Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

1 Month Brassica Update

Central Iowa

Life Member
I tried getting them in the last week of July "wet or dry plant turnips on the 25th of July" but with a heavy soaking that week I had to wait untill the 4th of August to get them planted. I started with a order from Welter seeds and made a custom blend of 1# Purple Tops, 1/2# Barkant Turnip, 1/2# Appin Turnip, 1/3# Pasja Hybrid Brassica, 1/3# Bonar Rape,1/3# Dwarf Essex Rape per acre for a trotal of 3# per acre.
Measuring_Seed.JPG

August 4th I spread the seed with a hand seeder set on the finest setting on freshly disced ground. Gave it one pass with the cultipacker and waited and waited for rain. We received almost 1" a few weeks after planting but with available ground moisture and heavy dew most mornings it has done just fine.
The pictures taken below were 34 days apart. 1 week ago I spread fertilizer before a rain that should help quite a bit. Looks like we will have plenty of quality forage to help the deer through the winter if things continue as planned.
Brassica_8_4_08.JPG

Brassicas_9_6_081.JPG

Re: 1 MonthBrassica Update

Good looking plot you have there. Planted some turnips today, and it looks like we will be getting 1.5" + rain tonight and tomorrow.

WOW! Travis that really turned out nice. Looks like it could be a honey hole.

Looks great Travis!~~~~~ /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I am assuming you meant August 4th but we know what you meant... Looks good Travis!

Limb good eye! I'm good but that's a stretch!!!!! August 4th it was. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sept. 4th it was. </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Funny stuff! I'll fix it, let me know if I screw it up again /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif!

Looks like you have it down to a science Travis!

Let us know what the deer think of it this fall /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Looks amazing! I can't wait to see if ours looks anything like that, planted purple tops and rape a week later than you did. Had the same trouble with lack of rain for a while but lately has been good. Awesome pics, keep the updates coming!

Top Bottom