Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Necked cartidge bill returns HF 716

The way i read the bill - a rifle using the same ammo legal for pistols will be legal for youth, disabled and first and second shotgun seasons.

Yes...who ever wrote this Bill either screwed up on the wording...or did it intentionally, to allow rifles and rifle cartridges .350 to .500 to be used for youth season, and first and second shotgun season

The description on the cartridges is not clearly defined like it was on the Bill last year

trying to follow this for a long time, even made couple of post bout keep on fighting for the great state of Iowa.
I can smell a rat that is getting very stinking.
Weasels are very clever about getting into the hen house.
If what I read on these recent post are accurate and correct Iowa will probably go down hill pretty fast ☹️.
I have hunted in Michigan my whole life and have had the great opportunity to hunt in Iowa the last dozen years.
There is absolutely no comparison between the two states.

This bill was submitted on behalf of Iowan’s, at the request of Iowan’s, and for the benefit of Iowan’s.

This bill was drafted by the local non-profit, the Iowa Firearms Coalition, at the request of and on behalf of our members (Iowa Residents). The Iowa Firearms coalition staff (all Iowa residents and volunteers) worked hard over the last couple years to pass this bill and were the lobbyist behind the effort.

The intent of the bill is not to allow big game calibers or rifles for hunting. Its sole purpose was to:

1. Allow for supervised youth handgun hunting in alignment with 2017 legislation on supervised youth handgun shooting, and

2. Streamline and clarify the definition of allowable ammunition to be used in the deer hunt

3. Require the Natural Resources Council to use established federal definitions of firearms when writing NRC rules

We are proud to have gotten this over the finish line for our members.

If you have any other questions concerning this bill, feel free to reach out to IFC at info@iowafc.org

As always, if you haven’t, we would love for you to join the cause at Https://membership.iowafc.org and be a part of the organization where you can help shape and drive future initiatives and be a part of the dialog and debate regarding protecting our natural resources, ensure future generations have the ability and desire to be with nature, and protecting our 2A virtues!

2A virtues? Good grief.....

Copy and paste from your web page. You don't give a rip about conservation. Your goal here is to do everything you can to "normalize" AR style, "Modern sporting rifle" or "scary black gun" style guns. It's not enough for you to own them and shoot them at the range you want to kill with them.

About IFC

Founded in 2010, the Iowa Firearms Coalition is a non-partisan, single issue, civil rights organization dedicated to protecting and enhancing the Second Amendment rights of all Iowans.

...and in the second paragraph of the Bill starting on Line #6...

the straight wall portion is crossed off...

Line #9a... A cartridge rifle may be used to hunt deer during youth and disabled deer hunting season and the first and second shotgun deer hunting seasons by a person who has a valid deer hunting license and is otherwise qualified to hunt

There is no mention of a pistol being the ONLY weapon allowed in the second paragraph... they either screwed up on the wording, or they did it intentionally

IFC is out of bounds on this. Plain and simple.

That's coming from somone who is in the middle of building 2 more guns to add to dozens of others, including an AR for coyote hunting.

2A my ass.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Copy and paste from the official journal of the Senate:

House File 716

On motion of Senator Cournoyer, House File 716, a bill for an act relating to firearms requirements for hunting deer, with report of committee recommending passage, was taken up for consideration.

Senator Boulton offered amendment S–5122, filed by him from the floor to page 2 of the bill, and moved its adoption.

A record roll call was requested.

On the question “Shall amendment S–5122 be adopted?” (H.F. 716), the vote was:

Yeas, 18:

Bisignano Bolkcom Boulton Celsi Dotzler Giddens Hogg Jochum Kinney Lykam Mathis Petersen Quirmbach Ragan Smith, J. Taylor, R. Taylor, T. Wahls

Nays, 32:

Behn Breitbach Brown Carlin Chapman Costello Cournoyer Dawson Edler Feenstra Garrett Greene Guth Johnson Kapucian Koelker Kraayenbrink Lofgren Miller-Meeks Nunn Rozenboom Schneider Schultz Segebart Shipley Sinclair Smith, R. Sweeney Whiting Whitver Zaun Zumbach

Absent, none.

Amendment S–5122 lost.

Senator Cournoyer moved that the bill be read the last time now and placed upon its passage, which motion prevailed by a voice vote, and the bill was read the last time.

