Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Early Spring?

loneranger

Everyone gets all excited about warm temps. Last March was cold. A cold March is good if you have fruit trees. Keep em asleep as long as you can. Warm March forces them to wake up. Buds open. Then it is inevitable another cold shot will sneak in. Usually around the first of April an get down there maybe 19 or 20 and you have flowering trees. No fruit that year. Southern Iowa more susceptible than Northern Iowa to this. So,,a warm March is nice but menacing if you grow fruit.

I know what you’re saying. There goes the loneranger with his negativity again. But it is true. Has happened to my fruit at least 3 times in the past 10 years. Warm too soon. Then a freeze. No fruit.

A warm March is great when you have livestock, early pasture, not to mention max antler growth with an early spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One help I see is currently the air masses are Very Dry. This means nighttime lows should get down to 32. Or a bit below. This should help keep ground temps lower. Help keep trees , fruit trees dormant

Top Bottom