Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Your thoughts on Lakosky, Glesinger?

Rous14

PMA Member
Hey guys. I see Lee Lakosky once again breaks his personal best buck and Greg Glesinger shoots another 220 plus some incher as well. This is not a jealousy post, I’m happy for them and have no doubt they’ve worked their tails off for their success. But I am curious as to the how they’re doing it part of it. I’m sure they have lots of great land to hunt and I’ve always thought that there are tons of great hunters that if they had 1000 acres in Iowa they too would kill a lot of booners. But even w a lot of land, you still have neighbors. You still have ehd. Possible poaching. Car deer accidents. You still can’t control whether a 5 1/2 to 7 1/2 yr old buck tops out at 150” or 170” much less 230 or whatever.
How do you figure they seem to shoot one bigger almost every single year? Do you think there’s something more to the anilogics mineral than maybe we give it credit for? Are they doing something else management wise/food plot wise that most of us aren’t? Just incredible that they can continue to kill free ranging animals of THAT caliber. Crazy

I believe it's a correlation to the # of acres they have access to.

I have permission on maybe 3-5 farms per year. Far from high quality deer hunting pieces (40-100 acres of mostly ag with a few draws, etc) & with other people hunting them too. I can always find at least one 160"-180" if I am putting in the time/work. I'd imagine scanning across thousands of acres in southern Iowa the odds that you're finding something 200"+ has to drastically increase. Not only thousands of acres but thousands of PRIME acres. I enjoy watching Lee & Tiffany mainly because Lee is an incredible shot, those long range slow motion shots are the coolest thing ever IMO.

I'd be really curious what others think about mineral. I've also wondered the same thing. It obviously works for deer in a pen. I'd assume most folks aren't spending the money to do it "right" and actually see a substantial difference.

I would guess it is acres under management, plus full access to blinds, plots, cameras...etc... If I had that many acres I would feel confident in shooting a giant almost every year. Three problems, I do not have that many acres, I cannot shoot as far as Lee, and I am not a resident to hunt the giants every year. There are some guys on here that put down big ones every year, but you just don't see it on TV.

Huge bucks anywhere is just incredibly hard. There’s not as many as perception would have u believe. Any folks u think knock down tons of giants- it’s not as many as u think...... I can promise you there’s multiple whole seasons where there isn’t a 190”+ to hunt. I know multiple large land owners... countless farms where there’s whole seasons without a deer XYZ person really wants to chase.
In general- the ONLY way to have giants every year.... u better have like 5-8 “big farms” that have been managed right. That way- on a rough year- 3-4 of them may have nothing big but u still have a few farms with big ones. The amount of people who do have this or are capable of it: .001% of hunters I bet ;). Very few.
The next best thing..... a guy who can put the work in for years to have 10-20 “good farms to hunt”. Again- very few will do this. The amount of time & headaches & work is staggering. If a guy is willing to do this- I hope they are rewarded. No one, including myself, would want to deal with all this. But it would result in giants. No ? in my mind.

so - guys who own, lease, have permission- ETC, ETC on “tons of farms”..... now u have to spend time on all of em.... pinpoint some shooters- takes tons of time. Then u gotta set up on em... get to 20-30 yards or whatever. Hope they don’t vanish. Hope there’s a food source that maybe u can pattern in October. Or roll the dice u find em during rut. Still neighbors, poaching, ehd, bucks that leave, u name it.
The guys who “shoot tons of big bucks” - they don’t shoot as many big bucks as u think. It’s ridiculously hard. When u get over 190-200” - it’s just so few deer have those genetics & reach an old age. IMO - most deer need to get to 6-7-ish to hit 200”. Some do younger but it’s more rare. To get that age and genetic combo to work out & seal the deal at 20 yards- so hard!!!! To do with consistency- at BIG deer- either: doesn’t really happen with consistency or it’s so much land, time, work, travel - it’s mind boggling.
When u talk 200” deer..... I mean, I know some guys that have hunted 20-35 years that I think are “top notch”.... maybe 3-4 200” deer is most I can think of????
100% agree- u can have best hunting skills but not be around giant deer. I know guys from MI or MN or WI who are incredible hunters.... usually shoot 120-140” deer at biggest - cause that’s what their area produces at the peak or best for their area. Hunting skills and big deer have some overlap but u still have to add elements that are huge obstacles... it really means only a tiny tiny tiny amount of guys can be successful at or or even want to do what that entails.

Re Glesinger's deer... I almost hate to ask this because it could sound like a knock, or disrespect, petty, jealous, whatever.... that is NOT intent of question. 100% respect to the hunter and the deer.

Just an interesting observation/question. Does that deer not look 4 when he is walking in? Maybe he is older and they have history, etc.... I just don't see it. Which brings me to multiple followup questions. Team Drury has really pushed the ani-logics... maybe Lee too? I don't pay do much attention to the sponsorship game... but maybe they really have somthing that works beyond what we thought possible.

There is no doubt in my mind that Lee earns every monster he shoots. The haters online are out of their mind. The man simply outworks 99.99% of people and has put himself in position to have resources that most can only dream of because of that work. Nothing but respect there.

Last edited:
I truly feel its a long term effort to producing "top end" deer! It takes years of all the high quality food they can eat and minerals for them year after year! Not gonna have the effect you want to plant 1 food plot and a bag of mineral!!! Takes years on the same farms to bring the whole herd up to its potential. Not just bucks! Does need to be in tip top shape as well to have best chance to grow giants ! Remember does are at least 50pct the genetic equation also! And then..... you still gotta get them!!! If they reach that level!! Those guys put in tons of time and resources that most of us just do not have!! Just do what you can and remember to HAVE FUN!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Huge bucks anywhere is just incredibly hard. There’s not as many as perception would have u believe. Any folks u think knock down tons of giants- it’s not as many as u think...... I can promise you there’s multiple whole seasons where there isn’t a 190”+ to hunt. I know multiple large land owners... countless farms where there’s whole seasons without a deer XYZ person really wants to chase.
In general- the ONLY way to have giants every year.... u better have like 5-8 “big farms” that have been managed right. That way- on a rough year- 3-4 of them may have nothing big but u still have a few farms with big ones. The amount of people who do have this or are capable of it: .001% of hunters I bet ;). Very few.
The next best thing..... a guy who can put the work in for years to have 10-20 “good farms to hunt”. Again- very few will do this. The amount of time & headaches & work is staggering. If a guy is willing to do this- I hope they are rewarded. No one, including myself, would want to deal with all this. But it would result in giants. No ? in my mind.

so - guys who own, lease, have permission- ETC, ETC on “tons of farms”..... now u have to spend time on all of em.... pinpoint some shooters- takes tons of time. Then u gotta set up on em... get to 20-30 yards or whatever. Hope they don’t vanish. Hope there’s a food source that maybe u can pattern in October. Or roll the dice u find em during rut. Still neighbors, poaching, ehd, bucks that leave, u name it.
The guys who “shoot tons of big bucks” - they don’t shoot as many big bucks as u think. It’s ridiculously hard. When u get over 190-200” - it’s just so few deer have those genetics & reach an old age. IMO - most deer need to get to 6-7-ish to hit 200”. Some do younger but it’s more rare. To get that age and genetic combo to work out & seal the deal at 20 yards- so hard!!!! To do with consistency- at BIG deer- either: doesn’t really happen with consistency or it’s so much land, time, work, travel - it’s mind boggling.
When u talk 200” deer..... I mean, I know some guys that have hunted 20-35 years that I think are “top notch”.... maybe 3-4 200” deer is most I can think of????
100% agree- u can have best hunting skills but not be around giant deer. I know guys from MI or MN or WI who are incredible hunters.... usually shoot 120-140” deer at biggest - cause that’s what their area produces at the peak or best for their area. Hunting skills and big deer have some overlap but u still have to add elements that are huge obstacles... it really means only a tiny tiny tiny amount of guys can be successful at or or even want to do what that entails.
All interesting conversation and I agree w pretty much all of your points here. It almost furthers my point and my fascination or intrigue though. When you talk about top notch hunters over 25-35 years with maybe a few 200 inchers and just how rare of an animal that is....I agree 100%!!! That’s why when someone like Glesinger who if I’m not mistaken has killed 3 over 200 in 3 straight years now or maybe it’s been 4 years that just defies all logic. Unless he owns or has access to A LOT more ground than is my perception (and even then 200” deer are unicorns even in a state like Iowa as you discussed in your post.) Can’t help but ask what the heck they’re doing to generate that level of success (not in an illegal or unethical matter at all, much respect for those guys). I mean look at Winke for example. He had 1000 acres that he clearly managed the heck out of and yeah, he had some quality years back in the late 2000s into 2011 but for probably the last 7 or 8 straight years it didn’t seem like he had anything over 160 maybe 170 and yet Glesinger/Lakosky are killing 200” plus seemingly every year or every other year? I have a 270 ac farm in IL and even if I owned all the ground in every direction of me totaling a few thousand acres I wouldn’t expect having a 200” on my farm maybe once every 10-15 years at best? And that’s just having him on camera or seeing him much less killing him. Just mind blowing what these guys are pulling off.

