Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Average of land values

Reit38

Father is possibly looking at purchasing first hunting property. Is there say, an average of what iowa timber and also what crp ground is going for... trying to figure out how to approach with an offer.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Stuff here is 5k to just over 7k with any mix of income.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Very dependant of what area of state your looking in . southern buy us. 2900 to 3500 acre

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

This would be border of Bremer and Black Hawk

About 85acre if timber and 30acre of crp

Last edited:
Could be a little lull in the market, so much depends on interest rates, ag income, and how the unemployment rate is affected.

Hard to say, but there should be some price decrease.

Land value predictions. Rec ground coming down.

Tillable going up. Bond market is junk. Stocks are scaring people. There are few options to dump money with any kind of return. Tillable jumps because of it imo. Return % will go down with higher prices but it's better than zero. Thsts the way investors will look at it.

Side note.... a TON of money is going to be made in the stock market when this flips. The question remains is the path back up quick or long and painful.

Last edited:
Land value predictions. Rec ground coming down.

Tillable going up. Bond market is junk. Stocks are scaring people. There are few options to dump money with any kind of return. Tillable jumps because of it imo. Return % will go down with higher prices but it's better than zero. Thsts the way investors will look at it.

Side note.... a TON of money is going to be made in the stock market when this flips. The question remains is the path back up quick or long and painful.

Agree with most of that. Tillable going up, will depend on if we see some comeback in the corn and bean prices. Beans have been up the past 3 days, that helps. Corn not doing much due to ethanol demand being low.

Agree with most of that. Tillable going up, will depend on if we see some comeback in the corn and bean prices. Beans have been up the past 3 days, that helps. Corn not doing much due to ethanol demand being low.
See I dont think it matters. Farmers care about corn and bean prices. Investors, not so much. It's just numbers. Even 3% return on farm ground way better than the bond market. I think investors will be looking for a place to park money.

We shall see.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

See I dont think it matters. Farmers care about corn and bean prices. Investors, not so much. It's just numbers. Even 3% return on farm ground way better than the bond market. I think investors will be looking for a place to park money.

We shall see.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I agree with you here. Know an ag based realtor and he said there is no hesitation in his investor types to buy now. Maybe even more motivated since some pulled money out before the collapse. I doubt it will change much going forward, unless a landowner is hard up to make a sale.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Any timber in Blackhawk or Bremer Co should be low market value right now. Just not strong enough management in those Counties to drive up cost per acre. Tillable different story tho.

Any timber in Blackhawk or Bremer Co should be low market value right now. Just not strong enough management in those Counties to drive up cost per acre. Tillable different story tho.

I disagree. In my experience any timber near a major metro area usually brings substantially more. More money/more buyers wanting something close to home. Deer management isn't the determining factor. Pure supply and demand.

I disagree. In my experience any timber near a major metro area usually brings substantially more. More money/more buyers wanting something close to home. Deer management isn't the determining factor. Pure supply and demand.
Agreed with you. Is this land close to metro? Also do we call Cedarfalls/Wloo major metro? If it is being bought for solely hunting purposes than the neighborhood is everything. Any land realtor should lead with that. If they dont they dont have your best hunting interest in mind. Now, if you're buying it for more than just hunting than yes, by all means there are a lot more factors that come in play, and make drive the price.

If this market does drop a bit and the virus slows down or a vaccine... it will not take long to make it move upward again. People have short memories. Low interest rates will help, a recovery in the market may factor in as well, some buyers use that $$ for down payment.

If it's on the bremer/black hawk line then that will be somewhere between Waverly and Wloo/Cedar Falls. I would consider it a major metro for Iowa. Plenty of money there with John Deere and other major manufacturers.

My advice is get as much information of the area as you can. Neighbors are EVERYTHING. If your goal is to harvest mature bucks and older age class deer than get to know all about the surrounding farms and see if that's feasible. A good Neighborhood and good Neighbors are everything! As far as what's its worth?? Well all depends on your findings. It's worth what you are willing to pay. Good interest rates out there right now! could help down payment.

My advice would be to look online at any of the real estate websites and that will give you a number. Those numbers will be higher if this land isn't advertised through a deer specific agent IMO. Should be able to search some similar in size and location.
And I wouldnt let neighbors and other things completely dictate your decision unless your end goal is to always have trophies or large numbers of mature bucks. While that is nice, sometimes its nice to just have your own little place of ground where you dont have to ask permission yearly and worry about someone else getting permission and you getting the boot. May have to deal with trespassing and that is when I'd be more keen on knowing my neighbors than their management practices.

Again, I can't stress how important Neighbors are. ( trespassing, management, quality of enjoyment) all fall into the category of understanding and learning your neighbors/area. If you want just want land to be able to go out and hunt and not have to worry about hassle, getting permission than any land will do and you don't really need anyones help/insite. all depends on your goals.

Top Bottom