Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

“Turkey population per square mile”???

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
anyone have any data or ideas what densities could be like? So- let’s say you have some ideal situations... tons of cover and food & low pressure.... see flocks of 80-100 often. A member on here sounded like he was uniquely “over run” with turkeys. And I’ve seen this. So- I’m just curious - could it be a few hundred per square mile at top end?

I don’t turkey hunt BUT my mind goes to keeping “balance” & I know if u shoot toms, it really won’t do much damage from my understanding? Birds live, what, 4-6 years??? I’ll never shoot too many toms but say guys “saw and shot 20 big Toms” - is there a point where U need to quit killing? (obviously I can make the loose relationship with deer that if u over kill young bucks- ur screwed for seasons ahead). Also wanna keep those rascals under check for damage to seed & the “possible myth” they are hard on pheasants.

Dunno much about the biology here but wanna learn more.

Lots of Jake's that will be 2 year old birds the following spring. Unless you are hammering all the Tom's and lots of Jake's, I don't think spring hunting will slow them down much.
Let me know if you have too many, be happy to take some out. ;)

The DNR said winter flock of 40 was a huntable group. 6 years is a lucky bird. Turkeys over here seems to be on the rise after several years of poor hatch. There was a study going on along the Mississippi to find out more about lower populations but I haven't heard anything more about this.

Seems like if you have big elevation changes timber/draws/food ...turkeys call it home

There are farms in South Dakota that easily have 100 per section... but they move a lot.

Top Bottom