Last edited:
IBH1983......I thought same thing on Greg’s deer but who knows. And agree 100% with everything you said in regards to Lee and all those guys. Nothing but respect. He and Tiffany both have proven to be unbelievable archers too. They execute some shots that I’m not even considering for a second no matter how big the buck is bc I’m simply not that proficient. Can’t fathom the amount of work that must go in to owning and managing that many acres. The hours, farm equipment, stands, blinds, cost of seed and fertilizer, etc....Heck, I’d hate to even guess how many trail cameras they must have and monitor, 300 maybe more? As skip said, .0001% of us could pull that off even if we had the desire to.

Last edited:
Re Glesinger's deer... I almost hate to ask this because it could sound like a knock, or disrespect, petty, jealous, whatever.... that is NOT intent of question. 100% respect to the hunter and the deer.

Just and interesting observation/question. Does that deer not look 4 when he is walking in? Maybe he is older and they have history, etc.... I just don't see it. Which brings me to multiple followup questions. Team Drury has really pushed the ani-logics... maybe Lee too? I don't pay do much attention to the sponsorship game... but maybe they really have somthing that works beyond what we thought possible.

There is no doubt in my mind that Lee earns every monster he shoots. The haters online are out of their mind. The man simply outworks 99.99% of people and has put himself in position to have resources that most can only dream of because of that work. Nothing but respect there.

Lee does work hard, he is simply obsessed. There is a video that shows how he wants perfection on food plots, stands, everything--basically admits he is obsessive/compulsive. Not many will go to that extreme, and not many have the ability to control that many prime acres.

Making the shot when it counts is a big factor as well. I think most of us, can say we messed up on some big ones!

***Location is key, he never shot any big bucks in MN that I am aware of. He grew up and lived in Minnesota for many years, as did Tiffany.

Look at gage adair I believe his farm in Decatur co. Is 700 ish? Acres and he has 2 over 200 and other upper end deer . Location is very much the no. 1 factor!!!! You cannot kill what isn't there!!! And some areas and hunters win the lottery !! Right farm right time! Stars have to align perfectly for bucks to go over 200! And great neighbors is a huge help also!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Lee does work hard, he is simply obsessed. There is a video that shows how he wants perfection on food plots, stands, everything--basically admits he is obsessive/compulsive. Not many will go to that extreme, and not many have the ability to control that many prime acres.

Making the shot when it counts is a big factor as well. I think most of us, can say we messed up on some big ones!

***Location is key, he never shot any big bucks in MN that I am aware of. He grew up and lived in Minnesota for many years, as did Tiffany.
He Killed a 177 typical 10 in Minnesota before he moved to Iowa.

200" whitetail are impressive, no matter who harvests them, or how they're harvested.

With that said, if you are a professional hunter, with thousands of prime private acres to hunt and "manage", and you operate a few hundred cameras, food plots, etc. You're going to get shot opportunities at 200" bucks.

If not, then either the local genetics are awful, or you're screwing up one of the fundamentals.

