Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Timber Question

sep0667

Land of the Whitetail
My turkey hunting has been 100% field edge hunting. I haven't hunted in the timber at all. I'd like to change it up a little this year and get in the timber just try something new. What can I expect to see? They have seemed pretty easy to spot and decoy in sitting on field edges. I may be able to hunt a new property this year that is primarily all timber. Do decoys work pretty well in the timber before it greens up to much?

I've killed quite a few in the timber. Decoys do work. I've always tried to know where the birds roost. Then try to set up between the roost and where they normally head to in the mornings. Evenings, get into a similar spot (may be different) where they come back. If you have the roost tree pegged, you can sit and wait and they will eventually arrive. Dont that a few times. They can and will wander in the timber during the day, but a lot of them head to the fields.

I've killed many turks in the timber over the years...a couple things that I think are key are:

1. If you are in open timber, where they can see a long ways, then you certainly don't want to call to them when they can see your position AND I think it is tougher in general to call them in while in open timber.

2. It is better to call them uphill than down, but there are exceptions to that rule.

3. I would often try to position myself just off the crest of a ridge and try to call the bird to, or just over on my side, the ridgetop. Make him have to look for the source of the call. I liked to be about 5-10 yards off of the crest, that way if they make it to the crest, they are likely in range AND if you have to move again, you hopefully can do so out of site on your side of the ridgetop. Strategery! :)

Top Bottom