Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2019 archery buck

meyeri

PMA Member
2019 will go down as one of the biggest learning seasons for me. My main area in Warren county got wiped, like buck apocalypse wiped. Had 4-5 shooters/would be shooters on cam last year and they all disappeared, doe population took a big hit too. In a place that historically has great age structure my oldest deer on camera was a 3 yr old, just one 115" 3 yr old. Anyway, I figured surely something mature would show up, but by the end of October I found myself scrambling and abandoning this piece altogether.

I hit up some pieces I don't hunt much and found one outstanding buck and he was active just minutes after shooting light. I got very agressive on hunting this deer, but he never showed up again. Pressure in this area skyrocketed and I resorted to hunting less pressured spots. I spent a lot of time hunting new areas and pretty much hoped for a random mature buck as I didn't have much to go on.
After 12 days of grinding it out I finally released an arrow. At 11am in the morning I glanced over to see tall G2'S cresting the hill. I thought shooter and grabbed my bow. I didn't recognize this buck and he was on me in seconds. At 7 yds slightly quartering too me I launched one through his boiler room. He disappeared around a ridge 70 yds away and I questioned how good my shot actually was. Gave him 3 hrs and found him 120 yds away. Coyotes had already started in on him, so he had piled up pretty quickly I assume.

He ended up being a buck I actually had on trail cam and intended to pass. In the heat of the moment I didn't realize it was him. Still a great buck and one I'm happy to wrap my tag around. Good luck to those still grinding!
ce74f7baa4e925a7564a6d111a00ba87.jpg
78cb787dc63867d68b9c75fad8d430f9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Congrats! That’s a good one. Glad you got to use that tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice buck. Your diligence paid off, after all the struggles with finding mature buck he would feel like a 170 to me, congrats!

Great buck in any case & pushing through ehd wipe out is tough but paid off. Congrats!

Nice buck! Only way that buck makes it past me is if I miss!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom