Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Alfalfa, or Perrenial to plant in the Fall?

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and I respect that. But... I'm just trying to establish an acre patch of alfalfa, in Central Iowa, where anything/everything grows. It isn't rocket science. I planted cheap seed before, in the spring, and may have covered it a bit too deep, so it failed. At this point, I'd really just like educated opinions on the best alfalfa seed species for my region and possibly where to buy them. Again, I'm not a fanatic about food plots and won't go all in even if I wait a year or two. It's not my passion. My neighbor got a chuckle out of all of this. He says he just throws alfalfa seed down and lightly tills it in. Doesn't kill anything that's already there, as long as it's not real weedy to begin with. He couldn't recall the species of seed he went with the last time he seeded though.
My seed buddy highly recommended a leaf hopper resistant variety. Those, however, don't really fall into the cheap category.

I'm adding alfalfa patches every year it seems especially in staging areas, the deer in my area use it everyday. I think alfalfa is low maintenance once you get it established. I also had zero problems brushing hogging 1.5ft of prime alf, thinking it would be smothered but 2 weeks later it's coming on strong again. In the spring spread 200lbs/A 0-24-24, I mow leaving 6-8" 3 times per year. First one around mid May and last one around Sept 1st
I won't plant any more unless its RR, I did fight weeds on years 4-5 but i want to be able to spray it while spraying my other crops too. I'm going with Ameristand 480HVXRR they claim the ability to delay harvest and still maintain low lignin

https://www.americasalfalfa.com/

We just finished this 1/3 acre plot this weekend hoping to pull from the neighbor in daylight hours. Incorporate your fertilizer, pack, seed, pack many seeds are still visible. Like any other crop pray for a good soaker.

North Alfalfa.jpg
Ezra MF165-1.jpg
Alfalfa.jpg
North Alfalfa 1.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, I mowed the grass short and disced really well. Threw down 25# of alfalfa seed and lightly disced again. Haven't had a ton of rain since, so it may not take off, but if it doesn't, I'll just disc again in the spring and plant some beans or something. Or, I'll just let it go for a year or two and see what it produces all on its own. If the grass grows in as thick as it was again, I could bail it to feed my couple of alpacas next winter. Thanks for all the input.

Well, I sure am glad I didn't dump a bunch of work, time and money into my alfalfa plot. Absence of rain would have made it all a complete waste, just as it did what little I did put into it. Looks like beans next spring.

So, the lack of rain following my alfalfa planting made it a bust, but... I mowed the grass seed heads off for the last time 2 weeks ago and my entire acre plot is full of thick green clover. I know clover was part of the early season mix I threw down, but it never came in thick over the summer. It's coming on strong now though. Either it's not a rapid growing plant, or the deer are keeping it pretty well grazed. I found a couple of cow pies in it this AM too, so the dang neighbors cattle have made it onto my place again. Ugh! That's always fun. Anyway, I'll take clover over nothing I guess. I had 3 dinks creep under my stand this AM and meander around for about an hour. My 1st bow hunt of the season and it felt good to be out. Hopefully the deer find my clover tasty and decide to visit more frequently and even bed nearby.

Top Bottom