Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Using dogs while fur harvesting HF 2174

OK, let me be the first to say it on behalf of coon and coyote hunters everywhere..."My dog can't read a No Trespassing sign".

While that is a tongue in cheek comment ^^, this is an issue that isn't easily solved IMO. While some less responsible coon/coyote hunters deliberately turn out their dogs in areas knowing that they will undoubtedly end up on neighboring properties where they are not welcome, it also isn't very feasible to stop a hound on a hot trail at the fenceline either. This one could get interesting IMO.

As someone who can recall their dogs via collar tone from over a mile away, even if they’re pulling fur off a coyotes rump, I get really annoyed that people aren’t willing/able to train their dogs to stay off properties they shouldn’t be on.

I also want to support fur harvesters, there’s not enough folks trapping and hunting fur anymore as it is.

I’m totally on the fence with this one.

I want to say that I totally understand that dogs can't read. I have been on the the wrong end and have had friends on the wrong end a lot. I think there is just some bad apples ruining it for everyone else.

That being said I still think people need to be held responsible especially on consistent reoccurrences. I understand giving a warning but if keeps happening there needs to be a legal penelty.

Subcommittee assigned:

Representative Louie Zumbach, House District 95 (parts of Linn and Buchannan counties) Email: Louie.zumbach@legis.iowa.govLegislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=18053

Representative David Maxwell, House District 76, (Poweshiek and parts of Iowa counties) Email: dave.maxwell@legis.iowa.gov Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=10757

Representative Scott Ourth, House District 26 (part of Warren county including Indianola) Email: scott.ourth@legis.iowa.gov Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=10742

Meeting is scheduled for 02/04/20 at 12:00pm

There’s a rumor that this bill will not have support if the certification of leashed blood tracking dogs goes through, and vice versa. It’s a slippery slope to require certification or leashes on dogs pursuing fur. Leashing coonhounds sounds ridiculous but it’s been a legitimate road block in the past.

Guess I'm going to have to rig a body harness to my sons that attaches to my coonhounds leash. Wonder how bloody and full of thorns they will be when I meet them at the tree.

Freaking stupid

So many bills about dogs this year it is hard to keep one straight from another - A lot of the comments for or against these bills I am reading on Facebook are confusing one bill with another or seemingly adding them together - lots of passionate people on both sides of these issues. Please click on Bonkers links to the actual bills and read what they say as they are quite different.

All I have heard is there were a lot of coon and coyote hunters there. I'm waiting for the minutes of the meeting.

Never came up and the Natural Resource Committee has the bill scheduled to be heard on Monday at 3 PM And Wednesday at 2 PM is the last I have heard. Second hand info so take it for its worth.

Here is a link to the agenda for the meeting on the 10th: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/committees/meetings/meetingsListComm?groupID=680&ga=88

I do not see that bill listed, but the minutes have yet to be published so I don't know if it was simply tabled and doesn't need a separate agenda line or not.

Also as a side note, the agenda link I posted in the blood tracking thread had the blood tracking bill as up for discussion. I may have made a mistake or the agenda may have changed. I don't think the hunting coyote with a light was on the original agenda. I apologize if I was mistaken.

I've seen both sides of this. Good and bad. Guys that genuinely try to follow the rules and keep dogs controlled and others that let dogs out knowing damn well exactly where they are going to go and not supposed to be. I don't have the answers. I don't want to take away any aspect of hunting, but I can't stand the few bad eggs that intentionally do whatever they damn well please.

Top Bottom