Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

¿Slug Barrel Question?

AIRASSAULT

PMA Member
I have a Remington 870 12 ga Supermag and I want to buy a fully rifled slug barrel for it. Bass Pro shops has $20 off right now, plus I have a gift card and so I need to burn it up.
I want a barrel that has a Cantilever Scope Mount and is fully rifled. The options that I see on Bass pro are 20" Special Purpose, and 20" Wingmaster. What is the difference between a Wingmaster and Special Purpose? I always thought Wingmaster meant it was a smooth bore /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif.

Thanks,
Bill

Wingmaster is just the type of gun... I beleive the SP holds bigger " rounds for the gun.. Most winger's hold a 2 3/4 shell.... where the Sp I think would hold 3's and 3 1/2's

I may be wrong, but at one time the special purpose barrels had the non glare (parkerized) finish. It may still be the same.

Thanks guys.. looks like I will go with the "Special Purpose" barrel then.. On the other hand, I have had a TON of luck with the good ole smoothbore and Remington 2 3/4" Sluggers. I don't know if I want to change over quite yet.. Anybody see any "Huge" differences in accuracy...? Obviously the rifled barrel with sabots would be way better for sitting in a stand and shooting 100+ yds, but most of my shooting is 75 yds or less and I'm usually dead nuts. Plus, it sure is nice only paying like $2 for a box of rifled slugs rather than $15 for sabots.

The lighter the slug , the more accurate! and the less the caliber the more sniper.... Hands down you can't beat a 20 gauge slug gun! But my slug days are over:( Too many peices of lead whip'n around for me!

The SP would be a matte finish and the wingmaster is blued. I would purchase a Hastings barrel if they still carry them? Better product and and I think you can get more twist? I had one for a 870 and was very happy with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Typical250</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The lighter the slug , the more accurate! and the less the caliber the more sniper.... Hands down you can't beat a 20 gauge slug gun! But my slug days are over:( Too many peices of lead whip'n around for me! </div></div>

Funny you mention that.. For a few years, I've always thought about just buying a 20ga 870 and trickin' it out with a nice barrel, scope, and mag. extension.. I guess I never did though cuz I just love the knock down power of that 12 ga slug flying through the air. I have had my fair share of close encounters with slug's flying through the air....(I think).. I hear that "ZIIIIIING" sound and I always wonder how close it actually is... It has never scared me though.. For some reason, it's kindof intriguing to me... Maybe because it just adds to the adrenaline rush of the whole hunting experience......Now that I've said that, In no way would I ever purposely put myself or anyone else in harms way for a deer, but, s*** happens..

If I were you I'd take a look at Badger Barrels as well. The guy makes custom rifle barrels as well as shotgun slug barrels. I have one on my 1187. I absolutely love mine. They have the fastest twist available. and for an 870 they are only $209. Here is the info listed on their web page.

Shotgun Barrels:
Made in the USA and We mean it.
Some companies claim to be made in the USA but in reality they still deal with foreign parts and labor. That does not support the USA or its work force. All products manufactured by Badger Barrels are made in the USA.
1-26 “Fast Twist” Cut Rifling.
The fastest 12-gauge rifling in the industry. We work with the major Ammunition companies to make our barrels perform flawlessly with the new high speed Sabot slugs.
Match Grade Steel
We use the finest Match Grade Steel to ensure every barrel is consistent in its performance.
Machined Cantilevers
No Castings here. Every one of our cantilevers is machined to exact specification out of Match Grade Steel. Every scope locks in for a perfect fit.
Sight Systems
We use the very best fiber optic rifle sights available. All sight parts are steel to withstand years of field use.
Fit and Function
Every one of our barrels goes through a rigorous inspection at every step of manufacturing to ensure smooth fit and function with unbelievable accuracy for the customer.
Performance
In independent testing using factory ammo, our 20 Gauge test barrels cut 4-inch holes at 200 yards. The 12 Gauge barrels had the same groups at 150-175 yards. Currently, we do not have the 20 Gauge barrels in production, but watch this sight for updates.
Information - Use of Fast-Twist Slug Barrel
NOT FOR USE WITH LEAD SLUGS -
You will not like the performance since the barrels will lead up severely. Lead slug ammunition is meant for smooth bore or very slow-twist rifling. It is fairly easy to recommend types of shells for pumps and bolt actions because of the solid lockup. But with autos, due to the different lock-up types, different action spring tensions, and different locations of the gas ports in relation to the front of the chamber, ammunition recommendation is not as easy. Different ammunition makers use different propellants even though none load hotter than 12,000 PSI. Due to the different types of propellants, peak pressure occurs at different locations in the barrel. With the gas ports being located in different areas from one model to the next, you must find the brand of ammunition that most closely matches your firearm needs. The bolt tightness or the spring tension changes the accuracy. Six out of ten guns of the same type may like one brand, but the other four may all take different types to get the same performance. The hammer strike or even the extractor pulling the bolt to the right changes the difference in the powder ignition. They weren't built as match rifles, but the with right barrel and ammuntions, they can shoot like them.

Check with Boyd at Buck Hollow Sports in Pella. He has a very nice Remington 870 12 ga Magnum slug gun for sale I believe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AIRASSAULT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the great info.. I'll check into those barrels, SWIABOONER! </div></div>

Don't be afraid to call them. I called with a question and ended up being on the phone with the guy for about 15 minutes just talking barrels, shooting, hunting etc. He's a great guy can't think of his name right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Typical250</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The lighter the slug , the more accurate! and the less the caliber the more sniper.... Hands down you can't beat a 20 gauge slug gun! But my slug days are over:( Too many peices of lead whip'n around for me! </div></div>

Couldn't agree more T. I've got guys shooting smoothbore 20's with Remington Sluggers High Velocity (HV is lighter and faster than the regular Sluggers) and getting 2" groups at a 100yds.

But you put a Fully rifled barrel, scope, and shoot the Hornaday Sabots and watch out.

Plus you got a lot lighter, more nimble gun. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom