Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Increase in NR tags HF 2517

Which is why more NR buy up big farms (cheaper price)...Thank you. Your system has been great for a NR to create wealth and income.

“unintended consequence”

There is way more wealth than acres. The price per acre does not concern the real money. The tag issue does. I sold a high-end hunting property and know first hand what kind of money is out there waiting in the wings. I used to think that having a few million dollars was big money. It is not. Not even close.

Have a great weekend. I am going to enjoy the mid 60's and figure out this years habitat projects and spring clover planting.

Excellent points & great debate for MOST of this. Just finishing long stretch of farm work & enjoying outdoors. Appreciate seeing critical thinkers & great debate on both sides. Well done.

A blanket increase of NR tags is way worse IMO opinion than giving NRLO tags. I owned land in IL when they raised the NR landowner tags and this fueled the outfitting business which ruined the hunting in IL. Outfitters popped up everywhere and people from all over the country started coming to western IL. All the ground ended up getting leased up, land prices skyrocketed, and the clients of these outfitters ruined things by shooting tons of 3 and 4 year old bucks. I literally quit hunting my IL farms and sold them. I pray that we don't see an increase in NR tags that helps fuel the outfitting business in IA!

A blanket increase of NR tags is way worse IMO opinion than giving NRLO tags. I owned land in IL when they raised the NR landowner tags and this fueled the outfitting business which ruined the hunting in IL. Outfitters popped up everywhere and people from all over the country started coming to western IL. All the ground ended up getting leased up, land prices skyrocketed, and the clients of these outfitters ruined things by shooting tons of 3 and 4 year old bucks. I literally quit hunting my IL farms and sold them. I pray that we don't see an increase in NR tags that helps fuel the outfitting business in IA!

Great comments dtr. Most of us deer hunting Iowans know that ANY increase in NR licenses will be bad. I had contact with four NRs last year that were hunting adjacent properties. Nothing negative. They were all polite but they were after the same deer as me. That is enough competition in my opinion. Hard to manage anything when they shoot the 3 and 4 year olds as you said and they did. I've had this competition for a while now. I always have a "Do Not Shoot" list. Unfortunately many end up getting shot by NRs. There is an irresistible urge to fill the tag. Just hope our legislators understand what they are voting 'for' or 'against'. I'm also curious when was the last time that residents received some sort of benefit? Not sure I can remember. Maybe us non land owner bowhunters should be able to shoot a couple of bucks during October or November. Shoot three does to earn a second any sex tag maybe? Anybody know how many shotgun antlerless only tags are purchased by nonresidents? Just curious how many nonresident party hunters there are. Had a buddy get offered a day's worth of wages to accompany NRs a couple fo years ago during shotgun season. First time I knew that was going on. It just seems relentless.

The NR party hunting deal gets abused majorly. Party hunting gets abused majorly by residents too.

Who would support party hunting for does ONLY? IMO that's what it should be. Party hunting is to manage populations. That is done by doe harvests. Period.

That would end abuse by residents and non residents alike.

The NR party hunting deal gets abused majorly. Party hunting gets abused majorly by residents too.

Who would support party hunting for does ONLY? IMO that's what it should be. Party hunting is to manage populations. That is done by doe harvests. Period.

That would end abuse by residents and non residents alike.

I suggested this at one of the DNR meetings - and it was not well received. Party hunt all you want for doe, but only put a tag on a buck you actually shot. I could really get behind that change.

This discussion is pretty interesting.... QUESTION/SCENARIO.. Why would this be if this is the case???......

I’m gonna take some liberty on what I hear from both sides.... gonna say 90%+ of residents do not want the NR tag situation changed. (Exceptions I’ve ran into would be outfitters, a few realtors and a few landowners who might sell). But overwhelmingly - R’s do not want regs changed. Would most agree with this?

On NR or NRLO side..... many being my friends.... I’m gonna estimate about 60-70% don’t want it changed or very slightly if so. That’s a lot larger % of folks that DO want the regs changed though- 30-40%, IMO, which is a lot more “for reg change”. Why would this be? Would u all agree with this?

**one side note I want mention, just food for thought.... when I have honest discussions with NR’s - most will say something like this.... “I want it changed for selfish reasons but I know it would hurt the state.” Most I know don’t want it changed though “man, I hope iowa doesn’t sell out like other states. It’s the last great place.” On hardcore side of change- I do talk to a good bit “BS I pay taxes, put thousands in iowa, grow huge amounts of deer and I can’t get one buck tag”. I hear it all. Last is minority position but it’s always been loud & that fight will never end.
Anyone else see these differences with positions with R & NR’s? Or totally different? I think I’m pretty close. Why would this be? Who should have the impact in the decision made? R, NR, or they are equal? I have my opinion there. Interesting at least & feel free to chime in if u agree or disagree.

This discussion is pretty interesting.... why would this be if this is the case???......

I’m gonna take some liberty on what I hear from both sides.... gonna say 90%+ of residents do not want the NR tag situation changed. (Exceptions I’ve ran into would be outfitters, a few realtors and a few landowners who might sell). But overwhelmingly - R’s do not want regs changed. Would most agree with this?

