Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

EHD related question

Daver

PMA Member
I attended one of the DNR input meetings tonight, and was privileged to sit near IW's own world renowned trapper...Fish Bonker, but that is another topic for another time. :)

Coming out of that meeting tonight...I would like to get the input from the guys here on this question...

Do you think that EHD disproportionately impacts older, say 5+ year old, bucks OR pretty much all deer and age classes similarly?

After we get a few answers and a discussion going, I will share a little more of why I am asking that question. Please share your thoughts and also WHY you think that way. TIA.

I think the midges attack the velvet on bucks, getting access to the deer easily because most of the deer is covered in think hair where the midges can't bite.

I think the midges attack the velvet on bucks, getting access to the deer easily because most of the deer is covered in think hair where the midges can't bite.

Just based on what i have seen last couple of years in my area im going to say effects older bucks the most ? Maybe the higher blood flow required to grow the antlers has something to do with it ? But we either have a poaching concern or older bucks have been lost to ehd? Too many have just dissapeared over last couple years . my 2 cents

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

Small sampling of my 20 acre farm. Since 2012 I have found 7 bucks dead in my crick or a couple hundred yards downstream on the neighbors. 3 of those were 160" deer the others 110-120. This year I found 3 bucks, a 160 and a couple 2.5 year olds, also a couple does.

Talking to neighbors it seemed to hit does worse than bucks this year. One neighbor found 4 does mowing hay in September. Several others found does dead but no bucks.

I have come to believe that EHD can be in an area from year to year, not really sure how to word that, but I find bucks dead in years when it is not prevalent.

It sure seems as though mature bucks are hit harder. The bigger the antlers the more surface area for midges to bite theory makes a lot of sense.

With minimal walking, I found two 2.5 yr old EHD bucks, no “mature” bucks. My thought is that EHD has come through a couple times in the recent past, these younger bucks hadn’t been exposed. Older class had some immunity from previous exposure. Not scientific, just rambling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about just doe v bucks v fawns? Leave age structure out of it. Which gets hits hardest, does, bucks or fawns? Do you find more dead does, bucks or fawns?

Of the 70+ I found this yr, it was equal across the board. Fawns,does,young bucks,old bucks. I have not even started shed hunting to get a better count. Can’t say I’m excited to look.

Seemed like when we had it roll through 3-4 years ago in NE Iowa, it pounded about half of our bucks 2 years and up, does and fawns were definitely not hit as hard.

Agree on above. Antlers are easy biting for midge. Then- the 2nd kicker is when the antlers start to shed velvet- it’s a blood bath & attracts midges like crazy. When we find em- I’d say well over 50% die when they are shedding velvet. Dunno if “size of antlers” has big component but I gotta think the more antler, surface & blood- possibly bigger draw & target. Age likely has something to do with it IMO. I guess my “theory” would be a buck that has something else like a “stressed condition” from old age, previous hard ruts, parasites, etc all could have impact. Maybe with other conditions - that could be difference between surviving ehd or not.
The newest strain or latest strain of Ehd to hit iowa (warren, Madison, lucas, etc) is likely different than what we saw in 2012-2013 for example. Some in dnr said deaths were different where they often died so quick - didn’t make to water. Seemed to kill more does & fawns as well.
I’ve been on way too many farms seeing various degrees of ehd over last 10-20 years. Last 10 was when I really started digging in, reading, talking to experts and trying to find links to higher die offs. One huge one that I’m personally absolutely convinced...... higher the cattle areas - more ehd/BT u will see. No doubt in my mind. Shipping in cattle from down south & all over the country and local cows being carriers. Then- cattle creating perfect midge breeding grounds - often go hand in hand with massive deer die offs from ehd. Not the whole picture but it’s a huge element. If I could design a “perfect hunting farm” it would be in a location 10, 20, 50 miles from cattle. In reality- I’d want to be 1-2 miles away which some studies show the major impact range of wind drifted midges. U get past a few miles & midges from cattle yards would clearly be less frequent from winds. Guess it could be farther. If I could be 100 miles from a stupid cow- I’d love it. Will it ever happen? Clearly not. Just stating it to help understand the disease as well as low to high risk areas and why xyz deaths may be worse in some areas vs others.
Hopeful our resistance is building to new strains.

***take note..... if u all find dead shed bucks or bucks that died late or randomly (as in, u don’t think from hunter & doesn’t look like a november death from a buck fight)..... look at hooves. See if deformities, cracks or infected areas around hooves. Very likely ehd survivor that died from secondary infection.

Top Bottom