Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Necked cartidge bill returns HF 716

Evidentially knocking over deer with a 375 is essential. Don't know how we ever killed a deer without it in the past. Seems like there might be a little more pressing items out there to work on. Good grief.

Politicians, lobbyists and special interests pumping this are pretty messed up, sick puppies. Greedy, lack any understanding into Iowa's hunting, short sighted and plain foolish. Folks, please take a few mins of your time to write in with your own words, reasons & in a concise/respectful manner!!!!

Got a reply from my Senator a few minutes ago. She indicated there would be an amendment filed this afternoon and the bill would be debated this afternoon or evening. I did some digging and here is a link to the amendment: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=S5122&ga=88

On a quick read it calls for the DNR to do a study on hunting with pistols, who the bill affects and the potential ramifications of the bill. It was proposed by Senator Boulton, a dem from DSM so it doesn't stand much of a chance but you never know.

I'm guessing the amendment was put forth to delay the implementation of the law until the next legislative session.

That took les than 12 minutes. The amendment failed 18-32, the bill passed 37-13.

Sad day for deer hunting in Iowa. So now a road map has been established; if you want to pass bad laws for hunting run them through the process as a public safety bill and not a natural resources bill.

I will say that Senator Boulton spoke very well for his amendment saying over and over that they had heard from several conservation groups and the conservation groups were very concerned that the bill would have a negative overall effect on deer hunting. Senator Cournoyer did not share who they have been hearing from but hypothesized that the bill will only clear up language and have no effect on deer hunting.

When the video clip becomes available I'll try to post a link to the "debate".

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:
Y'all ready for shotgun type pushes with AR's all thru Muzzleloader season?.... I mean pistols?

How about the guy that thinks it funny to go kill deer with elephant guns.

Fucking horrible decision. Beyond pissed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That took les than 12 minutes. The amendment failed 18-32, the bill passed 37-13.

Sad day for deer hunting in Iowa. So now a road map has been established; if you want to pass bad laws for hunting run them through the process as a public safety bill and not a natural resources bill.

I will say that Senator Boulton spoke very well for his amendment saying over and over that they had heard from several conservation groups and the conservation groups were very concerned that the bill would have a negative overall effect on deer hunting. Senator Cournoyer did not share who they have been hearing from but hypnotized that the bill will only clear up language and have no effect on deer hunting.

Bonk can you post the link so we can see how our representatives voted?
Lord have mercy on my representative if they voted in favor of this!!!

I will say that Senator Boulton spoke very well for his amendment saying over and over that they had heard from several conservation groups and the conservation groups were very concerned that the bill would have a negative overall effect on deer hunting. Senator Cournoyer did not share who they have been hearing from but hypnotized that the bill will only clear up language and have no effect on deer hunting.

should be good for the blood trackers to stay busy.

Bonk can you post the link so we can see how our representatives voted?

I will do that. The votes will be published in the Senate Journal sometime tonight or early tomorrow.

I do need to clarify one thing, this bill started out in the House in the Pubic Safety Committee, when it went to the Senate it went through the Natural Resources Committee.

This bill was submitted on behalf of Iowan’s, at the request of Iowan’s, and for the benefit of Iowan’s.

This bill was drafted by the local non-profit, the Iowa Firearms Coalition, at the request of and on behalf of our members (Iowa Residents). The Iowa Firearms coalition staff (all Iowa residents and volunteers) worked hard over the last couple years to pass this bill and were the lobbyist behind the effort.

The intent of the bill is not to allow big game calibers or rifles for hunting. Its sole purpose was to:

1. Allow for supervised youth handgun hunting in alignment with 2017 legislation on supervised youth handgun shooting, and

2. Streamline and clarify the definition of allowable ammunition to be used in the deer hunt

3. Require the Natural Resources Council to use established federal definitions of firearms when writing NRC rules

We are proud to have gotten this over the finish line for our members.

If you have any other questions concerning this bill, feel free to reach out to IFC at info@iowafc.org

As always, if you haven’t, we would love for you to join the cause at Https://membership.iowafc.org and be a part of the organization where you can help shape and drive future initiatives and be a part of the dialog and debate regarding protecting our natural resources, ensure future generations have the ability and desire to be with nature, and protecting our 2A virtues!

Link to the unofficial recorded vote PDF: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislat...ction=result&calendarItemID=6671&useFile=true

This should be used with some caution. It doesn't become the official vote until the Journal is approved in the morning, plus there is a chance a Senator will do an "explanation of vote" where their vote isn't changed but they say "if, but, because" so they can go on record as having made an error. It's a little more complicated than that but nutshell close enough.

This bill was submitted on behalf of Iowan’s, at the request of Iowan’s, and for the benefit of Iowan’s.

This bill was drafted by the local non-profit, the Iowa Firearms Coalition, at the request of and on behalf of our members (Iowa Residents). The Iowa Firearms coalition staff (all Iowa residents and volunteers) worked hard over the last couple years to pass this bill and were the lobbyist behind the effort.

The intent of the bill is not to allow big game calibers or rifles for hunting. Its sole purpose was to:

1. Allow for supervised youth handgun hunting in alignment with 2017 legislation on supervised youth handgun shooting, and

2. Streamline and clarify the definition of allowable ammunition to be used in the deer hunt

3. Require the Natural Resources Council to use established federal definitions of firearms when writing NRC rules

We are proud to have gotten this over the finish line for our members.

If you have any other questions concerning this bill, feel free to reach out to IFC at info@iowafc.org

As always, if you haven’t, we would love for you to join the cause at Https://membership.iowafc.org and be a part of the organization where you can help shape and drive future initiatives and be a part of the dialog and debate regarding protecting our natural resources, ensure future generations have the ability and desire to be with nature, and protecting our 2A virtues!

I hear what you are saying but you need to hear us when we say we have seen the unintended consequences of misguided legislation in the past. The political capital your groups burnt up on this one is huge. Instead of using your funds and efforts on real 2A issues your groups chose to fight for this one. Oh well. I hope your efforts don't bite us all in the ass in the future.

Top Bottom