Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Senate version of NRLO bill SSB 3129

Where are you getting the 20 to 50% NR land ownership numbers per county? Is your source so ambiguous that numbers fluctuate by 30%?

Provide the data base, I would like to take a look at my county. Thanks
I’d happily back this up. I’ve spoke with dnr on this as well as some realtors that had some data/insight. I’ve also owned land, farmed or spent vast time in 15 or so counties where in almost EVERY CASE Its vast pockets of NR’s. Not the pure Ag land but the timbered mixed land. & be clear- I’m not against them or dislike them or bash them. I like them but I just don’t want it to go from what it is now to Almost all NR ownership.
I know some realtors & ISU had some data on this. Fair enough on the request. On the common sense side, Here’s counties I’ve spent multiple years in all over the counties & I think most would attest to this if they are in a forested neighborhood in our southern or Eastern parts of state (where we have the bulk of forest). Wappello, Wayne, vanburen, Decatur, Lee, ringold, Clarke, Madison, Marion, Monroe, Appanoose, lucas, Davis, etc - For the folks in these areas of “good hunting” & heavily wooded..... I think common sense would tell us there is NR ownership in a “large %”. My buddies have same feedback in eastern part.... Clayton, Jackson, Louisa, etc.
agree though fair point & fair request.... I’ll see what I can come back up with. Anyone in these counties with a little digging won’t have a hard time seeing “>20% NR ownership” of the good timbered tracts. Common sense & some feedback from countless folks across these areas are very consistent. Again, not nocking NR’s at all!!! Many are my friends. Just speaking for what I see are the facts to keep this great state great.

Several years ago the(fake news Des Moines Register) had a map of the state with the percentage of NR landowners by counties. One county that I frequently hunt was 45-50 %of the land was owned by NR.
I fella that I know owns 5000 acres in two counties.

Last edited:
First, you must differentiate between Rec landowners and farming operations. I too have seen numbers that included farming businesses.

I would like to see the source for NRLOs at 20 to 50% in a county in relation to rec ground. Asking for the source. I talked to this person or that person is not a source. In my 17 years experience in Iowa those numbers are inflated.

In my eyes it doesn’t matter if they own rec ground or farm ground..... numbers don’t lie.....

In my eyes it doesn’t matter if they own rec ground or farm ground..... numbers don’t lie.....
We’ll sure it does. We’re talking about rec ground being allegedly taken from residents if nrlo regs change. You can’t lump in land owned for a commercial operation. Especially outside the hunting hot zones. Completely different market.

Last edited:
Fair point. Hold ur panties! ;) I’ll find it.
2 other quick things....
I don’t “talk to this or that guy”. I live in this world. It’s my day everyday. I live in the thick of this around a 6 county area.
2nd- most important point- I think most would agree the % is “substantial” but that’s all good. The main point is what we all KNOW would happen to ownership if we changed the rules. That’s one we all know the result- demand from all around the country would eat this limited supply up instantly.

Bull spit!! One bill that’s being proposed is if a NR owns land his family can get tags.... how fricking dumb is that!! Numbers don’t lie... period!
I’ve been on vac for a week so tomorrow I have to spend my valued time sending emails to the legislators that have been bought by NR.... who else is getting this stuff rolling.... sure isn’t the residents of the state:rolleyes:
Out of here I have work to do

Last edited:
Does it matter if it’s resident (former NR) or NR owned? If I change to resident in future, I don’t think it would matter?

Winke, Drury, Lakosky, Lindsey are just a few big farms that were NR and now R... any difference to locals??

This morning I emailed Dr Wendong Zhang, the Director of Iowa State University’s semi-annual farmland value survey, and asked for rec ground nrlo stats. His response:

“We have information about the general farmland but not for rec ground only. For all Iowa farmland, 80% of land is owned by full-time residents, 7% by part-time residents and 13% by non-residents”.

The only Des Moines article I could find about land is dated June 29, 2018 citing the exact stats above.

He could not direct me to an alternative source. I believe we’re living on assumption re actual percentage of nrlo rec ground.

Last edited:
I can see why it would be hard to figure out exactly what is owned by non residents for Rec ground. What is considered Rec ground? According to the lease companies anything in southern Iowa with a tree or a ditch on it that a deer might wander through at some point. We have ground in Davis and Van Buren and especially our Davis farm going by acres just in our one block the non residents own somewhere around 40% as many acres as the residents. That’s a 2400 acre block. And we have plenty of NR owners around our van buren farm too. Florida , Wisconsin, Georgia, Minnesota, Michigan. So yes they might not take over a big chunk of the lower end “Rec ground” that some of us wouldn’t even really consider it Rec ground but you will definitely see it in the some of the neighborhoods where it is already extremely prevalent.

Last edited:
Can someone answer the simple question of why there are so many bills for the NRLO? Isn't this legislature suppose to be representing the residents of the state... their constituents?

In my opinion they have used up all of their avenues for "relief" through the courts. That didn't work so now they have turned there time and money to the legislative process. I further believe these folks aren't in the habit of being told NO to anything in life and through money, prestige and power they get YES.

The legislators are tired of seeing these bills and want them to go away. They only way they can see to make them go away is to pass them or some version of them.

I said last fall in a post that money controls politics and politics controls hunting.

It is also very important at this juncture to not only contact the House Natural Resources Committee and the Senate Natural Resources and Environment Committee but your local legislators as well. The committee members need to hear not only from us but other legislators as well.

I further believe they are trying to wear us down with all of these bills. They are throwing crap against the walls to see what sticks.

^^^^You need to go back many more years then 2018 to see the article I seen in the DM Register time flies but I’m guessing 15 years or more.
I’d like to see the percentages per county currently and not state wide statistics!

I’ve owned land 18 years never called, written or text any legislator, nor do I know anyone that has.

Sent (2) emails in 18 years in regards to tags but made no mention of specific doe or buck, only management as the topic.

No $$$ ever.

Not sure who you think is doing that? Could be a group of guys somewhere? Guessing no one that contributes to this site.

Not sure who you think is doing that?

Copy and paste from the legislative web site:

Jim Jensen 1050 Satcom Lane; Melbourne, FL 32940 Brad Epperly, Dustin Miller, Katie Graham, Paula Dierenfeld

If you look at some of the NRLO bills you will see his lobbyists registered. This is the one I know about. There may be more.

It’s easy to blame NRLOs and money, however not all nrlos have deep pockets, and now to assert your own politicians are for sale is interesting.

Maybe, just maybe there are legitimate conservation issues on NRLO land that have been ignored for years that do need addressed that they do recognize, or have been highlighted by non hunting constituents of their districts, like my resident neighbors, who do not agree with certain regs. Only about 7.5% of Iowans held a hunting license last year. Idk. Pressure can be applied from many areas.

Last edited:
CWD and EHD I am sure are factors in all of this. If CWD spreads more, you’ll be looking at much worse than whether your NR neighbor gets a tag.

Minnesota has unlimited tags and sharpshooters over corn piles in the target CWD areas.

Top Bottom