Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

1 deer hunter looking for a place to shotgun hunt

meatcleaver

meatcleaver
I'm looking for a place to deer hunt during the first shotgun season of this year. I have 2 rejection points so getting a tag shouldn't be a problem this year. I would like a spot in the southern half of the state preferably with low hunting pressure. I would like to shoot a 135 class or better. I wouldn't have anyone hunting with me but have no problem sharing a property with someone. I'm honest, respectful and will follow all rules and regulations. Not looking for an outfitter hunt, would rather have a do it yourself hunt. I would need to come out and see the property and meet face to face before I sign any paperwork or give deposit. Call , text or email Tim at 706-260-7905

Clever, your best bet is to visit the zone you will be hunting and knock on farmers doors. Contrary to what you will be told here getting access to good hunting property is not difficult. Most farmers welcome hunters as they view deer as a nuisance. I guarantee if you visit 10 farms you'll get access to 3 or 4. Give it a try and let us know. What zone are you applying for?

I would like to find a place in Zone 5 or zone 6. My problem is that I live in Tennessee so making a trip to knock on doors would be very hard right now. I wish I had gotten started looking a little sooner because I'm running out of time because of the application deadline. I have to know which zone to apply for. I don't know whether to just apply and hope I find a spot or not.

I agree with 6x6. I tried this 5-6 years ago in n e Iowa. Knocked on 50 doors zero people let me bow hunt. This was after I hunted the same farm for 25 years, which was sold. Fun times.

I also can't see it, around here every farm is spoken for. Unless you are willing to hunt public, I wouldn't expect to find alot or any permission on short notice. Public can be good, just never know. I know the public pressure is less the last few years during gun 1. Also I would say gun 1 only unless you have private with food sources

Clever, don't buy it. I've been hunting zone 5 for 15 years and know several farmers who allow hunting. I've put my time in and done my due diligence and that's what you must do. But do not get discouraged by those who say all property is spoken for, not true. Now, you may have to share or hunt a piece that's not perfect, but its out there.

Clever, don't buy it. I've been hunting zone 5 for 15 years and know several farmers who allow hunting. I've put my time in and done my due diligence and that's what you must do. But do not get discouraged by those who say all property is spoken for, not true. Now, you may have to share or hunt a piece that's not perfect, but its out there.
I've been deer hunting eastern Iowa for over 50 yrs. You couldn't get into a shotgun party unless you married into the family or grandfathered in from generations. I don't know of a single farm in my county you could gain permission my knocking. Now maybe a nonresident landowner has leverage!

It seems to depend on location. I have access to another big farm (that I do not own) but not exclusive, archery seems to be easier.

I met a guy by Indianola that had access to like 10 farms, he never paid a dime, and he seemed to lose one and then gain another one yearly.

Kind of surprised me since it was so close to Des Moines.

I've been deer hunting eastern Iowa for over 50 yrs. You couldn't get into a shotgun party unless you married into the family or grandfathered in from generations. I don't know of a single farm in my county you could gain permission my knocking. Now maybe a nonresident landowner has leverage!
Odd I bet I could get on a bunch around here if I asked but again I'd be sharing it. . I think if your well respected in a small community it's not hard at all . There is one lease in our county . Non res would be tough though .. I'm sure the private I hunt looks good , but since every tom dick and harry hunts it 140s is a nice buck . I've seen that on public ground .

Last edited:
Odd I bet I could get on a bunch around here if I asked but again I'd be sharing it. . I think if your well respected in a small community it's not hard at all . There is one lease in our county . Non res would be tough though .. I'm sure the private I hunt looks good , but since every tom dick and harry hunts it 140s is a nice buck . I've seen that on public ground .
So you are saying there are farms near you that don't get hunted shotgun? Pretty hard to gain respect as a nonresident hunter in a small or large community. Like I said; it's next to impossible to get into a shotgun group where I live even as a resident. I can't imagine many groups reaching out for a one time nonresident hunter unless they have some sort of in with family or friends.

It seems to depend on location. I have access to another big farm (that I do not own) but not exclusive, archery seems to be easier.

I met a guy by Indianola that had access to like 10 farms, he never paid a dime, and he seemed to lose one and then gain another one yearly.

Kind of surprised me since it was so close to Des Moines.
I hunt several farms around my farm also. Both bow and shotgun. Never had a problem gaining access, but then I grew up on a farm in the area. Quite a different story for someone with no ties to the area trying to hunt shotgun. First or second season!

So you are saying there are farms near you that don't get hunted shotgun? Pretty hard to gain respect as a nonresident hunter in a small or large community. Like I said; it's next to impossible to get into a shotgun group where I live even as a resident. I can't imagine many groups reaching out for a one time nonresident hunter unless they have some sort of in with family or friends.
I know farms near me that 3-4 different groups hunt shot gun . I got one farmer who told me shoot every deer on his farm leave em all in the ditch and invite my friends to kill them . No ... I'm not kidding .

