Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How can I determine planted acres?

deerdown

for those of you who farm or may know - if I call or stop into the FSA office, will they provide me the history of planted acres on my farm by the tenant, or is that confidential info of the tenant? And how accurate are the FSA reported planted acres? Are tenant yields available to me for past years as well? My farm, but cash rent it out....
Is there another way to get this info?

They will tell u. For sure. If u own farm- done deal. They will have “certified acres”. See what that comes out to and look at maps. If u think it’s wrong - have someone with surety map it out. But - it’s gonna be reasonably close if they certified right. They should Have field maps and certification acres by year & what crops planted those years.

I sat thru a 3 hour USDA info session last week. The main topic was PLC and ARC but there were a few good takeaways I got out of it as a landowner that cash rents. It's to your benefit to update acres as allowed by the 2018 farm bill and likely your corn basis. Beans too but that likely to be unchanged. Part of what will come out of that is you will likely get access to 5 year yield data. Having this up to date is to the benefit of tenant if they are paying attention and makes your farm potentially more attractive if ever selling. I can scan some stuff from info session and post when back to my office.

If yield wasnt reported to FSA and you have a good relationship with tenant you can likely get that info more easily from their crop insurance agent.

Would the tenant update the corn basis, or is that on me? My current tenants are really good about sharing their yields, the previous ones, not so much and I'd like to put a historical data sheet together for reference. Thanks guys

If your previous tenants had federal crop insurance they would have been reporting yields to their insurance company. You could ask your new tenants to ask their insurance company for previous yield data. They might have it or they might not but it's worth a shot.

Top Bottom