On the question “Shall the bill pass?” (H.F. 716), the vote was:

Yeas, 37:

Behn Bisignano Boulton Breitbach Brown Carlin Chapman Costello Cournoyer Dawson Dotzler Edler Feenstra Garrett Greene Guth Johnson Kapucian Kinney Koelker Kraayenbrink Lofgren Lykam Miller-Meeks Nunn Schultz Segebart Shipley Sinclair Smith, R. Sweeney Taylor, R. Taylor, T. Whiting Whitver Zaun Zumbach

Nays, 13:

Bolkcom Celsi Giddens Hogg Jochum Mathis Petersen Quirmbach Ragan Rozenboom Schneider Smith, J. Wahls

Absent, none.

The bill, having received a constitutional majority, was declared to have passed the Senate and the title was agreed to.

Someone asked for a link to the actual bill that passed. The bill they linked was the correct one but here is the link again:

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ga=$selectedGa.generalAssemblyID&ba=hf716

The bill is red to show that there is no further actions allowed by the legislative branch at this time. The bill will now go to the Governor for her signature. Feel free to email her and ask that she not sign the bill. Link to her site: https://governor.iowa.gov/contact

It sounds bad enough that the bill passed but then you’ve got a guy coming on here to do a victory lap in all of your faces!

At the end of the day doesn’t the governor have to sign this bill into law? If I were in Iowa resident and I were unhappy about this bill I would be raising hell with the governors office to get a veto!! Based on the current votes it doesn’t look like they have enough votes to override a veto by the governor!!!

I encourage everyone to go back in time and read Nathan Gibsons comments about this bill on this very forum only a year a few months ago.

https://www.iowawhitetail.com/forum/threads/hf716-necked-cartridge-update.58596/page-3

Here are a few quotes from him showing true colors and intent as well as lack of knowledge on deer hunting and conservation

"You are delusional if you think Iowa has the monopoly on big dear and is the best. Missouri, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, all are comparable to Iowa."

Nathan Gibson, would you support further expansion of rifle hunting beyond this bill (additional legal loads/calibers)?
"Yes, yes I would. But we unfortunently don't have enough support for that. We have to wait for a few more generations for the old Bow Hunter generation to stop hunting/complaining, and then there will be enough support. That group, is single handily killing the sport in Iowa. Because of their desire to "not loose the big bucks to highpowers", less and less hunters are entering the field, which turns to less tags, and less licenses, which is having and huge impact on the DNR financing to take care of our natural resources.

"Legalize high-power and I guarantee you would see almost a 30-50% increase in tags/license the next year. OR, scratch hi-powers....lets just go back to shotguns and get rid of straight walls, and move the shotgun season to the beginning of the rut at the same time as bow season??? You guys okay with that? It gets rid of straightwalls and you are happy right????"

"I also am very well educated, and don't want to debate knowledge levels here. At its core, this thread is about one thing and one thing only. A bunch of BOW hunters scared they are going to loose their monopoly on big bucks in Iowa. Makes me sick because its at the expense of other sportsmen in Iowa. We are supposed to be on the same team. Makes me sick to my stomach seeing you all fighting this."

"Anyways, Im sorry to be a troll on yall's forum. Ill duck out now and never come back."

As soon as the tough questions are asked "he gone". Just like not responding to my emails. I guess the governor is our last hope - but not likely an R governor will fail to sign a "2A" bill. But, we can try.

This bill was submitted on behalf of Iowan’s, at the request of Iowan’s, and for the benefit of Iowan’s.

This bill was drafted by the local non-profit, the Iowa Firearms Coalition, at the request of and on behalf of our members (Iowa Residents). The Iowa Firearms coalition staff (all Iowa residents and volunteers) worked hard over the last couple years to pass this bill and were the lobbyist behind the effort.

The intent of the bill is not to allow big game calibers or rifles for hunting. Its sole purpose was to:

1. Allow for supervised youth handgun hunting in alignment with 2017 legislation on supervised youth handgun shooting, and

2. Streamline and clarify the definition of allowable ammunition to be used in the deer hunt

3. Require the Natural Resources Council to use established federal definitions of firearms when writing NRC rules

We are proud to have gotten this over the finish line for our members.

