Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Slugs

sep0667

Land of the Whitetail
I have not hunted shotgun season and probably over a decade. I’m thinking I might buy a second season tag and go out just to slowly walks in public areas and see what happens. I shoot a Mossberg 500, with a slug barrel.Does anybody else have the same gun and have a recommendation for what brand of slugs seem to fly well? Or just what brand of slugs seem to work good for whatever you shoot? I plan to send some down range tomorrow and make sure my gun cited in good for 75 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can afford it, try several different brands/types.

Every barrel is different. When Remington AccuTips first came out I really wanted to try them because of the higher velocity. Apparently the twist rate in my barrel is not optimal for the AccuTips. I get my tightest groups shooting the slower Remington CopperSolids. (Disclaimer: I hunt with a single shot Rossi slug gun. Your Mossberg barrel may work very well with the AccuTips.)

If you have a smooth bore slug barrel, I’d recommend Winchester slugs.

Rifles barrel: Winchester gold partitions - I ain’t found a slug that shoots a nicer group (with great ballistics) through a variety of guns. Smooth bore, back in the day (ok, this is 25 years ago!)... I remember shooting Brenneke slugs or something like- spelling it wrong I’m sure- when we tried to get slugs to fly decent out of a smooth bore. Never killed a deer with em because I was the worst hunter on earth but they did shoot nice. ;)

agree to stay away from Hornady- but I actually never even had em fly well. I tried them out of a Remington & a benelli and both of those guns had those slugs all over the target. Went to Winchester GP & got awesome groups.

I shot these Brenneke slugs for years. They worked great with my 870. This box is at least 10 years old as I have not hunted during shotgun season since 2009.
AF78B68F-252B-4854-92D4-745082D1879B.jpeg

Well I feel comfortable at 100 yards. I shot 5 boxes shells, didn’t really mean too, it was fun target shooting! I shot those accutips, they were pricy so pry never going to shoot that many again. I had not shot my rifled slug barrel with scope on around a decade. That was fun. Me and a buddy from work pry going to go sit during second season and maybe do some still hunting.

My Mossburg with a rifled barrel shoots Brenneke slugs about as good as any. They are not super explosive when hitting a deer but they will kill them.
The most impressive slug I have ever seen in regards to dropping a deer in its tracks is the Lightfield brand. They leave huge holes and no tracking job is needed most of the time.

My Mossburg with a rifled barrel shoots Brenneke slugs about as good as any. They are not super explosive when hitting a deer but they will kill them.
The most impressive slug I have ever seen in regards to dropping a deer in its tracks is the Lightfield brand. They leave huge holes and no tracking job is needed most of the time.
I agree with the Lightfields! Back when i lived in the mitten and shotgun hunted we use to shoot these....giant holes from them!!

Top Bottom