Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DNR launches Iowa Deer Exchange

Rjack

Just passing along. Many lockers are no longer doing HUSH and some are not even doing deer at all. Way too much demand for beef and pork processing for local lockers to stay with HUSH. Here is another option if you find yourself with more deer than you can eat or if you would like to be on a list to receive deer.
I can't answer questions other than what are listed below. I heard about this ahead of time as chair of the Polk County Deer Task Force, but had no part in setting it up.

The Iowa Deer Exchange Program
is a free online database where deer hunters willing to provide venison can connect with Iowans who want venison.

Hunters and those wanting to receive venison enter their contact information to the database and provide their location on a map. The location information will help you to connect with other program participants in your area.

Recipients choose the condition they want the meat when they register – boned out, field dressed, quartered, frozen, jerky /sausage or any, and in what amount. They also set the length of time their offer is open and may opt out at any time by contacting the Iowa DNR.

Once connected, the parties work out the details of the transfer. Donors are responsible for reporting the harvest and encouraged to properly care for the deer from the field to the recipient.

It is illegal to sell venison in Iowa.

https://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/Deer-Hunting?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery#collapseThree

Cool program, but amazing how many of the recipients want it already turned into sausage or jerky.

If it's offered as already processed, why not get it that way? If someone has the capacity to produce it then great, very generous of them. Personally, you’ll get a field dressed dear from me. If I had the facilities and time then maybe ground.

If it's offered as already processed, why not get it that way? If someone has the capacity to produce it then great, very generous of them. Personally, you’ll get a field dressed dear from me. If I had the facilities and time then maybe ground.
I suppose if offered that way, I'm just thinking that its a lot to ask. Maybe people don't understand the time that goes into processing. At best, I would grind some for someone when I am grinding the rest of mine.

Just a thought.... I know selling venison is illegal in Iowa, but could a person(not a locker) recover the processing costs? Anyone know?

If I have left over processed venison from the previous year I will often give that away. Salvation Army will always take any I want to donate. Otherwise if it is a deer form the current year it is getting donated whole.

I suppose if offered that way, I'm just thinking that its a lot to ask. Maybe people don't understand the time that goes into processing. At best, I would grind some for someone when I am grinding the rest of mine.

Just a thought.... I know selling venison is illegal in Iowa, but could a person(not a locker) recover the processing costs? Anyone know?

Sell them a cooler or basket. The meat is free. :cool:

There was huge billboard sign in Des Moines a few years ago “50 gazillion billion trillion kids in iowa go hungry every day”, etc etc. I just look around at where we live: free deer everywhere- programs or hunters, churches all over, ponds on every block, community gardens, Farm fields everywhere, etc etc, etc. combined with the overuse of pretty high dollar EBT/food stamps folks can get (& ya, often abuse or use perpetually - & yes, I remember we had em when I was a kid for a year or two- I get it). Just making that point or thought on all the stuff I see in our great Midwest & how “certain groups” somehow create hoards of victims & tragedies OR.... the folks that don’t have the knowledge to get the food or hunt, fish, garden - sure are being let down by a common sense education & Upbringing. IMHO- no reason kids should be going hungry in this state.... or maybe I just don’t believe they are. Either way- guess we got some deer options for em.

There was huge billboard sign in Des Moines a few years ago “50 gazillion billion trillion kids in iowa go hungry every day”, etc etc. I just look around at where we live: free deer everywhere- programs or hunters, churches all over, ponds on every block, community gardens, Farm fields everywhere, etc etc, etc. combined with the overuse of pretty high dollar EBT/food stamps folks can get (& ya, often abuse or use perpetually - & yes, I remember we had em when I was a kid for a year or two- I get it). Just making that point or thought on all the stuff I see in our great Midwest & how “certain groups” somehow create boards of victims & tragedies OR.... the folks that don’t have the knowledge to get the food or hunt, fish, garden - sure are being let down by a common sense education & Upbringing. IMHO- no reason kids should be going hungry in this state.... or maybe I just don’t believe they are. Either way- guess we got some deer options for em.

I share the same mindset with ya on this one... Threat of true starvation is a great motivator to work your butt off to keep food on the table and to accept the charity that's offered. Starvation isn't much of a true threat today.

The Hush program was a huge success over the years and I hope this new program has the same success. In the infancy with the new system it might be a challenging to get rid of venison only time will tell.
Another way to try to get rid of venison is to join a FB for sell/ trade group and post it there. If I have any that I want to get rid of I’ll try both ways if word of mouth fails.
Back to the lockers not wanting to deal with Hush deer I totally get that. My son-in-law and family bought the local locker last April. This particular locker has always been booked 9-12 months for custom beef and pork but now they are booked through 2021 and are filling up dates for 2022.

i just looked at the HUSH list and i am surprised at how few there are any more. Its sad because its such a great program for food banks. I exclusively donate any deer i shoot. I just don't like deer meat anymore and won't let it go to waste though.

Mikes meats in knoxville will be taking hush deer.

I am fortunate to have a couple local pastors that take 5+ deer every year for themselves and for people in their Parrish. They do all the processing. Along with processing 2 or 3 for myself and giving a couple to hush every year. we shoot a lot does so its awesome knowing they are going to a good cause My 2 sons have to shoot 2 does each before they get a buck. :)

Makes me wonder how many people are going to shoot deer this year planning to donate to HUSH only to find out they are not able to or have to drive a long ways to a locker still doing that.

Reactions: arm
I see Ruzicka’s is still listed, so between them and my coworker who I give deer to, I should be set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom