Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First funnel results

Fishbonker

Life Member
As you probably already know the first of two funnels for policy bills, that is non budget bills, came and went on the 21st.

I'm going to start off with a bill that has generated the most interest on this forum:

SSB 3129, one of the NRLO bills. I cannot track down if this bill passed out of the full committee on Friday the 21st. It and another non-hunting bill were on the committee agenda, the non-hunting bill was passed. I can tell because there are a couple of different ways to look it up and verify what action was taken. I cannot find any confirmation/verification that SSB 3129 was taken up. I was forwarded an update that indicated it had passed but I cannot verify it. The only way for me to tell with certainty on the status of this bill would be in the minutes of the committee meeting and the minutes have yet to be published. Having said that, I will consider this bill still alive until I hear or can verify differently. If anybody else knows for sure please let me/us know. The House version of this bill (HF 2190) did not funnel.

Bills that are still alive:

HF 2369 (formerly HF 217) - Senior Lifetime Trout Fishing License, the bill creates a lifetime trout fishing license for persons 65 years of age and older. On House debate calendar.

HF 716 (formerly HF 179) - Necked cartridges or centerfire ammunition. On Senate debate calendar.

HF 2014 - Nonresident Deer Hunting Licenses, this is the bill that would have allotted 500 tags to NRLOs that had a hunt booked with an outfitter. The bill will be amended to drop the 500 tags for booked hunts and add several thousand more NR tags. I cannot find any specifics on the bill. On House debate calendar - the bill will soon receive a new number.

HF 2341 (formerly HF 2133) - Black Bear Hunting, the bill designates black bears as a game animal. On House debate calendar.

HF 2404 (formerly HSB 564) - Blaze Orange for anyone on public ground or water during muzzleloader seasons. On House debate calendar.

HF 2410 (formerly HSB 565) - Senior Lifetime Antlerless Bowhunting License, the bill allows an Iowa resident who is at least 65 years of age to be issued a senior crossbow license if the person has purchased a lifetime hunting and fishing license. On House debate calendar.

HF 2455 (formerly HF 363) - Leashed Dog Deer Retrieval, the bill would allow a hunter who wounds a deer to use a leashed dog to track that animal. On House debate calendar.

HF 2458 (formerly HF 2240) - Wild Animal Diseases, the bill adds chronic wasting disease to the definition of infectious or contagious diseases thus allowing the Department of Agriculture to control the disease in animals under that department's jurisdiction. The bill also allows the Department of Natural Resources to establish wild animal disease zones to control or prevent the spread of diseases in wildlife. On House debate calendar.

SF 280 – Relating to Residency of Armed Forces, the bill would allow certain members of the armed forces who are stationed in adjoining states to hunt, trap and fish in Iowa. On Senate calendar.

SF 537 - Coyote Hunting with Infrared Lights, the bill would allow hunters of coyotes to use infrared light sources during the muzzleloader and shotgun seasons. Approved by the Senate 47-1 in 2019. On House debate calendar.

SF 2201 (formerly SSB 3070) - Special Nonresident Hunting Licenses, the bill seeks to move the decision making for the 50 annual special nonresident dignitary and guest licenses from a Legislative Committee to the Department of Natural Resources. On Senate debate calendar.

SF 2269 (formerly SF 2145) - Bird Hunting Preserves Season, the bill allows for a game bird preserve operator to petition the DNR to extend the hunting season beyond March 31 due to extreme weather. On Senate debate calendar.

SF 2270 (formerly SF 2043) - Tree Stand Markings, the bill requires that a deer stand placed on public land be affixed with a metal plate that shows the hunting license number of the owner. On Senate debate calendar.

SF 2271 (formerly SF 2141) - When Youth Tags May Be Purchased, the bill would allow youth tags to be sold during any season, also adds methods of take including crossbows. On Senate debate calendar.

SF 2282 and HF 2059 – Daylight Savings Time, the bill would make daylight savings time the official time of Iowa. Standard time would be dropped.

Bills that did not funnel:

SF 198 - Resident Landowner Tags Good for Any Season.

SF 610 – Youth Seasons and Cost of Tags and When Tags Could be Sold. Some of parts of the bill are in SF 2271, that bill is still alive.

SF 2054 - Nonresident Family Member Deer Licenses.

SF 2212 - Establishes a Youth Pheasant Hunting Season.

SSB 3110 - Forest Tax Exemption Roll-Back.

SSB 3030 - Law Enforcement Search Warrants.

HF 2323 – Nonresident Landowners With 40 Acres.

HF 2287 - One Time Canoe and Kayak Registration Fee.

HF 2132 - Catfish Bow-Fishing. There were two bills, neither one is active.

HF 2190 - Former and Nonresident Landowner Free or Reduced Tags and Licenses. This is the house version of SSB 3129 which is probably still alive.

HF 2174 - Trespassing for Fur Harvesters Using Dogs.

HF 218 - Unfilled Deer Tags Good for Any Season.

HSB 669 - Nonresident Deer Licenses, essentially the same bill as HF 2014 that is still very much alive.

HSB 668 - Nonresident Deer licenses.

Funnel proof:

SSB 3116 - This bill raises the sales tax and funds the Outdoor Iowa Trust Fund.

If anyone knows any information that I may have incorrect on any of the bills listed please let me/us know. I used my own lists from the legislative web site as well as two other sources to make this post.

Last edited:
Bonker, I had correspondence yesterday with a reliable source that said 3129 did not have enough support and did not make it out of committee.

I know this isn’t official but that’s what I was told.

Bonker, I had correspondence yesterday with a reliable source that said 3129 did not have enough support and did not make it out of committee.

I know this isn’t official but that’s what I was told.

Thanks for the input.

Thanks For providing these updates! Very appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SF 537 coyote hunting with IR lights... During shotgun and muzzleloader deer seasons??? Is that right? Id figure if it was only going to be legal during certain times that those would be the times it was not allowed

Top Bottom