Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Grain drill questions

I got a land pride aps1572 for my 32 hp john deere. It works great if the ground isnt too hard or has been tilled. It has a spiked front roller that you can change the angle on to rough up the ground for better seed to soil contact. Also has fluted seed meters for more precise metering of seed. The rear roller is a cultipacker type. So far I have used it to seed: Sunflowers, Sorghum, Rye, Brassica mixes, Soybeans, and even my lawn. The spiked front roller also works well to aerate my lawn if it isnt offset. Got lucky and found it for $4500 off of FB Marketplace, I had priced a brand new one for over 10K.

You are correct. Says you need 3000# recomended. My 50hp is 2800# lift. ...

From the manual on my tractor...

Technically total maximum possible mass 6631 lbs
Front axle 2910 lbs.
Rear axle 3721 lbs.

Would I be reading that right to think that I would be good with a 3721 lb limit and needing 3000 lbs?

I would prefer a 3 point mounted device, but if not feasible for my tractor, I would certainly be open to a pull behind like the Truax mentioned above.

Front axle 2910 lbs.
Rear axle 3721 lbs.

Would I be reading that right to think that I would be good with a 3721 lb limit and needing 3000 lbs?

I would prefer a 3 point mounted device, but if not feasible for my tractor, I would certainly be open to a pull behind like the Truax mentioned above.
LS 4041 by that you mean this?
324efa5f1038415f341a36ae49a59124.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ha, so i use tractor data for all specs and they have yet to steer me wrong. They have 2755# on your tractor for rear lift. Thats less gross weight and lift than mine and after running tractor for 20+ years i would say they overshoot ability. Thats a lot of weight for a cat 1 3 point in my mind, even with a loader. I do twnd to be very cautious because i hate overloading and braking equipment. Im not one to push to the max. My 2 cents look at the 71 flex planters. You can customize row width and row numbers to fit you and its ground driven. You can start basic and add to it and change plates to plant milo, beans, corn. I dont know of a drill to plant corn well other than the Genesis. I have a 2 row now and dream of upgrading to more rows. I broadcast grasses and small seeds.

Ha, so i use tractor data for all specs and they have yet to steer me wrong. They have 2755# on your tractor for rear lift. Thats less gross weight and lift than mine and after running tractor for 20+ years i would say they overshoot ability. Thats a lot of weight for a cat 1 3 point in my mind, even with a loader. I do twnd to be very cautious because i hate overloading and braking equipment. Im not one to push to the max. My 2 cents look at the 71 flex planters. You can customize row width and row numbers to fit you and its ground driven. You can start basic and add to it and change plates to plant milo, beans, corn. I dont know of a drill to plant corn well other than the Genesis. I have a 2 row now and dream of upgrading to more rows. I broadcast grasses and small seeds.

Perhaps I missed it, what are the "71 Flex Planters"? I too don't like being on the ragged edge with equipment and although I prefer the 3 point mount variety...I could certainly live with a pull behind. I do want it to be able to do true no till though. Of all of the potential items to plant...I am less concerned about corn, as I have a neighbor that I can rely on for that and he has "big" equipment. Thanks for your help.

They are a ground driven planter originally made by John deer then sold to Yetter. They are still making them

Look for a Truax Flex 88 or Flex II 88. These are 3500 lbs and usually pull type. With 4 wheel drive and the size of your fields you will be happy with it as long as your grade isn’t to crazy. I use a bigger tractor than that but get a little carried away on where I put in good plots, any clearing I think I can plant is game on for me. I’ve bought a couple of these and paid from $3500 to $8000 depending on options and condition.

Front axle 2910 lbs.
Rear axle 3721 lbs.

Talked to a couple guys tonight, one that sells the Genesis and one who is with Drury outdoors and has some knowledge on them. They make a Genesis 5 light now, 800# lighter but the same price. Quoted me a little over $13k said they sell 10 light units to 1 standard. The light is 1800#. Little less no till capable. Drury guy said he has been hearing it needs some improvement from the guys running them. Like to see one in person

Look for a Truax Flex 88 or Flex II 88. These are 3500 lbs and usually pull type. With 4 wheel drive and the size of your fields you will be happy with it as long as your grade isn’t to crazy. I use a bigger tractor than that but get a little carried away on where I put in good plots, any clearing I think I can plant is game on for me. I’ve bought a couple of these and paid from $3500 to $8000 depending on options and condition.

It looks like there are 2 models, one for grain, one for grasses. Since I want to be able to plant both, do you know if that is possible with just one drill? Also, who carries these in Iowa?

It looks like there are 2 models, one for grain, one for grasses. Since I want to be able to plant both, do you know if that is possible with just one drill? Also, who carries these in Iowa?
Landpride or great plains

The standard configuration includes native grass box and small seed box, the large seed box is an optional box. These drills were easier to find a couple years ago, I’ve been watching for them and they pop up from time to time. Truax website allows used adds to be placed and I just checked yesterday and didn’t see an 88 on there right now. Also watch craigslist for them. Most of these were bought by conservation departments and some private. It may take a little time to find one, but it’s worth it. I have a video on YouTube if u want a closer look at how they work.
. I’m not really a YouTuber I just do it for fun so it’s not a great video. I’ll be happy to answer any questions you might have also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pulled a Great plains 606nt (pull type)with my 38.5 hp masser ferguson (MFWD) tractor with no issues. I have since stepped up to a 70hp new holland. Budget $15k for this machine tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although I think I could safely use the Genesis 5 with my tractor, the new price is around $14,500. Hmm...Daver thinks that Daver might have some trouble getting that one by the "Purchasing Committee" at home. :)

Her: You want what? A $15,000 thing to plant seeds for deer to eat? (Steam coming from her ears.)
Me: Umm...yeah. (Instantly realizing that my "plan" may not be fully vetted here.) :)
Her: You're crazy! I forbid it! (As usual I might add. :))
Me: Never mind. (Keeps planting via broadcast method.) :)

So...partly from a budget situation and partly from a standpoint of what I can safely use and need...I am now looking at the Genesis 3. Around $9500 new and while a little narrower than preferred...it might be feasible and not more time consuming than what I do now, since I will be reducing trips.

Anyone have any thoughts on going narrower? I am only food plots, 1-2 acres per, with it, with maybe 10-12 totals per year.

I saw an add for a Genesis 5 with a wheel kit for 13,900$. Came with a kit to pull it as a towable or leave the wheels on the back for extra support. My 2 cents is a 3' would be frustrating and slow but thats just my OCD i think. For almost 10k on the 3' clearly the 5' is a better value but its definitely more money and likely wont save you loads of time. Its alot to put into that system. Im not sold on the accuracy of this drill from what i have heard for.corn especially if thats important to you there are cheaper alternatives for corn

Top Bottom