No disrespect but as I have mentioned in another post on this VERY subject. Read Lakoskys book and it will answer this discussion!!! As Skip eluded to, ACRES that are managed in the RIGHT area is the answer. I don’t know about Gleisinger but Lakosky and Drurys own SECTIONS of contiguous ground not an 80 acre farm here and there. 700 acres albeit an awesome farm most of us would love to have is proven to not be sufficient to manage and control a buck for 365. Has to be in a good area with similar goals by the neighbors. As I said no disrespect but the 99.9999% of us on this site do not have what it takes to GROW 200 inch deer consistently. Don’t get me wrong, good management on 80 acres pays off occasionally but 4 200s in consecutive years VERY difficult. I’m beginning to think Rob must be shooting these guys’ “management” bucks! :D

Last edited:
I guess what I am saying is there has to be a 200 on your hunting property for you to kill one. Doubtful they could kill a 200 on 99.99% of the properties the IW members hunt because 200s are rare!!!

Last edited:
Interesting stuff, you see pics of folks shooting these deer and wonder what’s their secret. Anyone I’ve ever met that’s exceptionally good at anything is exceptionally dedicated to one and only one thing. I’ve hung two stands, dug out my gear and started shooting in less then thirty days. I love the game but not dedicated enough, married, kids, coach kids, two jobs, two volunteer boards... Get my fix at this point reading about others skill, knowledge and experiences on here. Thanks for sharing!

My question, how many on here or troll here like me have harvested a 200” and never tell?

I don't know anything about Glesinger, but I do know a little bit about the Lakosky's as their main farm is not terribly far from mine. (I don't know if they own, or lease, other places elsewhere...but I am under the impression that they are not strictly confined to just one farm. Even if they are, it is a great location, one known for big deer.)

That being said...in my experience...you can do everything right and still not get 200"+ inchers grown all that often, even in SE Iowa, etc. Again, that is my experience, obviously theirs is different, because they aren't just fluking one every so often, they get a super giant, or even more than that, every year it seems. So I suspect that in addition to doing everything else right, that they are supplemental feeding them in some form. It is just my opinion and not any type of a slight on their accomplishments. It's just that I have a hard time seeing how they get that many bucks over 200" if they are not.

As far as I know they are perfectly legal and ethical in their pursuit of these beasts and as such, I congratulate them on their success and wish them even more big bucks in the future. But I would be curious to know if there is a "secret recipe" or something that leads to these super giants...virtually every year.

At any rate, congrats to Lee on another giant!

Interesting stuff, you see pics of folks shooting these deer and wonder what’s their secret. Anyone I’ve ever met that’s exceptionally good at anything is exceptionally dedicated to one and only one thing. I’ve hung two stands, dug out my gear and started shooting in less then thirty days. I love the game but not dedicated enough, married, kids, coach kids, two jobs, two volunteer boards... Get my fix at this point reading about others skill, knowledge and experiences on here. Thanks for sharing!

My question, how many on here or troll here like me have harvested a 200” and never tell?

Or...are dummies like me and had a legit chance at a 200"+ once and didn't pull the trigger...at about 8 yards!! For real...way back when I started deer hunting I was more of a turkey hunter and I was walking into a stand once and spied some turks out in a nearby field. Jackpot! I immediately went into stalk mode on the turks and was slinking down a creekbed with an arrow on the string, as the turks were just up the hill a little ways from me.

Well...pure blind luck, other than I was deliberately sneaking my way down the creek, I look to my left and there is a doe standing there staring at me about 20 feet away. My first thought...CRAP! I hope she doesn't snort and scare the turkeys. I froze and we had a very brief stare down when I noticed another deer about 8 feet away from her, closer yet to me...on my side of the creek bed! Giant buck...holy crap...I hope HE doesn't snort and scare the turkeys away. (Yes, I was quite dumb in my youth. :) (Cue Wapsi...I teed it up for you there. :))

Arrow on string, pointing in the direction of giant buck that was less than 10 yards away...do not draw...may scare deer who will scare turkeys. :) As I now know, he was in LOVE and did not immediately bolt...but walked away from me broadside. He went to jump out of the creek bed and slipped and fell chest first on the opposite bank, making a loud sound as he landed and knocking his breath out momentarily. Still do not draw. Idiot I am.

He was later taken on the adjoining farm and scored somewhere in the 230" range, many, many points, mass, all of it. I had him dead to rights and I doubt I would have missed that close of a shot had I just not been so focused on those stupid turkeys. :) True story and I still have never shot a 200". :)

Top Bottom