Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
What is the seeding rate everyone is using when frost seeding into turnips? I assume go half that if frost seeding into rye, oats, peas and clover from last fall? I know it might be overkill frost seeding into the rye, oats, peas and clover from last fall but I like a little insurance.
5-6#

Has anyone ever had any luck frost seeding into a mowed pasture before? It basically looks like an established lawn mowed pretty short.

Has anyone ever had any luck frost seeding into a mowed pasture before? It basically looks like an established lawn mowed pretty short.

I don't think I have tried that...but the concern would be getting the tiny clover seeds to the soil surface. With any type of sod/grass/lawn, etc, I would think that a lot of seed would lodge in the grass, even if it is short, and NOT be able to germinate then because it doesn't have soil contact.

Could you spread your seed and then "thatch" the short, mowed grass? I would think that would shake a lot more seed loose to then hit the soil.

I figured it would be a long shot to get a decent germination rate, I thought about even wasting some money and using 2acres of seed on a half acre. I might give it a shot and see what kind of results I get so I know for the future.

I figured it would be a long shot to get a decent germination rate, I thought about even wasting some money and using 2acres of seed on a half acre. I might give it a shot and see what kind of results I get so I know for the future.

I think if you do something to shake that seed down to the soil surface you could be OK. Thatch it, drag it, etc, and I think you up your germination %.

A couple springs ago I wanted to get a plot established. I was dealing with CRP. I went in and mowed it literally as short as I could. Cleaned all the clippings and then spring my seed, fert and lime. Complete failure. If i was to do it all over again I would at least work the ground a little bit and get some of the soil exposed. Or id wait and till it under and start with fresh dirt and worry about the weeds later.....Or wait until the fall and plant clover with the rye(this is what i ended up doing) and establish your plot that way
good luck

I tried finding weeds in here - no luck or very little. I had ran a drill through this established clover last September that had some dbltree mix - can see that about 20 feet away or top of clover pic. Frost seeded each year, few clippings & clethodim/crop oil as needed - could have clover there forever in reality if u keep frost seeding it if needed or as cheap insurance to choke everything out after established.
For fun or lil experimenting.... I left this half acre patch in the middle of a new alfalfa field. I will be able to watch countless nights of deer feeding here & observing their choices of Alfalfa vs clover.

5419d15a2c82509b6c053ed5fa6ca930.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a2f55cb592ea4ec56aa806a67b1a9ecc.jpg

Found some discounted, year old “buck on the bag” clover seed. Broadcast into mature rye and then flattened the rye. This about a year later, very happy

This small woods plot was a patch of pines but something killed them off around 2011 leaving an opening surrounded by oaks. Its on a ridge top the soil is poor I didn't have much activity in this area and its fairly close to a road but I can access it really good. Now I'm getting daily pictures of doe working through with the majority being daytime. The main key to the success was the lime.

RdPlotClover.jpg

24d at 2qts an acre good enough to kill clover?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yep. U gonna have a good bit of delay before planting something else at 2 qts of something like ester low vol 4 or 6. That’s hot & will carry residual for while.
Clover is tough to kill!!! I hit this with 2 qts Gly, 1 pint 2,4-d & 5 oz of fierce xlt. See the line? Sprayed on right vs not sprayed on left. Bounced back. Tough!!!!
d2f3a0d53abb4a7ea9d248ac68a7e850.jpg

Reactions: arm
810cf6a9aa8e60da8f6ad1182adb1dcf.jpg

Going past Apple trees & took quick pic. Sorry it’s not the best. If u can looks close - I “accidentally” made an exclusion cage with fencing in these trees. Inside the cage..... alfalfa- purple leaves. Outside - ate down like crazy. One example on alfalfa desirability. Also- I’d say for whatever reason- they are hitting red clover fairly hard. & before anyone jumps to any conclusions (including myself) - this is ONE example & they are still pummeling the mix of whites there. Trefoil in this cage as well with yellow leaves. Cage to left was just an extra sitting there.

53B0A033-D03B-414A-B5E0-7D31D7C5068F.jpeg Anyone tell me what weed this is and how to kill it out of a clover plot? Half the plot is a really nice stand of clover, the other half is being overtaken by this nasty stuff. Just mow it you think or should I use a chemical to try and kill it but not hurt the clover?3B525A45-3DF9-496D-8922-76D9866EA43F.jpeg

Attachments

• 2A2B5D66-CF3A-4354-A0DE-32FAB1EFDAE1.jpeg
    2A2B5D66-CF3A-4354-A0DE-32FAB1EFDAE1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 242
View attachment 119768 Anyone tell me what weed this is and how to kill it out of a clover plot? Half the plot is a really nice stand of clover, the other half is being overtaken by this nasty stuff. Just mow it you think or should I use a chemical to try and kill it but not hurt the clover?View attachment 119766

I would just mow it and see how that works........but I don't see any clover under it hard to tell from a picture.

I would just mow it and see how that works........but I don't see any clover under it hard to tell from a picture.

Mowing that stuff seems to make it take off more , herbicide for sure . I tried buytrac at the highest does and it wilted it but didn’t kill it , stuff grows up apple tree cages like mad . Also tilling it will cause a mess in the tiler ..

Top Bottom