Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2020 setting a realistic goal

What would your goal be on small acreage and public

• Any legal buck

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Net P&Y

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 130+

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • 140+

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • 150+

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • 160+

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • 170+ (Booner or bust)

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
(Dont compare yourself to those TV shows) I set my goals according to the place I'm hunting. As a bow hunter I set my goal to a 4 year old 150" deer in general. I've shot 2 bucks in that range now. So maybe I should increase my goals. The problem is, all the areas I hunt the people that hunt around it shoot basically everything with antlers. So a 4 year old is hard to come by.

For me it is all about the moment. Age? Score? History? Location specific expectations? Any or many of these can play into the choice at the "moment" you make the choice to pull the trigger or let the sting loose. You, and only you, can second guess your choice after the fact. Many others might try, but it is over at that point so it is time to move on. Be happy, learn from the experience, and look forward to the next one.

I agree with others it's all up to you, but I dont think 150 is absurd. Small parcels can be hidden gems and public is certain parts of the state definitely hold 150s. I would set that as your goal, and if something else that trips your trigger comes by then adapt.

Top Bottom