On NR or NRLO side..... many being my friends.... I’m gonna estimate about 60-70% don’t want it changed or very slightly if so. That’s a lot larger % of folks that DO want the regs changed though- 30-40%, IMO, which is a lot more “for reg change”. Why would this be? Would u all agree with this?

**one side note I want mention, just food for thought.... when I have honest discussions with NR’s - most will say something like this.... “I want it changed for selfish reasons but I know it would hurt the state.” Most I know don’t want it changed though “man, I hope iowa doesn’t sell out like other states. It’s the last great place.” On hardcore side of change- I do talk to a good bit “BS I pay taxes, put thousands in iowa, grow huge amounts of deer and I can’t get one buck tag”. I hear it all. Last is minority position but it’s always been loud & that fight will never end.
Anyone else see these differences with positions with R & NR’s? Or totally different? I think I’m pretty close. Why would this be? Who should have the impact in the decision made? R, NR, or they are equal? I have my opinion there. Interesting at least & feel free to chime in if u agree or disagree.

Sligh1 your guesses are as good as mine. I began hunting public land about 44 years ago. Loved it. Wish I knew then what I know now. Began hunting permission private. Loved it. Land kept changing hands/selling. Had to move on. Today I lease. Financially I can swing it but others can't. And most of those that can't, understand the quality of the resource in the state they call home. The best places to hunt are in hands of those that usually don't allow others to hunt. Rs with limited resources but love to hunt continue to lose permission, encounter more hunters on public and are becoming frustrated. Many of them are my hunting friends.

The 'pay taxes' thing you mention is an interesting comment. I hate taxes but the the taxes on a rural 40 acre aliquot part are a very low percentage of the parcel. My guess is a lot of the good hunting ground is enrolled in the timber reserve program anyway. No taxes I believe.

"Growing huge amounts of deer" as you said it, is the problem, and we all know it. 2012 decimated Iowa. It's coming back now. Based on what I am hearing from Legislators, they are being sold a story that additional NR licenses are needed to reduce deer numbers. At least that is what they are hearing. No idea who is telling them that. Could be DNR, could be the realtors or outfitters you mention. I don't know but I don't doubt it a bit. But what I do know is the exact opposite effect will occur.

The minority you mention seem to have a loud voice this time. 4 lobbyists paid by one person? Definitely an agenda and I'm sure much more money than I will make in a lifetime. Only thing I have he doesn't is a vote because I am a resident. He needs to move to Iowa. Many have. I think you did. It's a great state especially if you like to hunt whitetails. God forbid we turn into a state with unlimited NR licenses like our neighbors. Only land owner deer hunters will have fun then. For those of us that don't own land it will be tough.

I've pretty much minded my own business for 44 years but I'm sick and tired of NRs trying to influence my recreational opportunities while these opportunities continue to diminish for me and my friends. As I said in an earlier post, when was the last time opportunities were created for Rs, especially bowhunters? My guess is if the number of landowner licenses was reduced, as I proposed in an amendment to the House Natural Resource Committee, land would get sold, residents would buy and the deer population would be controlled better.

**one side note I want mention, just food for thought.... when I have honest discussions with NR’s - most will say something like this.... “I want it changed for selfish reasons but I know it would hurt the state.” Most I know don’t want it changed though “man, I hope iowa doesn’t sell out like other states. It’s the last great place.” .
This^ is true for myself and my buddies here in NCMO. I’ll have 4 points (i think) after this may and be hoping to draw 2021. Ive been blessed with some pretty good opportunities here but have always wanted to sit in a tree in Iowa.
I really wish MDC would adopt IA regs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just fired off another email:

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I saw this financial impact study regarding this bill and have some thoughts. https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/publications/FN/1131858.pdf

More money from tags is a good thing right? WRONG!

There are literally thousands of people that have moved to Iowa because of the hunting QUALITY. I am one of them

How about a survey to identify exactly how many have moved here because of hunting? How about a financial impact study on the economic impact generated by people like me YEAR ROUND for a LIFETIME.

Here is another idea: Raise the tag prices $200. Tags will STILL sell out. The same additional $1.2M will be generated AND hunting quality will be preserved.

Lets not become another state. Lets keep Iowa GREAT.

Sincerely,

-Rob Lange

Many of my friends moved here for Iowa's Hunting Quality! I moved across the state for better opportunity.
I was born and raised here and I stayed in Iowa and raised a family for a few reasons...its quality of living, good values and deer hunting.
Never thought I would get sold out though.

I wish they would let resident non landowners a chance to buy a second bow tag even if it was a drawing!!!
My checkbook is waiting :D:D

My senator responded he was supportive of efforts to "thin the deer herd". I tried to educate him the lower harvest this year was often because so many died of EHD. I also let him know that the residents can manage the herd. And, opening up more tags to NR will cause more land to be purchased by non-residents who are less likely to be able to manage the herd.

All the Non resident hunters I have met have the attitude that they rather go home empty handed rather than shoot something they could shoot in their state. I really have not experienced the attitude of having to kill something to fill a tag. I actually see more "If its Brown its Down" from the large deer drives in the area.
I really wish we would go to a one buck quota in Iowa. We would definitely see even larger deer than what we have now. I think the party hunting kills more deer than anything.

Reactions: arm
Top Bottom