Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Apple/Pear Trees

Pruned a dozen apple trees this weekend, they’re going on their 4th growing season this summer, got them as little 3-4’ whips and man they grow fast! I had only pruned them once before and they were due. Was getting tough to treat them for bugs and also quite a big sail up there for wind to catch. So I pruned a little more aggressive than normal. Think it was too much? I needed a saw to remove the Y on the first tree, have to do that this weekend. And come back to hit the last tree with a longer reaching pruners.

240e8f489b4edda2b9fcb471e13399c6.jpg

6f6186f8809df7211e37e15cf32ad00e.jpg

497f0a70849c9b90a626ecdb70744267.jpg

95523590b001ca755d643d44b6d6d56d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The grafts are healing well looks like. I tried to pull a few apart and it would take some doing to get that done.

NAYE Grafting tool
3dbe4361f7361e23bed377a0df67cf44.jpg

Rind graft
92d3e1cc6e716a8643f9b424f6a917d7.jpg

Looking like it might be a bad year for fruit again in Iowa. Lows in mid 20s coming.....

Wierd weather. Gonna keep folks out of fields too.

Looking like it might be a bad year for fruit again in Iowa. Lows in mid 20s coming.....

Wierd weather. Gonna keep folks out of fields too.

I had a low of 27 the other night with the blooms on or starting. The ice may have saved some of them...time will tell.

Apple, serviceberry and plum

6dfdcc670b53e4490fd0cf3e8b07ebd1.jpg

8f8b850507e7225c3cecd31c0f8960e8.jpg

8079b86736b6a0431870fba22bc39e43.jpg

Anybody had success using paint laced with red pepper or cayenne pepper or whatever on fruit trees? I'd like to do that if it works instead of screening them all. Got a pretty decent size shipment coming this week.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

What are you guys spraying to keep the bugs off and how often. True rookie here and I’ve never “treated” fruit trees. New place has a nice apple tree that had some great fruit on it it when I bought it last fall. Not a huge tree but old and seems to produce well if last year was any indication. Looking to keep it as healthy as possible so any other tips are appreciated as well

Anybody had success using paint laced with red pepper or cayenne pepper or whatever on fruit trees? I'd like to do that if it works instead of screening them all. Got a pretty decent size shipment coming this week.

I did this last year on 4 new bare root apple trees. No damage to date.

What are you guys spraying to keep the bugs off and how often. True rookie here and I’ve never “treated” fruit trees. New place has a nice apple tree that had some great fruit on it it when I bought it last fall. Not a huge tree but old and seems to produce well if last year was any indication. Looking to keep it as healthy as possible so any other tips are appreciated as well
On that one id keep it limited. Sounds like it’s pretty established and not a lot of problems. Dormant or horticultural oil is good in winter. In summer- neem oil, other oils & soaps when in blossom - for bees. Once no blossoms - if u have pests.... perithryns like permethrin are pretty safe & shorter acting. If u r not going to eat & it’s for deer - plenty of other choices as well. But ur example sounds like it will be easier to manage.

Covered our peach trees, here’s to hoping the blossoms didn’t die! Tried to half cover the Keifer pear, didn’t bother with the crab apples since the pink crisp and honey crisp weren’t blossomed yet

1a5e546eb30c965918f40184f7bf2dbc.jpg

2128b47b5cc1b0d92f827cfb4e8c6f66.jpg

Just walking by my peach trees and one pear tree that have tons of blossoms on them. Wondering if I didn't already lose them. One year I tried covering with Sheetz and putting Christmas lights on them felt like kind of a fool the kids thought it looked pretty cool though, Christmas in April! Good luck

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Your trees are WAY ahead of mine. With freezing temps forecast, glad mine have barely started to break bud.

Put it on my trees about a year ago and nothing touched them so far. Water based White Paint with Cayenne.....bring the Cayenne with you to the paint shop and have him add the Cayenne as he is mixing the paint. I waited to add it after it was mixed but before it was shook and it did not spread well in the paint. Also last year I started doing the 1 pound of 46-0-0 on each tree once in March and again in May and could see a differecnce. You have to wait until thet are three years old for that amount of Nitro.

The NWC trees came in today and they’re impressive! I’m not big on the “catchy” names as they can be over-hyped. 3, 30-06 and 3 crosssbow....time will tell how great these trademarked varieties are.

Here’s the website if anyone is interested. Terry had a bunch of cancellations because of the rona. I called him to see what he still had in stock.

https://www.northernwhitetailcrabs.com/whitetail-tree-selections

53f0e27186be1a1fbb958449418baae0.jpg

I’m really excited to try this wild tree at the farm. This was a scion sent to me with a lot of great attributes. A rind graft was issued for the connection.

bd42bb002f7afbe4e6bd3759813f6625.jpg

Gonna have pears this year on this one again! The other two varieties, wish I could recall what they were, aren’t going to put blossoms on this year again... weird?

2c3b389615a154b855fbfc74454af4ac.jpg

804856afee33d2459095dd27c6b491e8.jpg

Top Bottom