Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Senate version of NRLO bill SSB 3129

Maybe everyone including residents should buy conservation licenses and pay $8,000 to $15,,000 a year. Half the money would go to a good conservation cause and the other half could go towards buying more state land for public hunting. There would be lots of public land that everyone could hunt together!

• Deleted by MN2IAGuy
  • Reason: Extra post
Show…
You should be. The one thing I dont get about all of the NRLO arguing is this. You guys have the formula for what makes Iowa so special apparently. Why don't you partner up in your home states and buy big tracts where you can get tags every year. Iowa is special cuz no guns in November. Then dont let anyone on your property gun hunt in November and you'll have your own piece of paradise. Should work great in both Minnesota and Pennsylvania

That’s a good comment and I thought I should respond to it. We do exactly that. We have not gun hunted our farms in MN the past 3 years. Bow only. If we do, it’s a last minute doe hunt over a food plot etc.. The deer do pile in. Pressure around us, moves the deer to our land.

With 29 days of gun season, bucks are vulnerable . Minnesota has a 9 day gun season November 9, or earlier. Smack in the rut.

We still shoot some nice bucks and full doe tags...it’s not like MN doesn’t have pockets of good hunting. It’s just underwhelming due to the timing of the gun season. Change that back even 2 weeks, and MN is a top state again.

As a archery guy, Iowa is attractive. No guns until December. Your shotgun season has plenty of hunters, but the pick Season 1, or 2 is a good idea.

Both states have too many seasons, like I said earlier I’m behind 90% of Iowa rules and regs... just think the tag situation is extreme.

It’s been a good buy for me, I like the state, nice people. I have good neighbors now. Probably will have a farm here long term. Maybe, become a resident when I retire (not sure) ...

This has been a good forum to learn, meet people, and yes it’s gets testy at times, but let’s hope everyone can get along no matter what the legislature decides.

That’s a good comment and I thought I should respond to it. We do exactly that. We have not gun hunted our farms in MN the past 3 years. Bow only. If we do, it’s a last minute doe hunt over a food plot etc.. The deer do pile in. Pressure around us, moves the deer to our land.

With 29 days of gun season, bucks are vulnerable . Minnesota has a 9 day gun season November 9, or earlier. Smack in the rut.

We still shoot some nice bucks and full doe tags...it’s not like MN doesn’t have pockets of good hunting. It’s just underwhelming due to the timing of the gun season. Change that back even 2 weeks, and MN is a top state again.

As a archery guy, Iowa is attractive. No guns until December. Your shotgun season has plenty of hunters, but the pick Season 1, or 2 is a good idea.

Both states have too many seasons, like I said earlier I’m behind 90% of Iowa rules and regs... just think the tag situation is extreme.

It’s been a good buy for me, I like the state, nice people. I have good neighbors now. Probably will have a farm here long term. Maybe, become a resident when I retire (not sure) ...

This has been a good forum to learn, meet people, and yes it’s gets testy at times, but let’s hope everyone can get along no matter what the legislature decides.
I think most here respect where you are coming from even if we dont agree. You seem like the type that would like a change but your not hanging by a thread furious its not changing for you. I hope you dont get what you want, but I see no issue with you voicing that here in the respectful manner you do. I moved here because of not wanting to wait on the draw many years ago, it can be done but its harder with family. Like I tell my kids, we all have to make choices and decide whats most important to us. Those things change thru the years. My dream is to own a peice of Iowa that I can hunt someday, but bills like these will cut my chances down significantly. I believe that and I will fight to stop it the best I can. All rec ground here is already 5000$ to over 7000$ an acre. Hard to put 20% down on half a million and if it gets worse it will be nearly impossible to justify. Its a precious resource hanging by a thread. Those who dont believe that I feel sorry for you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Agree on some parts. Would taking guns out of the minnesota rut help. Sure. don't see why it wouldn't. But that alone will not make MN a top state again. There is something that you're missing. IT CANNOT BE OVER STATED. In pockets of Iowa we have great management areas. Letting 140s 3.5 year old walk is a common them in Iowa. ( in some pockets). I know its hard to say it but just saying the only reason Iowa is a great state is because or gun laws and it's timing is weak. Deer hunting has a lot of Testerone going around. Some times it's hard to blame us as the reason why. Maybe just maybe NR could Nut-up and say that we don't have good management practices in play in our states and that's why. My favorite line is. " Well if I dont shoot this 140's then the neighbor will". or this one " guy shoots a 130 in WISC and says "that's a giant for this area, they don't get much better." This happens in Iowa too don't get me wrong. But instead of hiding behind your idea that Guns during rut is the only thing keeping Iowa great, Maybe you should look at the hunting practices in your state and YOUR own hunting practices. Again it hurts the ego but looking at the bigger picture always helps in the long run. I love the knowledge back and forth on this site. always have. There are a lot of intelligent people here.

I can go hunt Minnesota next year for 185$. I'm not a resident of Minnesota. That is another key factor why you aren't a top state. If i'm a non-res coming to hunt your state I don't care about management practices. I'm only there for one year right?? I'll just shoot the first respectful buck that walks by..... again another reason...

@abell13--if I were you, push Iowa to move the gun season up to November 8. Then your problems of NR would be solved. They would sell and leave, because your state would then be 1/3 as good as it used to be. If NR is the big issue to you, try that. See how that goes. See how your pockets of Iowa will look then?

