we talked with about looking, like within 30 yards or their house . Then we spent the next 3 hours scouring the woods checking creeks and ditches just hoping we’d find him. We searched the 60 acre timber/brush area pretty well I think. Maybe I hit “no mans land” below the spine and above the lungs. Really sucks, I haven’t shot a buck in 4 years now waiting on a trophy like that.

The red is about where I hit the buck. About a 23 yard shot to the deer and slight downward angle, stands about 18 feet up. My search is over, just wondering what you guys think of this shot. Think this is lung at all, maybe he survived?

upload_2019-11-11_13-15-51.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-11_13-10-48.png
    upload_2019-11-11_13-10-48.png
    353.2 KB · Views: 15
I think there's a good chance he survives that hit, that's pretty close to above the spine.
20191111_144140-jpg.118817

Top Bottom