Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Spraying Rate for Round up and 2-4d

Rutty

Going to spray a 1 acre field tomorrow and hope to plant turnips by august 1. What does everybody recommend for spraying rate? I have a 25 gallon atv sprayer that I will be using. I am planning on hitting the 1 acre going north and south and then will come back through and hit it east and west so that I don't miss anything. How many gallons of water should i put in the sprayer? I bought glyphosate 41% how many ounces should I put in of that? I also bought Ester 2-4D LV 4. How much of that do I put in the sprayer? I never seem to get the best kill so want to kick it up a notch. Also, by putting on 2-4 D how long do I need to wait before I can plant Brassicas? Thanks for input guys.

Going to spray a 1 acre field tomorrow and hope to plant turnips by august 1. What does everybody recommend for spraying rate? I have a 25 gallon atv sprayer that I will be using. I am planning on hitting the 1 acre going north and south and then will come back through and hit it east and west so that I don't miss anything. How many gallons of water should i put in the sprayer? I bought glyphosate 41% how many ounces should I put in of that? I also bought Ester 2-4D LV 4. How much of that do I put in the sprayer? I never seem to get the best kill so want to kick it up a notch. Also, by putting on 2-4 D how long do I need to wait before I can plant Brassicas? Thanks for input guys.
I use 2% on gly personally. If use use hard water to spray consider adding AMS if you dont already. 25gal sprayer should cover an acre. I personally havent sprayed 24d in my mix but may start. 24d should hold off at least 7 days I would say.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2,4-d Ester only. Low vol 4... one pint, at least a week. Maybe touch more as brassicas are shallow planting. 2,4-d is helpful tool when/where needed. Echo AMS!!! I wouldn’t go without. Or a water conditioning agent, etc.
41% Gly, with ams & 2,4-d..... depends on weed height- id absolutely go heavy on Gly. Not really a “too heavy” or “too dead” situation with Gly. It’s gone in hours & only issue with spraying too much is wasting a few dollars per acre. If it were MINE & I was spraying 1 acre with other stuff - small weeds- I’d still run 2 quarts (more than needed, totally admit it). If bigger weeds & cool season grasses... this is ME but for only one acre- I’d run a gallon of Gly. That’s me. Some would say major overkill but some stuff is hard to kill & bounces back. For 1 acre, a few extra dollars in Gly is very smart IMO. 2,4-d & ams are gonna smoke that stuff!!

2,4-d Ester only. Low vol 4... one pint, at least a week. Maybe touch more as brassicas are shallow planting. 2,4-d is helpful tool when/where needed. Echo AMS!!! I wouldn’t go without. Or a water conditioning agent, etc.
41% Gly, with ams & 2,4-d..... depends on weed height- id absolutely go heavy on Gly. Not really a “too heavy” or “too dead” situation with Gly. It’s gone in hours & only issue with spraying too much is wasting a few dollars per acre. If it were MINE & I was spraying 1 acre with other stuff - small weeds- I’d still run 2 quarts (more than needed, totally admit it). If bigger weeds & cool season grasses... this is ME but for only one acre- I’d run a gallon of Gly. That’s me. Some would say major overkill but some stuff is hard to kill & bounces back. For 1 acre, a few extra dollars in Gly is very smart IMO. 2,4-d & ams are gonna smoke that stuff!!
Do you find this "hot" a mix will do a better job on grasses? Or do you see more effectiveness on problem broadleaf ?

So if I use a pint of 2 4-d and a gallon of gly how much water should I put in my 25 gallon sprayer? And should I hit the plot in all different directions until the tank is empty?

Both. 2,4-d is clearly a broadleaf herbicide. But combined with Gly & ams- it’s a bomb on grass. I can’t explain it but just adds major punch- even to grass.
My non-scientific experience over the years... established cool seasons are hard to kill at certain stages. Gly alone has a lot bounce back. Adding both ams + 2,4-d really does a number on cool seasons. On broadleaves - same thing- Gly leaves too many alive. Especially if taller. 2,4-d is the tool needed. It’s just wicked. Gly has a lot of resistance now days so when use it- use all the tools u can to get a total kill. There’s a synergy with that mix that just smokes stuff.
Ur 25 gallon should likely do an acre. See if make it cover 1 acre as accurately as possible. Or - If u worried, cut rates in half and run it twice so 50 gallons gets put on. Again- not how u would do a gazillion acres but on one acre- to use increased water volume & run it twice - no big deal.

So if I use a pint of 2 4-d and a gallon of gly how much water should I put in my 25 gallon sprayer? And should I hit the plot in all different directions until the tank is empty?

The goal is to evening distribute the herbicide, to do so you need to know how many gallons of water your sprayer will spray given the time it takes you to cover the area. If unknown do a dry run with only water to get the answer. I usually burn any leftovers hitting the worst areas again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use 2% on gly personally. If use use hard water to spray consider adding AMS if you dont already. 25gal sprayer should cover an acre. I personally havent sprayed 24d in my mix but may start. 24d should hold off at least 7 days I would say.

What is AMS?

What is AMS?
ammonium sulfate is an adjuvant. A water conditioner. It prevents the cations in hard water from binding to glyphosate, which reduces its effectiveness. It improves control of certain weeds, such as velvetleaf and some perennials.

ammonium sulfate is an adjuvant. A water conditioner. It prevents the cations in hard water from binding to glyphosate, which reduces its effectiveness. It improves control of certain weeds, such as velvetleaf and some perennials.

Interesting. Thank you very much for that info.
How would one know whether or not their water hardness is such that ams would be helpful/recommended?

Here’s what im rollin with this year. New farm closes 8/10 and need to get seed on the ground by 9/1 is my goal (in NCMO). This is a hot mix but first year burndown on Fescue/crp, no 24d so i dont have residual effect. After death ill burn thatch and no till. Prayers appreciated.
Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. Thank you very much for that info.
How would one know whether or not their water hardness is such that ams would be helpful/recommended?
Soft water with alot of salt can cause similar issues. Salts, magnesium, and calcium from limestone rich areas are said to be higher issue. Theory is soft water isnt the final answer but AMS seems to be, but its added cost.

Liberty if I read it right stays in the soil(residual) and I would not want to plant brassicas anytime soon after using Liberty.

Liberty if I read it right stays in the soil(residual) and I would not want to plant brassicas anytime soon after using Liberty.

Im thinking you may have read it wrong. Liberty is a post emergent with a STOP application, the P in stop stands for “Pair with residuals”.

Im thinking you may have read it wrong. Liberty is a post emergent with a STOP application, the P in stop stands for “Pair with residuals”.

There is something in Liberty that is going to affect brassicas. I totally forgot about it myself when I sprayed last week. I should be OK because I have time before I plant.

You might bump your gly to 4 quarts an acre (smoking hot) with the AMS & skip the liberty.

There is something in Liberty that is going to affect brassicas. I totally forgot about it myself when I sprayed last week. I should be OK because I have time before I plant.

You might bump your gly to 4 quarts an acre (smoking hot) with the AMS & skip the liberty.

First ive ever heard of such a thing, and never had issues before. I plan to wait a week and burn thatch so I should be in the clear. My buddy (Patrick) is planting 50ish acres of fall plots so surely he is not screwing that up, not to mention he is agronomist.

Soft water with alot of salt can cause similar issues. Salts, magnesium, and calcium from limestone rich areas are said to be higher issue. Theory is soft water isnt the final answer but AMS seems to be, but its added cost.

Gotcha. I’ve had no experience and definitely no knowledge of the product or it’s application so thanks again for the education!

Top Bottom