If you have any other questions concerning this bill, feel free to reach out to IFC at info@iowafc.org

As always, if you haven’t, we would love for you to join the cause at Https://membership.iowafc.org and be a part of the organization where you can help shape and drive future initiatives and be a part of the dialog and debate regarding protecting our natural resources, ensure future generations have the ability and desire to be with nature, and protecting our 2A virtues!
IFC & yourself should be ashamed for yourselves. I’m intensely pro 2a and this legislation has NOTHING to do with 2a!!!!! Nothing!!!
Iowa is not MO, MN, IL. It’s not “comparable”. Not even close. Our CONSERVEative approach to wildlife management had given amazing opportunity to all hunters. 4 months of season, 6 Deer seasons and 5-7 weapon choices. Iowa’s “big buck status” was for ALL to enjoy- a balanced deer herd of all age classes. NO- missouri doesn’t have what we do. Nor does MN. Gun & ML hunters loved our management.
shame on you guys. All to prop up sagging gun sales!!!
Iowa has had ONE major problem.... access to land.... 6% Forested acres in iowa makes our state fragile & not much habitat vs other states. YOU, the IFC, lobbyists and politicians just decreased the amount of access to private land by an immense amount that only hunters will understand over the next few years. Private land owners will continue to lock up more land, insulate & stop access due to to foolish laws like this and the “little guy” will get to hunt the tiny bit of blown apart public our state offers. Now with high power catridges zipping though the air. Public was tough before. Now- oh my. Private - restricted before - you all just cost folks a whole lot of places & opportunities. Again, for a state with 4 months, 5-7 weapons & 6 seasons already.... access will be the “funnel of opportunity” & the access & opportunity will get destroyed or further restricted.
Hey kids, everyday working man & “Hunt by permission folks”.... WHEN your access erodes & you have no place to go... thank these guys & IFC for this!!! .....
for greed, $, SHORT TERM GAIN in gun sales.... PLUS a sales pitch loaded with ignorance, arrogance & disregard. Sick. Shame on you all. I’m out too. Out to my own land where I have to live in this world. I don’t duck out like u to a fatter paycheck, no disregard for Iowa’s conservation/hunting & a life that clearly isn’t invested in our outdoors. We the people have to live with this BS while u smirk & got “mission accomplished” on pimping the state out.

The way I hunt and where I hunt a rifle would not make a bit of difference. It may not be as impactful as you think. Heck, my neighbor farmers and the Amish have been shooting them for years.

Only in a pistol configuration, which, would be interesting to see at best.

Do you have thoughts on how prevalent pistol configurations in that caliber will be? Curious if y'all see a mad rush for that firearm option now that its legal.
Youve never seen an AR pistol ? Tons of people are already using 450 Bushmaster AR "Pistols" for Late muzzeloader season because technically its a pistol. Nothing like hunting with an AR 15 in late muzzy. There isnt that much difference in velocity vs a 14 in barrel and 18 inch barrel.

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/bc...e-length-gas-system-1-24-twist-w-10-mlok-rail Legal in late muzzy

The way i read the bill - a rifle using the same ammo legal for pistols will be legal for youth, disabled and first and second shotgun seasons.

Here is the link to the bill:

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ga=88&ba=hf716

In it you will see

b. A cartridge rifle that is allowed pursuant to this subsection shall be of the same caliber and use the same straight wall or other ammunition as is allowed for use in a pistol or revolver for hunting deer as provided in subsection 5. In addition, the commission shall provide, by rule, for the use of straight wall or other ammunition under this subsection that meets ballistics specifications similar to the requirements for straight wall or other ammunition allowed for use in a pistol or revolver for hunting deer as provided in subsection 5.

The second sentence is the critical one:

"In addition, the commission shall provide, by rule, for the use of straight wall or other ammunition under this subsection that meets ballistics specifications similar to the requirements for straight wall or other ammunition allowed for use in a pistol or revolver for hunting deer as provided in subsection 5."

This enables/requires the NRC to establish a rule that limits the cartridges used in rifles to those that have "ballistic specifications similar" to those allowed to be used in pistols and revolvers in the preceding section (5) of the law.

So the STATUTE (law) REQUIRES the NRC to make a rule that LIMITS the ammunition that may be used in the rifles that will be "allowed" under Section 6 (those of the same caliber and using the same ammunition as allowed for pistols and revolvers in Section 5) to the same "ballistic specifications" (think "ballistic performance") as the ammunition used in those handguns.

You are NOT going to be allowed to hunt with the "high caliber ammo" even if you can find a handgun to shoot its cartridge. The cartridge fired from a rifle does NOT have "similar ballistics" as when fired from a handgun.

Hopefully this helps provide some clarification for you.

As soon as the tough questions are asked "he gone". Just like not responding to my emails. I guess the governor is our last hope - but not likely an R governor will fail to sign a "2A" bill. But, we can try.
I responded. Sorry for the delay, I was working today.

Top Bottom