Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

1 acre food plot

deerslayershorty

Just bought 26 acres and have two honey hole acres to turn into plots. Is it a good idea to mix clover and turnips or just do one or the other? I acquire the land July 20th, is this too late to spread the seed?

End of july is perfect for turnips/brassicas. Don't plant clover with turnips/brassicas, they can't compete. If possible split in half and do brassicas end of july and mid-late august do the other part in dbltree's rye/clover/radishes/peas mix. Read thru his threads.

End of july is perfect for turnips/brassicas. Don't plant clover with turnips/brassicas, they can't compete. If possible split in half and do brassicas end of july and mid-late august do the other part in dbltree's rye/clover/radishes/peas mix. Read thru his threads.

Exactly right, worth repeating. You should still be able to havea couple of nice plots...provided it rains in August and September.

I'd suggest one plot of oats/clover!

Oats planted in the fall are very attractive to deer!

I completely disagree with 6x6. When you plant your brassicas in the fall mix clover in. Clover will not come in that good this fall, but will come in great in the spring and be the first green food source available. It has worked great for me on my property and in my plots.

The more green leaf surface available to intercept the spray the better the root kill. Spray first, get good coverage...wait until you see most of the plants starting to turn yellow and then it will be o.k. to mow short.....seed to soil contact and moisture are critical........good luck

Top Bottom