"sounds like" the guy is looking to pay $?? If that were the case, IMO - I'd "try" and connect with a NR landowner that MIGHT consider a very trusting guy to be there during a year that landowner didn't draw. Just an idea. I meet a lot of NR landowners that allow a select trusting guy to hunt their land, which isn't easy to find folks you can trust, etc but it can be done. Help the guy pay for food plots & keep eye on things, possible... Not easy but possible.
As a landowner who lives by ground, I can keep close eye on things. Even then, I have to be careful who I let go on my land. I have some trusted guys who legitimately help me out with stuff & I know that when they are on my land, they aren't doing "stupid stuff". Unfortunately, I've let some other people on my land in the past that left me scratching my head at all the "stupid stuff" and dishonest things they have done. ME.... I'm simply more cautious now but still allow a select few trusted folks on. OTHER PEOPLE.... I think there's others like me BUT there's also guys who have been burnt way too many times and said "DONE, NO MORE".
But - back to main point... IF the guy is looking to PAY, if it's an "attractive amount".... Maybe he'll have some success? I don't charge to hunt my land, just let my family hunt & a few buddies BUT I do know some guys where money is tight from year to year, they cautiously let a guy or 2 on and heck, some look at it like "hey, I found a trustworthy guy and his funds would pay my property tax bill coming up" for example. Or maybe food plot cost for the year. I don't think most are looking to make a profit but if you could help on land costs & your character/honesty is of high integrity, maybe find a guy. My 2 cents.

I agree on asking method- I have access to many farms, none of which I own or pay money for. just help with chores when needed and respect the land- when I lost one place- I seem to have no issue with getting another one. And this is in southern Iowa around prime areas....... I would either make some calls or knock on doors- plenty of land out there not being hunted that would surprise a lot of people that assume its already being hunted

I agree on asking method- I have access to many farms, none of which I own or pay money for. just help with chores when needed and respect the land- when I lost one place- I seem to have no issue with getting another one. And this is in southern Iowa around prime areas....... I would either make some calls or knock on doors- plenty of land out there not being hunted that would surprise a lot of people that assume its already being hunted
I agree.... If you can knock on doors, no brainer. But, being out of state, maybe he doesn't have time?
Here's one for you RESIDENTS.... For guys REALLY, SERIOUSLY willing to do help and ACTUALLY helping a farmer..... IF you actually do that & you are a good worker, honest & smart & really help a guy out.... You will retain permission on those farms. Guys actually willing to get dirty & sweaty and really work - it's incredibly RARE. It is. Lot of "talkers" but guys who actually do it - RARE. I'm telling you.... 9 out of 10 guys wanna show up to hunt, don't ever have time to help.
Agree & props to you guys that help some farmers out. SMART!

It might be tough to get access for shotgun. In my experience it's pretty tough for gaining permission anywhere in Iowa. It's WAY easier if you can say I'm a relation to so and so farmer, just down the road, than it is if you're some random dude.

It might be tough to get access for shotgun. In my experience it's pretty tough for gaining permission anywhere in Iowa. It's WAY easier if you can say I'm a relation to so and so farmer, just down the road, than it is if you're some random dude.

I certainly cannot say how it is everywhere in Iowa, but the area of the state that I am in would be very tough to get permission on a good farm when you are not known to the land owner. Now a few dollars being exchanged could certainly change that, but I think meyeri, above, is capturing the essence of the situation.

That is...it is one thing to get access when you are "known" in a neighborhood, it is quite another thing to get in on a good spot if you are someone that no one knows or has ever met, etc. In any event, good luck to you, I don't think it is a hopeless cause, but I would judge it to be a pretty tough challenge to come in from out of state and knock on doors and get a quality place to go after a nice buck.

"sounds like" the guy is looking to pay $?? If that were the case, IMO - I'd "try" and connect with a NR landowner that MIGHT consider a very trusting guy to be there during a year that landowner didn't draw. Just an idea. I meet a lot of NR landowners that allow a select trusting guy to hunt their land, which isn't easy to find folks you can trust, etc but it can be done. Help the guy pay for food plots & keep eye on things, possible... Not easy but possible.
As a landowner who lives by ground, I can keep close eye on things. Even then, I have to be careful who I let go on my land. I have some trusted guys who legitimately help me out with stuff & I know that when they are on my land, they aren't doing "stupid stuff". Unfortunately, I've let some other people on my land in the past that left me scratching my head at all the "stupid stuff" and dishonest things they have done. ME.... I'm simply more cautious now but still allow a select few trusted folks on. OTHER PEOPLE.... I think there's others like me BUT there's also guys who have been burnt way too many times and said "DONE, NO MORE".
But - back to main point... IF the guy is looking to PAY, if it's an "attractive amount".... Maybe he'll have some success? I don't charge to hunt my land, just let my family hunt & a few buddies BUT I do know some guys where money is tight from year to year, they cautiously let a guy or 2 on and heck, some look at it like "hey, I found a trustworthy guy and his funds would pay my property tax bill coming up" for example. Or maybe food plot cost for the year. I don't think most are looking to make a profit but if you could help on land costs & your character/honesty is of high integrity, maybe find a guy. My 2 cents.

I agree with this- and not just with farmers its amazing how many people offer to help with stands, food plots and all the other actual work that goes into having a nice place to hunt come winter- and then their phones magically seem to quit working until october 1 I certainly dont get it- hunting is a year round thing- if you can make the time to hunt many weekends- you can make the time to free up a few summer weekends to help a farmer or someone who takes you hunting. If not- thats on you for not having any place to hunt

Top Bottom