Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Standing corn

loneranger

A ways back on here was a discussion on how standing corn may affect deer. Well this past weekend the corn west of me was finally being harvested. I was driving to my neighbor on a road Near the corn harvest in the evening. There were deer all over the road and on the sides. They seemed confused as to where to go or what to do. It was really comical. Their cover for the past 6 months was disappearing.

Its like a whole nother piece of timber for them. They don't have to go anywhere to get food or cover.

True some say standing corn has little influence on deer. In my area while corn was standing I saw a marked drop in deer from what I usually see the first week of November. I had to assume it was the corn. Corn was had timber near and around it also. No need to cross the roads to my land. I did have some rye and turnips on my side and I had quite a bit of travel there on my trails. In the corn at night. Over to me to bed during the day. It worked out for me

What I find the worst part of an ocean of corn is, in my locations they aren't forced to use my funnel ambush points. They can wander nilly willy across fields ,when corn comes out they go back to using the terrain to their advantage hence back in front of stand locations

I hunted in a timber between big fields of standing corn, focused on doe bedding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a stand up over a corn field right now as well. Anxiously awaiting the farmer to get the rest of it picked as it will be a deer magnet as soon as its out.West Stand2.JPG

Can’t help but think the standing corn is crushing me right now. Did a little scouting today after getting out of my stand. Just checking tracks in the snow and my timber corridor is getting very lightly used while there are highways going in and out of the corn fields. Very frustrating! Keep hammering!

All the corn in the above photo as of yesterday is now picked... guess which stand I will be in this afternoon!!!

Anyone do well sitting over standing corn edges at all?
If that's where the does are feeding theres a good enough chance that a buck will be crossing all those doe trails trying to find the last one in heat. Or going to get something to eat himself. I've got 2 stands set up in areas like this

Anyone do well sitting over standing corn edges at all?

Yes, I have had deer in the field every evening I have sat over the corn. Passed on two smaller bucks the other night that came in and watched the does in the field. My plan came together the bucks just were not quite what I am looking for! Maybe next time.

Top Bottom