Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SSB 3202 resident land owner tags

Fishbonker

Life Member
SSB 3202 is a budget/appropriations study bill. Page 78 contains a section on resident land owners tags. The bill would make the landowners tags floating or good for any season with the method of take for the season in progress. Sound familiar? There was a bill introduced last year, SF50, and then it became SF 198. The last action on SF198 was on 1/28/2020 when a sub committee of the Senate Natural Resources and Environment Committee recommended indefinite postponement.

Link to the current bill: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ga=88&ba=ssb3202

This is a budget/appropriations bill so it will go through the Ways and Means Committee.

Sub committee assigned:

Jake Chapman, Senate District 10 (Adair and Guthrie counties, most of Dallas and small part of Cass counties) Email address: jake.chapman@legis.iowa.gov Legislative website: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=10728

Senator Pam Jochum, Senate District 50 (Dubuque and parts of Dubuque Co.) Email address: pam.jochum@legis.iowa.gov Legislative website: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=35

Senator Roby Smith, Senate District 47 (parts of Davenport, Bettendorf and Scott Co.) Email Address: roby.smith@legis.iowa.gov Legislative website: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=9386

Sub committee meeting tomorrow 6/11 at 12pm. The meeting may be on the legislature's You Tube web site or you can send in objections (or support) through emails.

This bill started off in 2019 as SF50 and was introduced by Senator Chapman. It worked its way through the system, got bottled up by the Natural Resource and Environment Committee and now Senator Chapman ends up as the Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee tasked with its ultimate outcome. Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out whats going on here.

There is a thread somewhere below this one on SF198.

The change for turkey is good. The current landowner tag isn't much of an advantage except cost. Not needed for deer as it is already an extra tag - unlike turkey.

Any update?

This bill is flying through the Senate. It was introduced on the 10th, subcommittee approved the bill on the 11th, full Ways and Means Committee passed on the 12th, the bill was given a new number, SF2419 and was placed on the daily debate calendar maybe for Monday.

This is the bill that will take more funds from the DNR both from license sales and Pitman Robertson funds. The Senator that proposed the bill last year has a strong track record of punitive DNR bills. He has even gone on record on the floor of the Senate saying several DNR officials, he called them by name, should be fired.

A non deer hunter who is familiar with conservation issues read the bill and had some thoughts, the bill doesn't specifically say RESIDNET land owner. This has been the law for resident landowners for as long as I can remember so just on past practices I don't believe this is a ploy to get NR landowners tags but I can see where this thought process is coming from. One only needs to look at the gun bill touted as a conservation bill(HF716) that just passed and the lack of specifics in that bill.

Again, I'm not trying to stir the resident/nonresident landowner pot but who knows. I think it's a stretch but fool me once...… Perhaps you could say I'm a little "gun" shy.

This bill is on the fast track in the Senate. Once again, send those emails to your Senator, ask them to remove section XXVI dealing with landowner deer tags from SF2419.

There is a companion bill that has been passed by the House. A "companion bill" or "similar bill" is a bill that is designed to do the same basic thing that it's companion or similar bill is supposed to. HF 2641 is a companion bill to SF2419. No where in the House version is there mention of landowner tags. We have gotten a few questions from Representatives about SF2419. Usually one chamber or the other accepts the other chamber's bill. It would also be a good idea to contact your representative and ask them not to accept Division XXVI of SF2419.

Clear as mud?

Never mind about the emails on this bill. The legislature adjoined today. I've looked over the bill that was passed and I don't see the language from section 16 in the bill the House ultimately passed. I'll look again in the AM but for now I don't think the laws/rules for resident LO tags has changed.

It was indeed a strange session.

Top Bottom