Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

Is the soil type the same? Maybe his farm caught a rain yours didn’t? I think the coating will help germination but beyond that I can’t see it helping much? Unless there’s more to the coating than just a moisture absorbent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree.
The coating ain't gonna help the root find water if none exist.

I agree.
The coating ain't gonna help the root find water if none exist.
Na ya not following. There was enough moisture in ground for plants but not enough to get non costed stuff germinated. Germination is the issue with non coated stuff. Here's a pic of costed seed. Non costed stuff looks horrible.
0031c522c8d54f376b270c461ab9b078.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Interesting. I didn’t realize those coatings could do that or served that purpose.
On the comparison - difference in Organic matter between soils & residue on top? What were both rotated out of?

Interesting. I didn’t realize those coatings could do that or served that purpose.
On the comparison - difference in Organic matter between soils & residue on top? What were both rotated out of?
Soils looked the same although obviously all soils are different. All comparison plots were new from grassy/weedy spots.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Does anyone have a general rule of thumb on how long the germ stays good on brassica seed stored in a dry cool basement?

OK thanks, I figured so, but now can assume my crap plots are from the lack of rain to get them germinated! Can't buy a rain over here.

I feel like this is year there alot of what to do's going forward. If your like me and many others you planted your brassicases late july early august and have yet to catch a rain good enough to germinate. Yes we still have options, i.e dbltree mix but do you add the radishes to the mix? Will the previously planted seeds come up with a good rain?
My example- I have a half acre plot that was planted to radishes the first week of august. When i was out there last there were literally 5 plants that had germinated...neat...so do i take that as only those seeds had enough moisture to germinate? or did the other see germinate and die immediately? I do not know...
My plan is to go over the field with oats, rye and clover so that way I at least have something there, but do I add radishes? Im thinking No but can be easily convinced to add some as well...
Damn you 2020!!!

I feel like this is year there alot of what to do's going forward. If your like me and many others you planted your brassicases late july early august and have yet to catch a rain good enough to germinate. Yes we still have options, i.e dbltree mix but do you add the radishes to the mix? Will the previously planted seeds come up with a good rain?
My example- I have a half acre plot that was planted to radishes the first week of august. When i was out there last there were literally 5 plants that had germinated...neat...so do i take that as only those seeds had enough moisture to germinate? or did the other see germinate and die immediately? I do not know...
My plan is to go over the field with oats, rye and clover so that way I at least have something there, but do I add radishes? Im thinking No but can be easily convinced to add some as well...
Damn you 2020!!!

Due primarily to drought in various years, I have had several times where my brassicas planted in early August'ish did not do well and then I have to do an "alternate Plan B" on the plot about this time of the year. Sometimes I just go with the traditional Dbltree rye/oats/clover/peas...sometimes I still go with late planted brassicas. But at this point on the calendar if I go with brassicas I will tilt the ratio to be heavy on radishes v. lighter on turnips. I have even done small (less than 1/2 acre) plots in all radish.

Due to lack of rain and derecho response, etc, I have not planted any brassicas yet this year. I am prepped up and ready to go...but no rain, etc. So I will likely do some smaller plots in 80% radish/20% turnips, but will now lean more heavily on the rye combo. For "candy", I will probably do a couple of smaller places with just peas too. Even turnips planted now, assuming you get some rain on them, will produce...but just not the giant bulbs. The deer will hit the tops as they pop up and you may get golf ball sized bulbs, or even slightly better, but those will be consumed, so it is not a waste...it is just much less than optimal.

For late season...I am hoping that I have enough corn to help them then...we'll see...I REALLY need to wipe out more coons.

Brassicas on right. Dbltree cereal grain mix drilled on left. The next few pics... brassicas doing fine with no rain for a long time now. This ground been no till for long time & lots of organic matter. I was forced to lightly disc about 1-2” this year (long story). I have moisture about 2-3” down. Radishes already getting hit. Drove up and deer were in it already at 4pm. Be nice to send some rain though and the drilled mix a sure would like to germinate.
*this is same plot I posted pic up on aug 11 on previous page Nice growth in that timeframe.
For folks that have brassicas hanging on... rain should rescue them and growth rate should be excellent.
64cabdf665b30d3566fa534a849133b3.jpg

cdc064b6af6b5caf9746aff86a8ffee5.jpg

45f33ca9fc305a124a11c6ccabc74945.jpg

d24970007f0e056f914a496927744416.jpg

Question on fertilizing after planting. I have this hang up about using my quad with a spreader and running over the plants. Does that seem like a legit concern or is that how everyone does it and they bounce back if ran over with the quad? My only green plot this year is 2.5 acres but I have others on rotation year roughly the same size.

Question on fertilizing after planting. I have this hang up about using my quad with a spreader and running over the plants. Does that seem like a legit concern or is that how everyone does it and they bounce back if ran over with the quad? My only green plot this year is 2.5 acres but I have others on rotation year roughly the same size.
Let er rip

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I believe that is called pigweed. Unfortunately I don’t know if a good way to handle that with the brassicas underneath it. Maybe mow and cross fingers?

I’m dealing with a similar scenario. Thankful I skipped spraying the final time bc my plot survived this crazy stretch of no rain. The downfall is intense weed pressure.

Think it’s best to mow it down to roughly the height of the radishes/turnips?

Yea I would try to set the mower just above or clip the tops of the brassicas.

I assume running them over won’t do any damage? I’ve sprayed Clethodim with the atv and it didn’t bother them a bit. Seemed to bounce right back

Top Bottom