Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

WTB - ATV equipment for food plots

Rjack

Made the jump and bought a piece of land. There is a 2 acre food plot already established and I'm looking to gear up for food plotting. Let me know if you have, or know of, any of the following used items for ATV plotting.

Rough cut pull behind mower
Pull Flip disc
Pull Cultipacker
ATV sprayer - but will probably go new for this
14' (or possibly 12') aluminum trailer

Yeah, I need the ATV as well, but seems like I can find those on Craigslist pretty easy. Any suggestions? Probably like trucks - everyone likes a certain brand - and it is likely the one they are driving.

I'm sure there are many other things I'll find are essential, but this is my starting list.

Congrats on the land. Get a big atv to be able to safely and reliably handle those implements our getting. Your addiction is gonna get bigger.

Man I would look for an older small tractor if it were me. ATV is going to be worked hard and not do near the job. They are around for 6k and tons on small implements out there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Man I would look for an older small tractor if it were me. ATV is going to be worked hard and not do near the job. They are around for 6k and tons on small implements out there.

As someone that has migrated "up" over the years from doing plots by hand, then a lawn tractor and hand tool combo, then doing them via ATV and associated implements and then thankfully getting a nice tractor and most of the toys necessary...I mostly agree with you. ^^ But, for 2 acres...I think the ATV approach is fine. I think even up to 5 to 7 acres per year, provided you aren't trying to work all of the acres at the same time/season, is plenty doable. But above that...a tractor and accessories are almost a must, unless you can contract someone to do some/all of the acres.

RJack - I have sold all of the ATV related gear that I had that I wasn't using, sorry. I still do occasionally use a drag behind my ATV and also a small cultipacker at times. I still use my ATV mounted sprayer most of the time.

Congrats again on the new dirt buddy - I think you are going to enjoy that slice of so Iowa !! Access sometimes dictates equipment choices (I know from personal experiences) and no doubt in my mind that small plot work can be done with the equipment listing you stated. If you integrate a perennial/annual rotation plan on a portion of that 2 acres, it is definitely a workable scenario.

Look to craigs list for cultipackers https://desmoines.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=cultipacker&sort=rel

Consider King cutter for disk has the weight and well built

2 acres will be no problem with the ATV.....If you do the Double Tree Rotation you will only need to disk 40% each year.

20% Clover
40% Turnips/Rape - No need to till kill and seed
40% Winter rye mix - Need to till

I used to have a disk like that one pictured and it worked well once I added some weight to it. My ATV is only a 350, air cooled too, bigger, water cooled ones would really have no trouble with something like that.

Congrats on the land purchase!!! As far as atv. The bigger hondas engine and tranny are about as tough as it gets!! Especially. On a used unit!

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input everyone.

Congrats on the land purchase!!! As far as atv. The bigger hondas engine and tranny are about as tough as it gets!! Especially. On a used unit!

When you say "bigger Hondas", I assume you mean the 500s(Rubicon/Foreman). The Rincon has a 680, but I have read they are not recommended for pulling and snow plowing as they don't have a low enough gear. Used Hondas are a little tough to find.

Last edited:
The hondas are transverse motors with shaft drive and are bulit proof. I currently have a 07 arctic cat 700 diesel ! All the torque you want but . only made 2 years 07/08. Very hard to find . will pull anything but . still feel hondas are better built . / i also have a tractor i do most plots with now.

Screenshot_20200414-194708_Samsung Internet.jpg
Saw this while browsing farm classifieds on craigslist for Waterloo. No idea if that is a good price or not.

I pondered whether to go ATV or small tractor for months...ended up with an 8n. Tractor, 3 point two row disc and brush mower, $2500. Hasn't failed me yet. The brush mower is much better than the pull behind (I have used one for several years) and the disc works way better than I had thought it would. I'm debating buying a 3 point sprayer for it but I'm slightly concerned how it would get around when it's a little wet. The ATV would win out when spraying for that reason Id guess. No bucket is also a con but nor would an ATV have one. Picked up a 7 foot cultipacker for $600, that may be a little big for an ATV. I leave it all right there so as not to have to trailer it. I'd guess when I'm ready to move up to a real tractor;) the 8n will still be worth $2500. 5 years of food plotting with an ATV may take a toll on the machine. My 2

Top Bottom