@abell13--if I were you, push Iowa to move the gun season up to November 8. Then your problems of NR would be solved. They would sell and leave, because your state would then be 1/3 as good as it used to be. If NR is the big issue to you, try that. See how that goes. See how your pockets of Iowa will look then?

How about I let you and 5999 more NR come in and hunt every year? Think the quality will change then??? "NOOOOO, IT"S JUST THE GUNS DURING THE RUT". Uneducated takes like this are what is killing your state. Take a look in the mirror. Who is hunting with a gun during November? You are!!

How about I let you and 5999 more NR come in and hunt every year? Think the quality will change then??? "NOOOOO, IT"S JUST THE GUNS DURING THE RUT". Uneducated takes like this are what is killing your state. Take a look in the mirror. Who is hunting with a gun during November? You are!!

OMG...whatever. Just like the guys in Iowa who opposed to rifles are now using them (Bushmaster)....think for a second. It is not one persons crusade, that is going to change the state. It would be much better if all hunters hunted 2-3 weeks later in Minnesota. I am not talking about one guy? Your state would be close to "shitty" if you moved the gun season up to November 8...many of the big bucks would die. You can't deny that.

If Iowa opened up to rifles, you think the guys fighting against it would not be using rifles if it passed?

I think calling Hardwood11 “uneducated” is “uneducated” If you read through his posts he knows much more than 99% of all hunters!

He also just stated he hasn't gun hunted any of his farms in 3 years and they only sometimes the shoot does. so which is it? also as i just commented on in 2018 he shot a dandy with a (you guessed it) shotgun on november 8 in MN. so correct my math here but in 2018 deer season that was 2 season ago. Wow you're right. He sure knows his stuff. lol. He doesn't want to admit it because of his ego but he is, in fact, part of the reason his state doesn't have as good as hunting as it used to. And I'm an asshole for not wanting him hunting in my state every year when he has been a part of his poor hunting practices in his own. Just because he owns land in Iowa doesn't make him educated. He only believes Iowa has great quality hunting because of our gun seasons. If anyone thinks that's the only reason Iowa has quality whitetail than they are in fact sir, not educated.

All of my comments are because I have a deep passion for whitetails. I truly love these animals and don't know what I would do if I couldn't chase them. That being said i'm just trying to educate NR in that your own goals and passion might be the death of a lot of residents passion. The pushing of these bills to allow more NR opportunities is an aggressive stance many of you NR take. Just know your eagerness and want to hunt Iowa every year will drown out and kill the passion many residents have. By passing a bill it will effect many Iowans. Keep in mind that the hunting community is getting less and less support each year. Its better if we stick together on some issues. I just don't want NR agenda hurting and effecting the passion so many Iowans have.

I’m still saying that Hardwood11 knows more than 99% of the average hunters out there! I admire your passion and feel the same about much of what you have said. I just happen to be on the other side as a NRLO and don’t see the Sky is falling thinking on some changes. I ‘ll turkey hunt this Spring, plant food plots and keep hoping to get to hunt a buck with a bow once again. I’ll be selling one of the best 125s around one of these days!

071C7F1A-0506-478D-884E-DCC04E69DFDD.jpeg
.* I like your comment on (you guessed it) shotgun on November 8. I'll give you credit for that! That was genuinely Funny!

Next time I will put an asterisk by my comment, we do not gun hunt (our) farms meaning the land we own personally. We do sit on the 52 acres that I own with another guy, because he is hunting it already with you guessed it--a shotgun. Most of the time we leave that to, for him. Ironically he shot a nice buck the next day in the same blind, as I shot mine, with a shotgun.

*Bills buck shot One day later and yes he did have orange on.. but took it off for pic.

My view is guns in the rut will do more damage to the quality of the deer herd.

Tags every year for NR landowners will do more harm to general deer hunting for Iowa residents (lack of access and further priced out of land ownership).

Unlimited NR tags will be bad for both.

Thanks for the update. Has there been any update on the youth bill. That one seems to be flying under the radar and has me the most worried.

SF 2141 the thinly disguised crossbow bill is very much alive. It is eligible for Senate debate but has not yet been placed on the daily calendar.

SF 2141 the thinly disguised crossbow bill is very much alive. It is eligible for Senate debate but has not yet been placed on the daily calendar.
I'm less worried about the crossbow factor and more worried about it being the gateway to rifles. As worded it would allow youths to use any rifle cartridge allowed in the late antlerless seasons

I'm less worried about the crossbow factor and more worried about it being the gateway to rifles.

Bigbuck be VERY worried about crossguns. In Wisconsin they now have the highest buck kill rate of any weapon riffles included and they have only been in WI about 4 years. I can not impart enough the side effects that crossguns bring with them. Superior weapon in the heart of rut. Guys you never ever thought would hunt out side of the gun season now have a crossgun and hunt the rut.

Bigbuck be VERY worried about crossguns. In Wisconsin they now have the highest buck kill rate of any weapon riffles included and they have only been in WI about 4 years. I can not impart enough the side effects that crossguns bring with them. Superior weapon in the heart of rut. Guys you never ever thought would hunt out side of the gun season now have a crossgun and hunt the rut.
I agree with everything you stated and have voiced my opposition on them before. The youth bill is them trying to weasel crossbows and rifles into the hands of the poor, helpless youth who have it rough trying to kill a deer.

Top Bottom