Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Freeze!

loneranger

Awhile back I talked about the tendency for warm weather to force fruit bud advance and then cold air is sure to threaten. By golly if that isn’t the case again. Was just enough warmth to tease my fruit trees to the point that I can see the little fruit buds Now artic blasts maybe even snow is in the forecast next week. I have a chart that has pictures of bud development along with critical low temperatures. Next week will be near critical with lows forecast in the 20s. I am in SE Iowa.

I have lived in N Mich and raised fruit. Up there it stays cold until June. By then it jumps abruptly to Summer. Buds stay in until Summer. Rare to lose a crop up there. I figure in the south it is better becase killing freeze during blooming time is also rare. Here in central and southern Iowa we get both extremes in April. Way warm and way cold. Maybe why I see few orchards here. A shame too as all my trees are loaded with fruit buds

Even Boone area. Where I know of a large orchard operation. They have 21 forecast lows next week. That may end their crop for the year.

What day are they talking snow? It would be cool to decap a turkey in the snow...... crimson snow everywhere by the kill would make for a great picture

Well 20s every night this week. Two mornings with snow covering my fruit trees. Be interesting to see if I have any fruit this year.

27 for a low in Minnesota (this weekend) not good for fruit.

Or buckwheat! If anyone has planted that yet, they may lose it all with this cold snap. Meanwhile...I am once again reminded why I gave up on fruit trees at my farm many years ago now. If the drought doesn't straight up kill the trees in the summer...uneven spring weather sees to it that there is little to no fruit produced.

Or buckwheat! If anyone has planted that yet, they may lose it all with this cold snap. Meanwhile...I am once again reminded why I gave up on fruit trees at my farm many years ago now. If the drought doesn't straight up kill the trees in the summer...uneven spring weather sees to it that there is little to no fruit produced.

Seems to be worse lately, must be global warming (cough) no it is just strange. Soybeans (if emerged) might be in trouble in some areas?

7377c9f3c561269c8aff961047d1fe17.jpg

Garden ready for cold temps. Apple trees in bloom, we’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom