Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

First of many

bigbuckhunter88

PMA Member
Well this season I decided I would try to get the two oldest on their first spectating hunts. They are 4 and 3. The 4 year old was up first today. It was a little colder than I would have liked but with the recent weather I figured we were in for a good morning. Got in the blind plenty early and just as we finished getting set up the first bird gobbled from the limb. He thought that was "super cool". The morning erupted with gobbles everywhere and the closest was under 100 yards. How he didn't hear us getting set up was a miracle. As they flew down we had a tom come to 60 yards and strut back and forth but not want to commit. We had probably 10 turkeys under 100 yards with 5 gobblers, a few hens and some Jake's. Mason watched in excitement and I was caught up watching him. All of sudden I caught movement to my right and it was a coyote. He was at 30 yards staring at all the turkeys. I told Mason and between getting his ear muffs on him and getting the gun swung he was off chasing turkeys and out of range. I had to listen to no less than 25 "Shoot him"s or "shoot the coyote" and they were jumping from whisper screams to normal talking. The coyote ended up reroosting all the turkey's around us and wandered out of sight. I made a few soft calls while they were back on the limb and waited. 15 minutes later the turkeys flew down again and there was one strutter who was slowly working our way. I think Mason told me to shoot him every 5 yards from 100 to 30. The plan was to let him come all the way in to 5 yards to the decoys. The plan was working great as long as he didn't see the 4 year old moving around like he sat on an ant hill. At around 40 yards i put his hearing protection back on because at the first putt I was going to shoot. Around 30 yards I saw some sort of flying insect pass through my field of view in the blind without a thought. To a 4 year old that resulted in him saying "Mosquito!" In an excited, normal talking voice, followed by a clap of the hands to smash it. The Tom picked his head up in what I assume was his last move before taking off and I let the shotgun bark. Watching my 4 year old try to climb out of a ground blind and run through briars and tree tops to the downed turkey is a memory I hope never leaves me. This was my favorite hunt to date of any species and I can't wait to do it again. Little sis thinks she wants to give it a go 4th season so we will see.
Also trying to get a good harvest pic with a 4, 3, and 1 year old is no easy task
4716be8d128d36064b0b7ece8ebcfafb.jpg
36b6b66b2045afc7560a7e6c11f3fb3b.jpg
203a2820217fc61011024de60bcb0028.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Awesome buddy, congrats on the bird and really awesome to be getting the littlest ones out. It is a blast and my guy has been hooked since 4 too!!!!

Great stuff there. I was just fondly reminiscing yesterday with my oldest son, now 27, about some of our first hunts together when he was that age. You are making great, long lasting memories and you will be grateful for those in the future. Nice job and congrats on the turkey!

That’s awesome! Congrats on the bird too.

Nothing like having the kiddos in the woods!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool story! Great memories enjoy every minute cause they’ll be out of the house before you know it!

Top Bottom