Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Depradation Must Read

crietveld

A buddy that is a member of the Iowa Christmas Tree Growers Association sent me an article from their newsletter yesterday. The article spelled out how property owners can shoot deer to protect their property, year round, no permission needed under articles 1 and 23 of the iowa constitution.

There was a website at the bottom of the article, www.stopthedeerdamage.com
Scrolled through it this morning, very interesting reading. Down right scary depending on your perspective.

Interesting to see Kevin Kelly authoring that letter after being found guilty in March 2007 of killing deer out of season with a rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rifles in the truck, rifles in the combine for coyote control throughout Iowa. Lol. Kevin told on himself is the difference. He was actually honest, not saying right, but honest.

He must have sniffed a lot of glue and huffed paint growing up. Omg. I own a tree nursery. Around the size of his. The cost of the fence was maybe 1% of the value of what’s inside of it. Completely stops the deer. I would have to shoot every deer on 10-20 neighbors & redo that every couple years to stop deer if I had no fence. 1 man deciding for 10-20 neighbors - that’s called SELFISH or maybe just INSANE. A fence is absolutely not a big deal and beyond easy & common sense. Rabbits & mice & coons kill way more trees than deer- that’s just a fact I deal with yearly. I probably wouldn’t even waste my time arguing with such an extremist.... clearly only cares about himself & feels pretty self righteous with his one sided beliefs that interject no common sense to the public. I have a very similar business & nursery like he does and I can’t begin to express how much I disagree with his stance & how he goes about it. Shameful.

This is as logical as me saying “Kevin brings in & attracts new plant eating pests from his trees. They come on to my land. I should be able to go over and chop down all his trees!!!”

Rifles in the truck, rifles in the combine for coyote control throughout Iowa. Lol. Kevin told on himself is the difference. He was actually honest, not saying right, but honest.

The coyote control is argument does not make since to me if said farmer does not own livestock. I would think the majority of farmers in the state are corn/soybean farmers. If a farmer does not own livestock what is their need for coyote control? Seriously, help me understand this if I am wrong.

I have family that farms, nothing but corn/soybeans. Their farms are not in wildlife rich areas at all, very very few occupy their farms. Wide open country, very few deer. They do not like having or seeing deer/turkey etc on their property and honestly they despise them and want them all dead. Yet they will also gladly shoot a coyote too.

To me it would make sense that if a farmer only farms corn/soybeans here in IA then they should actually want more coyotes. Coyotes eat deer, turkeys, raccoons, etc. that eat corn/beans. In my mind if you are a crop farmer you would want coyotes.

Last edited:
Discussion at the New Years party about hunting, person relating that the farmer told him and his friends to “shoot them all”, pile them up, take what you want. Farmer carried a .22 to gut shoot them so that they made it off the farm so he didn’t have to deal with the carcass. I’ve known farmers with similar views.

Discussion at the New Years party about hunting, person relating that the farmer told him and his friends to “shoot them all”, pile them up, take what you want. Farmer carried a .22 to gut shoot them so that they made it off the farm so he didn’t have to deal with the carcass. I’ve known farmers with similar views.

Many years ago I hunted an area where there were truly "too many deer", although as a hunter I wasn't complaining. :) Over the next year or two the population really thinned out and I had no idea what had happened. My friend, who lived in the area, found out that a local farmer was shooting them left and right and letting them lay. That farm would have been about 1/2 - 3/4 mile away from where I was hunting.

Although I can't say for sure that this was happening, as I never investigated it personally, etc, I suspect that it was true though just due to the radical decrease in numbers in the neighborhood. But it sure made for some fun sits while the population was bugged out. :)

Not a fan the way some of you guys are broadly painting farmers. I generally carry a rifle in the tractor with me for coyotes or other varmints. NEVER have I been tempted to poach a game animal with it. I own no livestock, only corn and soybeans. Dont let the actions of a few make you think all farmers are the same. And my dad and my families are completely supported by farming. Farm about 2000 acres between the two of us.

I have friends and a lot of family that farm and most all carry a .22 or shotgun in the combine. Usually for those last few rows if a bunch of roosters or some other legal critter flush out the end. They’re not out there shooting all the deer that run out

Uncased firearm in a motor vehicle? Not sure being a farm vehicle off road changes things, but I could be wrong.

I've seen coyote hunters do much worse than that. Deer hunters too for that matter. I dont look at shooting coyotes as sport. Just trying to get rid of varmints to protect other wildlife livestock and pets.

Uncased firearm in a motor vehicle? Not sure being a farm vehicle off road changes things, but I could be wrong.

Dont think any of the deer hunting or coyote hunting groups around here even use cases anymore. After the concealed carry law was changed a few years ago the local officer said that with a valid permit a loaded gun in the vehicle was legal.

No worries. Just didnt want everybody to think that every farmer that keeps a rifle in the tractor is poaching deer.

FWIW, I've been hearing about the crotchety old farmers who gut shoot deer more and more over the years. Personally I think it's an urban legend for the most part. I know of numerous farmers around here who say the same thing, and I don't personally think they actually do it.

Top Bottom