Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

1 acre food plot

Rutty

I have a 1 acre food plot that is fairly secluded on a farm i hunt in southern iowa. For the last 4 years I have planted turnips with average success. Each year the turnips have turned out pretty decent as far as growth is concerned. They normally hit them pretty hard during bow season. From my observation it seems that there are plenty of turnips laying in the plot but they tend to stop hitting them right around 1st or 2nd shotgun season and then it becomes a ghost town. My late muzzleloader season and shotgun seasons over the plot havent been very impressive. Anybody have any recommendations on something else to plant that would be a late season draw. I am not able to make the plot any bigger so have stayed away from beans since they would probably be destroyed before gun season.

For one I would definitely change it up as planting turnips every year is not good practice. And i dont see any reason you cant plant beans. Youll provide great summer food and if they destroy them you can go back and plant the dbltree mix in september or if they make it then you can just spread some rye over them after they begin to defoliate. Another option would be to plant the beans and then fence them off.

All good above. Lay off brassicas for year or 2. U need a break for disease & pest reasons.
clovers, dbltree rye mix, etc. read the dbltree section!!!
https://www.iowawhitetail.com/forum/forums/dbltrees-corner.45/
this year I had some brassicas eaten to nothing. Same with a couple grain spots. Saved my butt on those spots having clover on edges & a dbltree rye mix drilled into patches.

First year of good brassicas and the deer don't seem to hit them. I'd suggest soybeans and electric fence. Overseed with rye and brassicas. I can't see any usage on the turnip bulbs.

First year of good brassicas and the deer don't seem to hit them. I'd suggest soybeans and electric fence. Overseed with rye and brassicas. I can't see any usage on the turnip bulbs.
This isn't that uncommon imo. Somtimes it takes a couple years, but deer always seem to learn to love em.

You might try Eagle forage soybeans as well. They're dumb expensive (think I paid about $85 for 50 lb. bag), but they're designed to grow through browse pressure, grow taller and stay green deeper into the season...all of which are true based on my experience. I haven't bought them for a few years because we have access to free traditional seed, but they might be good for your application. Believe there was a dealer in Brookings SD where I had mine shipped from, and yes, they are RR. Good luck.

NWBuck

Top Bottom