Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Drought

Yep hopefully. Seen forecasts like this one fall flat though. They got last night’s right. Rain over NE Iowa! 1to2 inch forecast for my area. Now may wash my seed out of the ground. LOL

They are estimating 2.19" for next week all in, in nw mo. Need it terrible. Planted wheat and rye yesterday. Radishes could use a drink, and pumpkins, well, 600 seeds, 50 plants came up, and we count 6 pumpkins total.. first year for pumpkins, a lot to learn. .
Pumpkins are getting to be my favorite food plot plantings.
No need to disturb the soil once it's been tilled.
Just leave the ground be. Just before planting, nuke the field with round up.
All I do then is take a screwdriver, poke n wallow out a hole,drop in 2 seeds.
I place my plants about every 6-8 feet apart and my rows the same.
Once planted, I give each plant about a quart of water.
Once plants get going and are8 10 inches tall, I go down each row and cover them with 5 gallon buckets.
Nuke the weeds between the rows , take of buckets,and shift to the next row and repeat.
Has to be done on a calm day!!

Once that's done, it's good to go.
You may wanna spot spray later but not really necessary.
Pumpkins can do very well once they kick in even if weeds come back.
Been doing pumpkins n squash plots for 15 years and this is the method I use.
A superb late season food source!.

Once plants get going and are8 10 inches tall, I go down each row and cover them with 5 gallon buckets.
Nuke the weeds between the rows , take of buckets,and shift to the next row and repeat.

Thanks for the tips ! I'll give it a try next year doing this method. I planted pumpkins in 2 different areas. One near a water source that I can give them a drink every so often, and another bigger planting that's left to mother natures whims. The weeds overtook both plantings pretty quick, we hand weeded the smaller patch, and is where we have a few pumpkins. The bigger patch isn't fairing as well, weeds choked out most of them, and the ones that have fruit are only baseball size, I didn't count these as fruit since they aren't worth anything to me or the deer yet....I planted both for carving for the family, and for a deer food source.

Got 1.4 in. of rain last night. Didn't even close the cracks in the field so I know it all went in the ground. Hope you southern guys get some this week. Close to 100 degrees in Denver today, chance of snow out there Tues. morning. Quite the front coming through!

What is the target date to plant pumpkins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep NE Iowa the winner Sat night. Deer eat pumpkins? when do they like em ? They were used as bait,,when you could,,up in Mich, but had to be cold dead of winter before any interest? Maybe heavy rain for Iowa this week,,but still a maybe.

Pumpkins for deer... this is interesting. Wonder if a guy could crimp over winter rye and plant pumpkins into that? Didnt realize deer liked them so well- I gotta follow this some more.

You all wanted rain?!?!!! Well- I think u got it coming!!!! If ur mix is planted - it’s gonna be germinated shortly here. No more whining!!! :cool::)

I will try to answer all questions you fellas have in the pumpkins/ squash thread as to not derail this thread.
Glad to see some interest:)

I'm not holding my breath on my alfalfa seed germinating this week, due to how long ago I planted it, but it sure would be nice if at least a few sprouts were produced out of it.

I’m in SW Iowa and am running an experiment:
* Aug. 7 — Planted fall plots of brassicas and peas and beans
* No rain since then. Can only find a few peas that broke the surface as of yesterday.
* I don’t have any idea how much will germinate and grow with the rain after sitting in dry ground for a month.

So, here is the experiment:
* Yesterday, we overseeded the peas/beans with cereal rye before the rain on one of the plots.
* Last night we got about .9 inch and still cloudy/sprinkling today (although cold).
* We will be looking to see:
- Which of the brassicas, beans/peas actually germinates and grow after last nights rain after sitting in the ground for 4 weeks.
- How the rye does in the test plot.

Will use the results of this to decide how much more rye to plant on all the other plots.

Oh, and I go a great deal on the cereal rye from a local farmer who uses it as a cover crop. He buys bulk, and sold it to me at his cost. Good to make friends with your neighbors!

Still praying for more rain!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Sept aint over yet. Glad some got 3 inches. Many did not. I was lucky to get an inch and a half last night. I wish moisture would come spaced out though instead it seems to all come in one night or a couple days and then nothing for weeks. I tilled my failed plots up again. Planted rye,,oat,,wheat , in terrible dust. So dern dry it was. Some fert on it today. so we shall see. It will germ and come up no doubt but if it is dry the rest of Sept it may stop growing just like my Brass did. Need more frequent rains to keep things going.

When you get out of bed every day you have two choices.

1. You can say good morning God!
or
2. You can say good God it’s morning!

Your choice sets the tone for the day!!!

Wrong,,,I am glad for a week of cool and damp after so many sunny hot days. Just practical. I have seen my efforts at food plots fail in more than one Sept and Aug. They can be dry. the transition time between Summer and Winter. Can turn wet. Not the usual though. I do my plots with a walk behind 2 ft wide tiller. alot of work, no tractor or implements . Had one major investment in sweat fail completely so far. Had to do it all over again, so hope things work out this time. Just know the long range maps, if you believe them, show dry through the rest of Sept. Hope that's wrong. Man my ground was so dry was dust a foot deep. An inch and a half just got it damp . I could use alot more. I know places in west central IA missed most again. I feel for those poor folks. Can't understand why moisture keeps missing them? Weather is just ODD. Always thankful for all the blessings of everyday from on high. Earthly good or bad is just fleeting and really inconsequential.

I got 3/10" out of that whole 2 day weather system in west central Illinois. Some places close to here didn't even get that. It has been brutal here since about mid-July. We just keep missing everything. Oh well, at least it looks like a good acorn year around me.

Top Bottom