Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plot and Drought

aaron bradt

This is the first year that we've put in a few food plots with Purple Top Turnips and radishes on a farm south of Albia. Got them in Aug 1 and caught one good rain, but since then it looks like its been super dry. I haven't been down since but just curious if you all think it could possibly bounce back or if it might be a goner. I've got a cell cam on it and its still just mostly dirt with just a little green coming up.
Anyone else seeing their plots stressed?

Yup they look exactly like they did 3 weeks ago! Bare dirt!!! No rain since I planted !! Pray for rain! Or doesn't matter what you plant!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Looks like the loneranger is not the only one thats dry. I planted way early with good rain but the August came and precip stopped. My growth slowed. The deer ate everything down to nubs. At least I fed the deer. Only a little earlier than I planned. Can plant greens mid September if it rains regularly but I have a whole lot of hard dry clay now. Forecast is even hotter and dry next 7 days. We can hunt without plots, cant we ? Think we can.

U all got plenty of time for “back up plots” if it’s a failure. Dbltree cereal mix... winter rye, winter peas, radish, oats, etc.
the rain will eventually come back. If u got tap roots down- might be just fine. Lots of organic matter & if u did no till- probably ok. If not- might be doing back up dbltree mix.

I planted some last week for a guy. No rain to speak of, not till made all the difference.
d39eed03283b5d0dbf7091bee44b0ba4.jpg
00364402a72c2c86874dc9fcbe924e62.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

What seed rate are you able to dial drill down to on brassicas?
I could go lower but the lowest I calibrated was 2.5# per acre on the Sweet Feast I planted. There is a little tillage radish in that which brings overall weight up slightly over straight Winfred brassicas. I have two setting below that I could use to lower is some more. That's straight seed, no filler.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hope your right Skip,,but rain does not have to come. Sept-Oct can be a transition time to Winter. Can be a very dry period. with all the drought on the map,,,not too confident on any wet. Check out the drought monitor map put out by the NWS,,NOAA. Iowa west,,,Drought...

Top Bottom