Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
Its really tough where i am. Not to discourage but i gave it up a few years ago. All the sign and movement was at night. To much pressure. Maybe still hunting would work but sitting did not for me. It wasnt a question of high goals as it was literally no deer or a couple does, but no bucks. Between shed hunters, rec users, and misc traffic after the gun seasons it wasnt productive.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice! I've hunted gun season two for a few years now and got into bow hunting last year. I'm relatively new to late muzzleloader though so it really helps.

I think watching some of The Hunting Public videos would give you some great insight into hunting pressured public land deer. Hunt hard and keep moving. Sitting still probably won't yield the results you're looking for unless it's a really unique piece of public property that didn't get hammered during the gun seasons.

I think watching some of The Hunting Public videos would give you some great insight into hunting pressured public land deer. Hunt hard and keep moving. Sitting still probably won't yield the results you're looking for unless it's a really unique piece of public property that didn't get hammered during the gun seasons.
I'll do some watching. I really enjoy his content and the information he provides. Thanks for the idea!

I have hunted it a couple years on public seeing deer usually isn't a problem for me it is seeing the right deer. A few simple tips I have learned is wait for right condition a front bringing snow or right after a big snow hits or cold as mentioned above. I only like to hunt afternoons. Bring plenty of things to keep you warm, handwarmers, body warmers, hand muff otherwise it can be brutal out there. Scent control is probably more important this time of year as any other as the deer are on edge and one sniff and they will all be gone for the night. Probably the most important is scout more than you hunt this time of year the focus is back to food, find a food source and go in on right conditions and wind, I see plenty of deer this way but like I said I haven't been able to get on a big one.

I'm sure it can be done on public, but in my opinion, you're better off putting in some effort knocking on doors and finding some private land to hunt. Wear some decent clothes, be polite, put coherent sentences together, and you can get into some private ground. If you do some scouting, sometimes all you need is permission on a corn or hayfield to really get into them if that's where they've decided to eat.

Hope for new snow and start tracking/still hunting. We do some small still hunt drives every year on public and have had some good ones get away.

Top Bottom