Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tractor Shopping

Elusive78

So a couple weeks ago my Dad finally decided to give me the hunting land 52 acres. So in the market for a tractor. So looking in the 40 Horsepower range. So maybe somebody out there can point me in the right direction on what brands & models I should be looking at.

I have an LS 4041, which is a 40hp, and I am happy with it. I don't have enough experience with other makes/models to make much of a comparison to others for you, but I would buy this brand again.

I can't comment on what you might consider because you don't state what you'll be using it for, however, I've owned 3038e, 4520, and 5205 John Deere tractors, a couple older ford tractors and would strongly steer you away from the John Deere 3038e Very incapable tractors imo, the 3720, 4105 were tractors I'd have considered before I bought my current 4520. The Ford's were gas but I prefer diesels, again depends on use, budget, familiarity with tractors, if you want hydro or gear, loader, etc, etc..

Feel free to send me a message and I can help ya out. I sell Deere. But can answer any other questions you have on tractors.

I can't comment on what you might consider because you don't state what you'll be using it for, however, I've owned 3038e, 4520, and 5205 John Deere tractors, a couple older ford tractors and would strongly steer you away from the John Deere 3038e Very incapable tractors imo, the 3720, 4105 were tractors I'd have considered before I bought my current 4520. The Ford's were gas but I prefer diesels, again depends on use, budget, familiarity with tractors, if you want hydro or gear, loader, etc, etc..[/QUOTE It will mostly be used for doing work in the woods & foods plots.

To be useful it may help to explain what you will use tractor to do and your expectations.
Primary uses maybe mowing trails and a small food plot or it maybe on the other extreme of wanting to pull 8 row planter and a 15 ft no till drill. Much of it depends on implements you have or intend to use.

I'd go pre- emissions and in 40 HP range I'd go hydrostat. 40 HP dealing with a lot of small stuff and hydro is way faster. Get into some of the bigger tractors and I'd feel different.

I went pre-emissions for reason and from advice on here. Isn't pre-emissions (Final Step Tier 4) generally speaking, 2013 and older?

My buddy has a 2018 JD 4052M and kids his regen's take from 30 minutes to 3 days....pita he says. My 3038e took about 2 hours, but I just worked for the most part during the regen.

Here were my requirements/wants when tractor shopping based on my needs: brush hogging, food plots (disk, tiller, planter), dirt work (grading, move dirt piles), lifting tower blinds. trying to keep weight under 5400lb for trailering to multiple farms -this was a want, not need - I could drive it if it was big enough.

40-80hp
mfwd preferred
r4's preferred, R1's 2nd choice
open station
hydrostat
loader, removeable a plus depending on base tractor weight
1 remote a plus
diesel
pre-emissions a plus
removeable loader a plus
John deere, kubota based on dealers near me

Agree on pre emissions. IMO- I’d want one without regen or DPF or DEF. all drive me insane- cause more issues I’ve fought with non stop & u gotta pay more for all that junk that IMO shortens tractor life. I have em in some tractors but I’d avoid if u can.
Side note- With loader & lifting - get ur ballist weight right. Spooky if not & can seriously hurt a guy if not balanced out & weighted right.
MFWD is huge if u can afford it. Plenty guys get along without it but I’d be screwed most days without it. Helps in so many ways it’s bananas. If I was getting 1st basic tractor for low cost- then 2wd be the plan. But dang - that mfwd is huge game changer. & getting tractors unstuck sucks!!!
post up whatever u get!! ANY tractor is gonna be a great day for u - good luck!!!

Good luck with your search and decision. I think a lot of your decision will rest on how much work you ultimately will ask the tractor to do. My farm only has so much area to develop into food plots (a max of 4-5 acres or less) so in my case I did not need a $25,000+ new tractor.
I stumbled into an older Ford 4000 last summer that came with a loader and bush hog mower. The tractor is probably as old as I am (that is not a compliment). I have a pretty reasonable investment into the tractor, loader, bush hog and new disc - about 1/2 of what a new high CC UTV would cost me. This tractor is rated in the HP range you stated but I doubt it still pulls that hard after 50+ yrs of work. The Fords are pretty common and parts seem reasonably accessible/affordable. However, it's definitely a trade-off type of decision like most equipment topics as sometimes it is a love-hate relationship between me and this ol dog.
4deabf1830d6358b971304bdc104fc82.jpg

Last edited:
Mowed about 3/4 acre of clover last night with the same jd400 I use on my yard. It mows shorter than I like my clover but I know we've got rain coming tonight so it'll bounce right back. 60 inch deck with a 25hp Kohler and she chewed it up. I used the same setup with a 6ft disc to make this plot.
539dcd8779d36ab4d6f39ea1fb2bb08a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^^^^. Yep. I started with weed whipper back pack sprayer. I almost bought one of those super old lil Ford tractors. Way older than above. Small amount of acres- save some $ & buy old & basic.

Top Bottom