Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Grain drill questions

Imho 10-12 acres 3’ at a time is going to really wear you out

I am really on the fence about the 3' v. the 5'. My annual amount of acres would be 10-12 acres...with some of that occurring in the spring(beans or buckwheat), some in the early summer(milo or EW), some in the late summer/early fall(brassicas or rye/oats/peas). So maybe 2-4 acres per "session". I plan on still using a neighbor to plant corn, 4-5 acres.

I would still be mowing and spraying to prep and spreading fertilizer, but I also would not have a trip over the ground to till it and then another to cultipack it. So even at 3'...I think I might be fairly even in terms of time necessary to complete.

I am really on the fence about the 3' v. the 5'. My annual amount of acres would be 10-12 acres...with some of that occurring in the spring(beans or buckwheat), some in the early summer(milo or EW), some in the late summer/early fall(brassicas or rye/oats/peas). So maybe 2-4 acres per "session". I plan on still using a neighbor to plant corn, 4-5 acres.

I would still be mowing and spraying to prep and spreading fertilizer, but I also would not have a trip over the ground to till it and then another to cultipack it. So even at 3'...I think I might be fairly even in terms of time necessary to complete.

If you buy a used 3’ and dont like the time it takes you probably wont get hurt on it too bad if you went to sell it.
If you have a FP addiction issue like me you will get it done either way!
Keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anybody planted corn using their drill. I would tape every other seed placement and have just 5 of 9 dropping for a separation of 15 inches between seed. If you have drilled corn what was your settings on the drill?

Has anybody planted corn using their drill. I would tape every other seed placement and have just 5 of 9 dropping for a separation of 15 inches between seed. If you have drilled corn what was your settings on the drill?
It can be done with varying results. You wont have much if any uniform depth which is really important for corn. Also getting enough depth has been trouble. I have seen guys on other forums who say ot worked great. I would say just go in knowing there is no guarantee. A 2500$ 7000 series 2 row would do a great job, spend 3k and get fertilizer on it and coulters. Also hard to spray for weeds with narrow rows and not spraying is risky

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Daver did you end up pulling the trigger on something?

No, not yet. Daver is trying to keep his business from getting Corona-ized and let's just say that there have been some broadside hits. So...attachment purchases are on hold for now. :)

Did ya buy one?

Yes, I bought a used Truax Flex 88 drill. I was saving for a new one, but I decided to pull the trigger on the used one now for financial reasons and if I like it, so be it. If I don't, then hopefully some day I can trade up. I have only used it once so far, to plant soybeans, and I haven't been back to see how they are doing. I felt like I wasn't getting them deep enough and also covering them well enough. (I think I need to work on leveling the drill so the I get better compression on the back wheels.)

I plan on using it to plant brassicas here in a couple of weeks too.

Yes, I bought a used Truax Flex 88 drill. I was saving for a new one, but I decided to pull the trigger on the used one now for financial reasons and if I like it, so be it. If I don't, then hopefully some day I can trade up. I have only used it once so far, to plant soybeans, and I haven't been back to see how they are doing. I felt like I wasn't getting them deep enough and also covering them well enough. (I think I need to work on leveling the drill so the I get better compression on the back wheels.)

I plan on using it to plant brassicas here in a couple of weeks too.
I just picked up as well. Plan to put it to work soon
b2d3511d6eef0c01e37dd7b62ad37f20.jpg

Truax classifieds, South Dakota

Funny...the one I bought was owned by a guy from South Dakota, but he was selling it from his farm in Iowa. It was on Craigslist too, a friend of mine alerted me to it about a month ago. I jumped on it and went to see it right away and committed to buying it and then went back to pick it up the following week.

The key to using a truax is getting it level. The giant spring going from tongue to frame is used to get the box level. If it has depth bands it will still plant almost an inch deep. If you have bands they cam be taken off I'd needed. They are good planters.

The key to using a truax is getting it level. The giant spring going from tongue to frame is used to get the box level. If it has depth bands it will still plant almost an inch deep. If you have bands they cam be taken off I'd needed. They are good planters.

As a first time user...I didn't know what I was doing, :), but I think you nailed it.

Great looking drill! I’ve had a great time with mine and wouldn’t trade it for anything....except maybe a 812? My plots keep getting bigger somehow?

I’ve had pretty good luck with soybeans as long as the moisture is available shallow using the same depth bands I use for small seeds. I will experiment next year, maybe get some different bands or try without but I’d be concerned about inconsistent depth with no bands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine came with the 12" bands on it. Not sure if I will add any other sizes as they add up fast. Truax told be removing 1 side of bands would allow it to plant a little deeper or just take them off and use cylinder stops to regulate depth. This is the closest 1 I have found to me so I snagged it. Its build like a tank.

Top Bottom