Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How many calls do you generally carry?

Here are the calls I love to use.

Blodgett Double Trouble
-low soft pitch, great for purrs,clucks
Blodgett Legacy
-Loudest slate call I have ever heard! Almost any bird will shock gobble to this one!
Blodgett Box call
Just a simple box call with good sound, great for giving a few soft tree yelps to those hens
3 or 4 assorted mouth calls
-Just a simple mixture really like raspy ones, for when the birds are close

I really like the Blodgett calls, and the artwork on the legacy and box call is awesome! They look great with the laminated stricer

How many calls do I carry? All of 'em
evil.gif

Seriously, I have all the bells and whistles too, but if I only left home with the Primos stacked double mouth call (I call it the cheeseburger call) I'd be perfectly content.

NWBuck

I got way too many calls,but generally carry 4 to 6 calls for gunning,and only a few when bowhunting.I try to mix my calls up and use different ones when hitting the same areas from day to day.And I pay attention to what other hunters are using in certain areas when the pressures on and avoid those calls.But my favorites to carry while gunning are,

1.Boxcall-Billy Whites Hustlin Hen,one of the best boxcall I've ever heard,has a good rasp to it.

2.Slate-Lynch Jet,My favorite for soft clucks and purrs.

3.Pot calls-Aluminum or Titanium (homemade versions) Good for all around calling and great for loud sharp cutting,or Primos Crystal also.

4.Mouthcalls-carry a few at all times,definitely have too many of these,21 the last I counted.
crazy.gif
Some of my favorites.
Gulvas-Triple
Primos-True Double
Pittmans-Black Diamond
H.S.Strut-V-Max and Fang

5.Locator-Pileated Woodpecker
One that seems to work at times that many others don't seem to use.

6.Tube call-B&R
Like to use this at times on stubborn birds,after some hen calls,I'll use this tube for a jake gobble,which makes them very jealous at times.

I think it pays to carry a few different calls at times,or at the least,a few different strikers to change the pitch of calls.Even if you sound as good as Waltor Parrot,some days birds might not show intrest in a certain call or pitch,for various reasons.And just by changing strikers or calls can make all the difference at times.

i addition to my earlier reply to this, i picked up 3 mouth calls from wallyworld, an H.S. ultra cutter, raspy old hen,and a primos stacked frame double. all i need is a crow call, or woodpecker, and i'm set

as many as i can possibly carry
i actually carry an empty golf bag full of assorted calls,
i usually carry over a 1000 calls

of course thats what my wife would say.....
grin.gif
grin.gif

in all reality
-1 double glass
-1 glass over slate
-1 custom Single glass (i made it)
-4-8 assorted strikers....usually 1 carbon, 1 rosewood, 1 purple heart, one laminate......but i may toss in some others just for fun.
-1 box usually the Heart Breaker, from Primos,
-1 Custom Box.....maybe, but i like the Heart Breaker better....my box calls arent perfected yet.
-3-8 mouth calls, i do use them all at different times.....1 cutter, 1 xtra rasp, 1 no rasp (kee kee,etc) 1 for general yelping,(these are homemade as well) and a bunc more incase i drop it out my mouth in a cow pie....yes this has happened.
-1 HS crow call
-1 Palmer hoot tube (wooden one)
-1 coyote howler
-1 peacock call, (when i get it back from a hunting buddy
cussing.gif

-1 4-way strut seat and butt pad,
-1 bottle of water
-1 gallon ziplock bag for Shrooms
and yes i do feel like a Cabela's catalog from time to time.....but it seems to work
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Top Bottom