Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What's your unpopular hunting opinion

Using the phrase "ethical shot". What you mean is that you don't wanna spend time tracking it 3 days/miles... Like you wouldn't shoot a running coyote in the guts and watch it flop around

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

There shouldn’t be a “hunting industry” of “field staff” and “pro staff” pimping out a natural resource and promoting questionable commercial products by cranking out videos. 98% percent of that “market” is crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iowa has great bucks because the gun seasons happen well after the rut more than any other reason by far, and going to necked rifle cartridges wouldn't change that.

Well, this thread went a little different direction than I intended, but thankfully and surprisingly, everyone has allowed others to have an opinion without rebuttal.

Here's another one, long arming a deer or sitting at a strategic far back angle to make it look bigger just makes for an awkward looking photo.;)

As long as we're getting crazy... things that make a great bowhunter - a) no fear of heights b) either no job, or unemployment, or alcoholic who can't stay employed c) don't have a family or don't care about your family.

So a recipe for a killer bowhunter is an alchy who is probably divorced and isn't afraid to be 25' high! Those guys around here have an apartment wall full of trophies. I must point out the guys on this forum don't fit that mold.

That I'm honestly not that good of a hunter and don't really know what I'm doing much of the time. It's all luck or blessing of being in the right place at the right time.

My office walls say different, but dang I feel this way more days than I don't. When I tell people I don't consider myself a 'good hunter', they look at me like I'm being an a-hole, but I'm being serious. I don't think it's a confidence issue, because I don't lack confidence when it comes to the actual hunting and making the shots. Maybe it's just me.

Unpopular opinion: Knocking on doors, asking nicely and offering to help around farm doesn't work. Maybe it did 30 years ago. Maybe it does if you grew up around where you hunt and have known everyone since you were 5.
But i moved here 20 years ago and the struggle is real.

Reactions: arm
Pricing people out of what?

Genuinely curious.
Land lease. Huge buck Whitetail properties. Outdoor Channel. Magic formula buck attractant. Magic formula scent away. Magic invisible camouflage. You get the picture. I could go on and on. Forget about all the nonsense being pushed by the expert TV hunters. Use your common sense, wisdom through experience, hard luck lessons and go have fun.

Land lease. Huge buck Whitetail properties. Outdoor Channel. Magic formula buck attractant. Magic formula scent away. Magic invisible camouflage. You get the picture. I could go on and on. Forget about all the nonsense being pushed by the expert TV hunters. Use your common sense, wisdom through experience, hard luck lessons and go have fun.
I get it. Completely understand what your saying. Alot of the product stuff drives me nuts. Not needed AND not helpful.

That being said, I don't think anyone is being priced out of hunting. Very few anyway unless you are really really hard off. In order to hunt, a person doesn't need any of above. If you put in the time even in good spots on state land, with clothing from the 80's, with older bow or whatever, you can have success and more importantly have fun.

I get it. Completely understand what your saying. Alot of the product stuff drives me nuts. Not needed AND not helpful.

That being said, I don't think anyone is being priced out of hunting. Very few anyway unless you are really really hard off. In order to hunt, a person doesn't need any of above. If you put in the time even in good spots on state land, with clothing from the 80's, with older bow or whatever, you can have success and more importantly have fun.
I agree with that but every year more hunting ground is being lost to hunting leases. Iowa lags behind behind the nation which is a good thing for us but ask a hunter from Texas that can’t afford a lease what they think of public ground hunting.

Top Bottom