Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

When to mow clover plot

food plot.jpeg

I would mow at minimum 1time a month personally. Looking at the photo I say yes, yellowing over mature clover plants and weeds near the point of going to seed. Cutting clover will stimulate growth and keep the weeds at bay. I put in a couple test plots and I mow them every 10 days, the difference in the amount of clover in those plots has been amazing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I would mow at minimum 1time a month personally. Looking at the photo I say yes, yellowing over mature clover plants and weeds near the point of going to seed. Cutting clover will stimulate growth and keep the weeds at bay. I put in a couple test plots and I mow them every 10 days, the difference in the amount of clover in those plots has been amazing.

Nailed it right there. It seems like a week or 2 after I mow the clover looks amazing!

Thanks for the reply. I was planning to mow if weedy but there aren’t any weeds present. Only what was in the mix. I’ll cut it high and see how it works.

I've been mowing mine monthly. Just mowed yesterday, but only because we had more rain in the forcast. If hot/dry, I'm leaving mine alone. Mowing has really been helping with broadleaf weeds.

I'd mow it in strips...half. Your clover in the mowed area will thrive and the other parts of your mix will do it's thing in the area that is not mowed.

Perennial rye is a pain in the butt! This is why most mixes suck! Why put a grass and Dwarf Essex rape in a “clover” mix?

I quit uses " mixes" years ago.
Too many $ n time wasted.!
To the OP, yes, I would mow that clover " high" one more time but definitely spray for the ryegrass.
I've made EVERY mistake there is over 20 years of foodploting !

One thing I question on many responses here is you guys that are mowing monthly, your mowing even in the hot dry times?
So heres how I take care of all my clover. Spray cleth and butyrac early on...say late april thru may time frame but only one spraying. Then mow it at flowering stage until the dog days of summer start....then nothing...dont touch them...I may have a few and i mean very few weeds pop up during the summer months, but then mow it one last time around the beginning of Sept...Clovers looks like it should be on a brochure!
I jsut dont agree with mowing when its super hot and dry, too much stress...IMO!

Also, to the OP spray some cleth and get rid of the ryegrass...stuff is no joke and you will hate life next spring!!!!!!!

One thing I question on many responses here is you guys that are mowing monthly, your mowing even in the hot dry times?
So heres how I take care of all my clover. Spray cleth and butyrac early on...say late april thru may time frame but only one spraying. Then mow it at flowering stage until the dog days of summer start....then nothing...dont touch them...I may have a few and i mean very few weeds pop up during the summer months, but then mow it one last time around the beginning of Sept...Clovers looks like it should be on a brochure!
I jsut dont agree with mowing when its super hot and dry, too much stress...IMO!

Also, to the OP spray some cleth and get rid of the ryegrass...stuff is no joke and you will hate life next spring!!!!!!!
Browse pressure has to be taken into account. Clover loses palatability and becomes old and undesirable if left alone for long periods. It will re grow from the root regardless but it will thrive when cut. I personally not spray much and cut it regularly. Each location has it's own quirks, I am not a big fan of clover personally and dont plant it unless asked too. It's high maintenance like alfalfa

I actually planted my clover on an experimental basis to see if it could replace having to put urea on before seeding brassicas. Clover grew great and has since been killed off and seeded to brassicas. Will see how it turns out

When you guys are killing off the clover to use as nitrogen, are you spraying it and tilling or disking under or just tilling or disking? What's the process?

I sprayed it and disked it in and then seeded my brassicas onto the soil. My understanding is that clover is a legume and “fixes” nitrogen into the soil. Should know in the next week or so how’s I did.

Top Bottom