Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thinking of you guys!!!

Reading up on the Derecho that went through Iowa. Scary, my guess is a few blinds went down!

I live in the Iowa City area and the storm hit this area pretty hard, but it seems like it was even worse north of us, in the Cedar Rapids/Marion area. Major destruction here in Iowa City, especially downed trees. Many without power still and I would not be surprised if it took a while to get power back everywhere.

I was hustling to get back to the shop with a trailer full of material and I thought I still had an hour or two before the storm hit...nope...I got caught in it about 3 blocks from the shop. The super high winds came on very suddenly and were as strong as anything I have ever witnessed. For a little bit, I thought I was caught in a tornado.

If a guy was selling chain saws and generators today he would be an instant millionaire! :)

I live in Adel...its a f'n disaster! corn fields completely flat, grain bins gone, machine sheds gone, machinery wrecked, houses destroyed, cars destroyed, power lines down, power poles down...Trees down all over the place, i literally had to cut one up in the middle of the highway yesterday to get traffic through(luckily had my saw in the truck)....there were over 100 mph winds recorded in the immediate area...that storm just did billions of dollars worth of damage. I have never seen anything like it and hope to never see it again. We still do not have power and there is no ETA of it even coming back on. Pretty scary thing to go through

I live in Adel...its a f'n disaster! corn fields completely flat, grain bins gone, machine sheds gone, machinery wrecked, houses destroyed, cars destroyed, power lines down, power poles down...Trees down all over the place, i literally had to cut one up in the middle of the highway yesterday to get traffic through(luckily had my saw in the truck)....there were over 100 mph winds recorded in the immediate area...that storm just did billions of dollars worth of damage. I have never seen anything like it and hope to never see it again. We still do not have power and there is no ETA of it even coming back on. Pretty scary thing to go through

Widespread damage like that will add up. Very sorry to hear that. Basically an inland hurricane.

House took a direct hit from a very large old oak. The main roof looks to still be intact for the most part, back room crushed. I've spent most of the day chain sawing and haven't made a dent. The corn and beans look "ok" in our fields, better than some I've seen. Cell phone is basically a paper weight right now. I needed to stop by work for a Zoom meeting, so my phone has been using WiFi to download texts/emails that have come in. Gas stations are mostly cash only in Iowa City, credit cards aren't being read. One station I filled up at said they are about out of gas. Hope the power comes back soon or else I'm going to have a freezer full of beef and pork that will need to be tossed. Couple months back I called the local food bank about donating some of it and they said no, but we take cash donations. WTF?

My cheap lil greenhouse was victim here. Wife sent me this while I was at farm. No biggy. Saw some nasty stuff up north of this. Further south I saw this coming while doing farm work - hurried back & pretty wild but nothing hurt.
b180f689d6421182f3cc0cd3da0a939e.jpg

f6ce49125cac58a198b19bd4e1914be4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about everyone’s losses. Glad to hear that injuries were minimal .

This is the time communities come together, always a blessing to find just how good neighbors can be. Take care and stay safe. You will be in our thoughts.

kratz

Southern Boone County. It's a mess. Wonder how the deer live thru it....can hardly walk thru the woods with all the down trees. Suspect we will need to move a lot of stands, at least the ones not crushed. Should be interesting this fall.
Won't need to do any hinge cutting for a long time!

10 million acers of crops destroyed and the wide spread damage across the state will add up to big $$ losses. Never seen this much damage so wide spread after a storm.

We were in Michigan during it. We were lucky that the power came back on after 24 hours and the deep freeze full of beef was safe.

On the drive from Anamosa to CR to IC I've never seen so much damage. Flat crops, flat grain bins, down trees, etc. My family was so lucky it is unreal, but so many others are really really hosed.

I've never even heard of a Derecho, but if you had "Iowa Hurricane" on your list of F'd up things in 2020 bingo card you're a genius.

Southern Boone County. It's a mess. Wonder how the deer live thru it....can hardly walk thru the woods with all the down trees. Suspect we will need to move a lot of stands, at least the ones not crushed. Should be interesting this fall.
Won't need to do any hinge cutting for a long time!

I was wondering about the wildlife, I assume they all hunkered down, but you would think some would be the victim of a falling tree, or something? Sad deal

Here is some pretty raw footage from Newton I found on the tube. Crazy how hard the wind was blowing.
I talked to my cousin last night and he was in Grinnell when the storm hit.
He said it was so bad he called his wife and said this could be it for him. He was in his truck and said roofs and tree limbs were blowing over his truck. Very fortunate no lives were lost.

Top Bottom